Options

Moving Home

sands11sands11 Posts: 700
Forum Member
✭✭
We moved two weeks ago and have kept our cat in at the new house so far.
However this morning I went outside and he escaped out the door. I expected he would be straight back but its now nearly 10 hours and I am worried sick.
We have been out looking but no sign except for some footprints around the front of the house.
I have been back to the old house too which is about 5 miles away but no sign of him there.
Is there a chance he will find his way back here, I dont know what to do.:cry:

Comments

• Options
    Lobelia OverhilLobelia Overhil Posts: 531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My cat did that when we moved house, I went out one morning wearing the t-shirt I'd worn in bed the night before and without getting washed, I walked around the general area calling for her for a while. I did this two days running and she came back the next night ... oddly enough she came to the back door, despite having run out the front door!

Hope your kitteh comes back!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,044
    Forum Member
    I know it's cold but I would venture out into the garden again with a torch. If he doesn't know where he is, he's likely to be sat rigid under a hedge/in a border somewhere or under your car.

If you take a torch and maybe rattle his dry food or even your keys I'm sure you'll see his little eyes blinking back at you soon enough - he won't have gone far, I'm sure.
  • Options
    sands11sands11 Posts: 700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank you so much.
    I went out with a torch, wearing my old dressing gown and within a few minutes he was back. He's safely in the house now asleep.
    The new neighbours probably think I am insane though.
    Thanks again.
  • Options
    Constant PMTConstant PMT Posts: 3,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have moved that many times in the last 8 years of having my cat, that the last time I didn't even keep her in at all. Cats are clever things & seem to know there way back.
    I did have a kitten wonder off once, but thankfully she had my number on her collar & someone rang saying she followed them home.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So pleased for you OP. I would have been just as distraught as you in the same situation.
  • Options
    wildpumpkinwildpumpkin Posts: 1,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Roooty wrote: »
    So pleased for you OP. I would have been just as distraught as you in the same situation.

Oh so am I glad he's back and nice and snugly in his new home.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,044
    Forum Member
    sands11 wrote: »
    Thank you so much.
    I went out with a torch, wearing my old dressing gown and within a few minutes he was back. He's safely in the house now asleep.
    The new neighbours probably think I am insane though.
    Thanks again.

That's good to hear. :) They can drive you sick with worry. I remember this happening on one occasion when I took my cats to visit my parents. One made a bolt for the garden as it was getting dark and disappeared for a couple of hours. They had never seen the dark outdoors before and whilst we thought one had gone awol, he was sat just sat bewildered under their hedge, just a couple of feet from where he usually sits.:rolleyes:

Parents of cats do all sorts of mad things out of worry, I've done much the same..and in the pouring rain. I gave him a real telling off when he came slinking back from next door smelling of perfume and cigarettes!:mad::D The next door neighbours must have had a real laugh with a cat curled up by their fire, watching me walk about like a demented drowned rat, calling for him:D