Doc Martin (Part 15 — Spoilers)

Comments

• NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To revisit an old controversy:
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=487749994636922&set=o.237356543005802&type=1This is pretty clearly his own wedding ring switched to his left hand for this series.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 219
    Forum Member
    Interesting you should refer to them as a "bloodless" couple. Blood comes into this in several ways. The Doc essentially got his blood up to have a longterm sexual relationship with Edith. And, with his hemophobia, am I right that blood and emotions/caring/feelings were related? So when he vomited it was a reaction to the sight or smell of blood - and blood represented caring about people? Consequently I'm curious: if he's conquered his blood phobia, what does that mean about his ability to acknowledge and process his feelings?

Of course I just couldn't resist using bloodless here, but you make some pertinent points, statesidefan. If everything in this show has meaning, double meaning, etc., perhaps the blood phobia plays an essential role. And if, as you say, blood to Martin is essentially connected to concern and caring for others, then his conquering it would put him back in a place where we don't want him. Maybe? I've never thought about how haemophobia might stand as a metaphor--perhaps others can come up with some hypotheses.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hello everyone, I found this on instagram
    Beware it does contain a spoiler...

http://statigr.am/p/498985096788574223_13664863

So I know Louisa gets a bruised cheek and also hurts her arm, this might be the doc seeing her off in the morning with JH? Telling her not to work that day maybe? I do like seeing the Doc holding JH :D

I'd love to see The Doc holding JH in on of those skin-on-skin pics that are popular now. Those big hands being oh-so-gentle and loving...

Oops ! Too early in the morning for those sort of thoughts

:o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blue-Eyes wrote: »
    I'd love to see The Doc holding JH in on of those skin-on-skin pics that are popular now. Those big hands being oh-so-gentle and loving...

Apologies Everyone !

I thought I had put this into a spoiler...

Obviously haven't quite got the knack of that yet...:o
    Forum Member
    ReneeBird wrote: »
    You are too kind, Last Romantic! I had already done one, but I kept thinking of different things to add. I still do, if I just had my daughters stethoscope. :rolleyes:
    Can you find the one thing that really doesn't belong? I couldn't help it, I just had to include one! :p

I don't have a clue--but then I am not into minutiae in the way that so many on this forum are. There seems to be several items that I would not be able to identify. And by the way, just to show how out of the loop I am, when I first looked at the photo I thought the idea was to find only one item out of the group that was Doc Martinesque! (It's been quite a while since I played I Spy with my kids.)

So, can some of you others help me with this?!! Please!
    Forum Member

Never too early in the morning....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reminds me of a MC interview where he talked about some actress trying to stick her tongue down his throat in a scene, and it seemed pretty clear he didn't like it. It seems a bit inconsiderate of your fellow actor. And maybe at that point, it isn't "acting" anymore--it's just "doing". Less is more sometimes, even in the acting game, and I get the feeling MC knows that based on his performances.

Amy Adams -Lois Lane in the new superman just out said (on the graham norton show) the director made her redo the kissing scenes until he could see a lot of tongue! :eek::eek::eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Where's the buddha Renee ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have not see William and Mary as yet but read the interview. Did not like the line beginning: "Men are unclean and are always trying to..." While I realize that she undoubtedly meant some men, and the piece was probably edited, it is unfortunate to see this kind of comment. Too many attacks against men these days!
    You MUST get to see William & Mary...

Just another point of view: don't bother!
    While s1 was ok it quickly descended to a depressing show about a nice guy who settled for a manipulative, bitchy, gold digger who he thought walked on water.
  • NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course I just couldn't resist using bloodless here, but you make some pertinent points, statesidefan. If everything in this show has meaning, double meaning, etc., perhaps the blood phobia plays an essential role. And if, as you say, blood to Martin is essentially connected to concern and caring for others, then his conquering it would put him back in a place where we don't want him. Maybe? I've never thought about how haemophobia might stand as a metaphor--perhaps others can come up with some hypotheses.

I think it is where we want him, Last Romantic. His blood phobia is not a substitute for caring and concern about others - and capacity for intimacy -- but, psychodynamically speaking, a defense against recognizing and acknowledging his desire for closeness and intimacy. Cognitive-behavioral therapy, such as he did under Dr. Milligan's supervision, does a good job of resolving such phobias, but the particular kind he did -- desensitization -- not such a good job of working on the underlying conflict. Still, he seems to have come a long way more or less on his own and perhaps we can expect that the haemophobia will not be nearly so troublesome in future.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apologies Everyone !

I thought I had put this into a spoiler...

Obviously haven't quite got the knack of that yet...:o

Well, if you have to put your last post in a spoiler, everything on this forum will need to be in a spoiler. You didn't "spoil" anything, Blue-Eyes!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BTW, Louisa's sling is pretty rubbish. Looks like it was rigged up by whomever tied up Louisa and the Doc in the Christmas special. Akin to being bound with artsy dental floss.
  • MofromcoMofromco Posts: 1,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cc.cookie wrote: »
    Just another point of view: don't bother!
    While s1 was ok it quickly descended to a depressing show about a nice guy who settled for a manipulative, bitchy, gold digger who he thought walked on water.

I agree that the story deteriorated especially in S3. For me, I'll take any opportunity to see MC. He is especially appealing in this role. I'd even watch the 1980's vintage Dr. Who even though it looks so lame and chintzy. I guess I'm just a fan.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 340
    Forum Member

And the salt - just a pinch
    Forum Member
    Mofromco wrote: »
    I agree that the story deteriorated especially in S3. For me, I'll take any opportunity to see MC. He is especially appealing in this role. I'd even watch the 1980's vintage Dr. Who even though it looks so lame and chintzy. I guess I'm just a fan.

Yes, we all pretty much agree that the story took a nose dive and most were very critical of Julie Graham's character but I still liked MC throughout - they did make his character a bit of a sap but he was still cute and sexy.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't have a clue--but then I am not into minutiae in the way that so many on this forum are. There seems to be several items that I would not be able to identify. And by the way, just to show how out of the loop I am, when I first looked at the photo I thought the idea was to find only one item out of the group that was Doc Martinesque! (It's been quite a while since I played I Spy with my kids.)

So, can some of you others help me with this?!! Please!
    dmbesotted wrote: »
    And the salt - just a pinch

Sorry, I'm not very good at this. I only planned to take a pic of 2 teacups with a box of digestives for Louisa and an egg for Doc, however, it just grew and grew and I became a little obsessed. The gold Buddha is in the asparagus fern smiling at us. Sorry, no salt, not even a pinch.
    Here's a list of everything in the pic:
    2 cups & saucers
    egg & egg cup
    Digestives
    Bottle of vitamin b-12 (for anemia)
    Pepper
    Water bottle (Bert's spring water)
    Sippy cup & red fire engine (to repres JH)
    Castle (in plant on left)
    3 dogs (prob can only see 1 facing Doc)
    Vase with yellow flowers
    Pony tail holder
    Notecards with markers
    Lamb (in small plant on right - there's a tiny fish in there too)
    Basket with onion, apple, two tomatoes & cucumber - tee hee
    Precious moments married couple (fingers crossed!)
    Bird (on top of railing, and 1 hanging under lights on left railing), and silver bird next to Doc's cup
    Cat (on railing - not too close)
    Butterfly chimes (also butterflies in 2 plants)
    Fish chimes
    Horse (which doesn't belong) behind water bottle with a dog on its back - can't see
    Oops, they each have gum for bad breath, and third dog is in basil plant on left next to fruit basket. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deleted because I was wrong. :)
  • Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Wrong about you, leaving, everything?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mmDerdekea wrote: »
    Thanks, cc.cookie!

It seems to me that both women pretty clearly wish to change DM.

Edith wants him to heal from his hemophobia, reassert his medical career, and move to the city where he can thrive as a surgeon. She accepts his personality as it is, and is not trying to change that at all. His lack of intimacy with her was an another emotional issue which needed healing, but overall who DM was was okay with her.

LG, on the other hand, wants him to change his personality, and reacts to his odd ways. She has a decided mindset about how love goes and lovers act (which most of us agree with!) and needs him to change to get somewhat closer to those ideals. As for locality, for most of the show, she wanted him to stay in PW, but we saw her flexibility in that regards in S5.
    NewPark wrote: »
    Isn't the realization that it would be unfair of her to marry ME with the desire or intention of changing him the stated reason (by CC) that LG did not go through with the S3 wedding?

And I do remember hearing or reading that MC said about S6 something to the effect that they had learned to be a bit more tolerant of each other and it made sense to try again (to get them together).

So I don't put Louisa in the same league as Edith in these stakes. But also, I don't dislike Edith at all -- I think if MC had not found LG and really fallen in love, he might have been quite comfortable in a renewed relationship with Edith.

Yes you are both right. How could I have forgotten that? :o
    Forum Member
    Sorry, I'm not very good at this. I only planned to take a pic of 2 teacups with a box of digestives for Louisa and an egg for Doc, however, it just grew and grew and I became a little obsessed. The gold Buddha is in the asparagus fern smiling at us. Sorry, no salt, not even a pinch.
    2 cups & saucers
    egg & egg cup
    Digestives
    Bottle of vitamin b-12 (for anemia)
    Pepper
    Water bottle (Bert's spring water)
    Sippy cup & red fire engine (to repres JH)
    Castle (in plant on left)
    3 dogs (prob can only see 1 facing Doc)
    Vase with yellow flowers
    Pony tail holder
    Notecards with markers
    Lamb (in small plant on right - there's a tiny fish in there too)
    Basket with onion, apple, two tomatoes & cucumber - tee hee
    Precious moments married couple (fingers crossed!)
    Bird (on top of railing, and 1 hanging under lights on left railing), and silver bird next to Doc's cup
    Cat (on railing - not too close)
    Butterfly chimes (also butterflies in 2 plants)
    Fish chimes
    Horse (which doesn't belong) behind water bottle with a dog on its back - can't see
    Oops, they each have gum for bad breath, and third dog is in basil plant on left next to fruit basket. :)

I thought the horse was actually a tribute to MC, and sorry, cat on railing ? Don't recall a cat - is this a play on Catz?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought the horse was actually a tribute to MC, and sorry, cat on railing ? Don't recall a cat - is this a play on Catz?

Yes, the horse is a tribute to MC, it doesn't belong in the PortWenn Universe. The cat is supposed to be funny because both Doc and Louisa hate cats (the episode with the cat and the elderly woman who has tb.)
  • Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't recall a cat - is this a play on Catz?

Technically, shouldn't there be at least two of them? :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shop Girl wrote: »
    Wrong about you, leaving, everything?

:D:D:D
    Wrong about London too?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, the horse is a tribute to MC, it doesn't belong in the PortWenn Universe. The cat is supposed to be funny because both Doc and Louisa hate cats (the episode with the cat and the elderly woman who has tb.)

Right after Doc tripped over Mrs. Avrill's cat Tom-Tom, Martin described the village as a petting zoo (dogs, cats, badgers) and he and Louisa agreed that they both hate cats. I always figured it was a little joke, a play on CC's surname.

Hey, Renee, your photo with all of the DM stuff is wonderful! How fun is that?
    Forum Member

Thanks, ReneeBird! I was confused about some of it--but with a little help and in the clear light of day, I see it all now! Except for the yellow flowers--where did they come in? Or is that for the flower Louisa put in Martin's lapel? Anyone?
This discussion has been closed.