smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    So are they just going to let IS walk right through them?:confused:>:(
    Is Turkey going to get stuffed by xmas?
  • Options
    Phil_CoulthardPhil_Coulthard Posts: 2,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think Turkey will be as easy a push over as Syria and Iraq. It could be an interesting battle the Turks and IS. If IS make too much ground with in Turkey I'm sure the EU will throw what they can behind the Turks. They don't want IS on the doorstep of Europe
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I wonder if Turkey is waiting for IS to destroy the Kurds before it steps in ?
  • Options
    PrestonAlPrestonAl Posts: 10,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think Turkey will be as easy a push over as Syria and Iraq. It could be an interesting battle the Turks and IS. If IS make too much ground with in Turkey I'm sure the EU will throw what they can behind the Turks. They don't want IS on the doorstep of Europe

Turkey would wipe the floor with ISIS. They also have the backing of NATO if they want it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »

From what I understand they have got 4 of 5 Tanks pointing towards the Syria border. I think the moment destroy the Kurds and run across the border then they'll be interested.

If IS get rid of the Kurds even better for the Turks
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PrestonAl wrote: »
    Turkey would wipe the floor with ISIS. They also have the backing of NATO if they want it.

I don't think you can 'wipe the floor' with ISIS, if you cut the head of the serpent a new one will grow.

Turkey won't need to call for help. NATO won't let ISIS get to Istanbul and cross in to Europe.
  • Options
    ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member

Sadly, I suspect that's exactly what they're doing :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Electra wrote: »
    Sadly, I suspect that's exactly what they're doing :(

The Kurds will be rolled over very soon. They've tried to fight the good fight but loosing, wouldn't be suprised if IS cross the border in the next few days
  • Options
    misawa97misawa97 Posts: 11,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PKK thugs running through Turkey looting, burning property, attacking men with beards.

These jokers are pathetic.
  • Options
    phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At least the women with beards are safe then...
  • Options
    AdsAds Posts: 37,062
    Forum Member
    I doubt ISIS have any current plans to attack Turkey - they seem to have some sort of agreement with the Islamist Turkish government
  • Options
    Blockz99Blockz99 Posts: 5,045
    Forum Member

they are indeed.....the Islamist Erdogan doesn't seem to be worried by IS :o
    Its clear he has done some sort of deal with them ....more fool him if he thinks this death cult will abide by any agreement.
  • Options
    OvertheUnderOvertheUnder Posts: 4,764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the US and Turkey are playing the long game. If Kobane falls and is subjected to a massacre then it gives Turkey a legitimate reason to react defensively. It also allows the US to give a reason to send in ground troops similar to how Bengazi.played out in Libya.

Obama is looking to legitimise an invasion and the fall of Kobane is the perfect storm.
  • Options
    trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At least the women with beards are safe then...

:D:D:D
    misawa97 wrote: »
    PKK thugs running through Turkey looting, burning property, attacking men with beards.

Oh, I think you're being a little disingenuous here. I think it is the "men with beards" across the border that did the first attacking. And beheading. And looting of tanks and weaponry.

I have every sympathy with the Kurds. They seem to be the most civilised of the lot of them. Even seem to realise what century they are living in.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    misawa97 wrote: »

yes how dare Turkish Kurds riot as Turkey stands back and watches Kurdish women being raped , men and children murdered and beheaded....better to be a joker than a beheader
  • Options
    FlibustierFlibustier Posts: 994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So are they just going to let IS walk right through them?:confused:>:(

Sunni Turkey trained and armed a lot of the ISIS fighters on Government orders and released them into syria to topple shia Assad. This backfired in spectacular fashion. The WASP media is always fearful of writing negative articles concerning Turkey.

Since then the Turks have been protective of the ISIS fighters - they were the only nation in the region to deny the US authority to bomb ISIS from its territory. They also have refused to openly criticize ISIS!!

BTW Cameron believes Turkey should be admitted into the EU and it was a mistake to let in Greece...;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flibustier wrote: »
    Sunni Turkey trained and armed a lot of the ISIS fighters on Government orders and released them into syria to topple shia Assad. This backfired in spectacular fashion. The WASP media is always fearful of writing negative articles concerning Turkey.

Since then the Turks have been protective of the ISIS fighters - they were the only nation in the region to deny the US authority to bomb ISIS from its territory. They also have refused to openly criticize ISIS!!

BTW Cameron believes Turkey should be admitted into the EU and it was a mistake to let in Greece...;-)

So does Blair
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blockz99 wrote: »
    they are indeed.....the Islamist Erdogan doesn't seem to be worried by IS :o
    Its clear he has done some sort of deal with them ....more fool him if he thinks this death cult will abide by any agreement.

Won't stop with Turkey will carry on prob have their eyes set on Israel some time in the near future
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Won't stop with Turkey will carry on prob have their eyes set on Israel some time in the near future

IS will not be able to take over or run riot in Turkey or Israel ...lets not get too carried away with the news....they will be stopped and wiped out but it will take time.
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Turkey hates the Kurds & Assad more than it hates IS. They are hoping the latter will help deal with the former and then they can think about dealing with IS.

I'm reminded of Cabaret and Michael York saying "You still think you can control them?" at the end of "Tomorrow belongs to me"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blockz99 wrote: »
    IS will not be able to take over or run riot in Turkey or Israel ...lets not get too carried away with the news....they will be stopped and wiped out but it will take time.

Are you sure cos last time I checked an alliance of 60 countries aren't holding back IS. These guys are not a rag tag bunch terrorist, they're living by their ideals. Turkey are more than likely to stop them but IS will give them a good damned fight.
  • Options
    FlibustierFlibustier Posts: 994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Turkey has no interest in stopping IS. Turkish leaders believe in Neo Ottomanism as they constantly allude to in speeches and they want more regional power. The more destruction IS cause in the region, the more Turkey can exert its influence.

ISIS will never go after Turkey. Turkey trained and armed most of them. They wont bite the hand that feeds them.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Perhaps Turkey thinks that it's easier for them to allow the Kurds and IS to exhaust each other.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Thought it was kinda funny the way some Turkish pol' was whining, yesterday, about how air-strikes aren't going to be successful in stopping IS.

Yeah, if only there were some ground forces involved, eh?