Depressing Corrie

13»

Comments

• CatmittensCatmittens Posts: 1,507
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    _NiallDEE_ wrote: »
    This. It really annoys me that I'm seeing so many posts referring to her as Harold recently. I know she's not actually a real person but it's bordering on transphobia for me. If Hayley was a real person and people were referring to her as Harold then that would be completely unacceptable.

In terms of the episode last night, yes they were depressing but what were people expecting with the nature of the content? I actually thought it was really well done and the best Corrie episodes in a while.

Completely agree with your post, Niall. :)
  • Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member
    MrJames wrote: »
    Devastatingly sad, but a good piece of drama I thought.

I agree, they were the two best episodes of Corrie I've watched in quite some time. Julie and David are two outstanding actors.
  • Charley Says...Charley Says... Posts: 1,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This. It really annoys me that I'm seeing so many posts referring to her as Harold recently. I know she's not actually a real person but it's bordering on transphobia for me. If Hayley was a real person and people were referring to her as Harold then that would be completely unacceptable.

In terms of the episode last night, yes they were depressing but what were people expecting with the nature of the content? I actually thought it was really well done and the best Corrie episodes in a while.

I completely disagree with your post Niaomi... ;-)
    On the other hand Hayrold deserves it... :)
  • TheGreenManTheGreenMan Posts: 633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    More that anything Corrie's getting tedious. The continuing David/Tina/Nick/Leanne fallout grabs lot of airtime. Predictably there'll be plenty of affairs (zzzz...) if Stuart Blackburn's tenure at Emmerdale is taken as a model.

If there's an alternative to Corrie on these days I generally watch it. Then you can come back to Corrie later on and find you missed.... well not much.
  • JetsonJetson Posts: 13,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agent F wrote: »
    I agree, they were the two best episodes of Corrie I've watched in quite some time. Julie and David are two outstanding actors.
    Agreed.

It's torment to watch but only because they're such a loveable couple and individually so well drawn, and the acting is phenomenal, and the emotion is real.

It's raw and sad but also filled with heart-warming elements.

Hayley found out she had less than a month to be alive with her husband and friends, she was hardly going to do cartwheels and keep a stiff upper lip and be like 'okay, least I know'.

Funny how terrified of emotion and death people are in this society to be criticising Corrie for playing a sad story in a sad way.

If it didn't make me cry I'd think something was either wrong with me, or wrong with the writing.
  • IWasBoredIWasBored Posts: 3,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it was me I'd spend it doing a reading/writing/film watching/music listening marathon. It's kind of overwrought
  • WhedoniteWhedonite Posts: 29,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree. It was always quite disturbing when Les would refer to Hayley as Harold. I have no idea why some posters think it's fine to make comments like that, just because Hayley is fictional. The "funny" comments are aimed at something that is very real.
  • barlowconnorbarlowconnor Posts: 38,120
    Forum Member
    I found the episodes sad on Friday but they were made standable as the actors can act them.
  • PamthehoundPamthehound Posts: 5,333
    Forum Member
    It is depressing and I wish Haley/Harold would hurry up and kick the bucket asap ( anybody know when she dies) also the Nick Leanne crap is awful and as for Tina and Barlow wouldn't happen I real life.

Its time Corrie had a good clean out ,to much dead wood characters and poor storylines.

Bring back Les and Suranne and maybe even Reg
  • bornfreebornfree Posts: 16,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I completely disagree with your post Niaomi... ;-)
    On the other hand Hayrold deserves it... :)

Who is Hayrold? If you meant Hayley it would be nice to refer to her by her name Hayley.
  • bornfreebornfree Posts: 16,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I totally agree with you. The storyline might be depressing, but it is about the illness and as someone else said, soaps have to deal with all sorts of things otherwise there would be no need to have a family soap. People who don't like certain story lines don't have to watch it. Again referring to Hayley as Harold is totally unacceptable and like you I think it is bordering on prejudice and ignorance about how the world is changing.
  • PopsiemiaPopsiemia Posts: 5,135
    Forum Member
    Yes it was a very sad episode but we all knew it was coming. I thought it was really good actually although the consultant did not behave in the way you would expect. Having said that, when my mum was terminally ill, her own doctor was about the same, so not all doctors get it right.
    Have to agree about the Consultant (in real life they can be even more callous......one who was dealing with my Husband couldn't wait to get us out of his Consulting Room door when he had to tell us that my Husband's biopsy was not ok as we had originally been told by him that it was.....and that he was referring my Husband to a Consultant in another Hospital and that we didn't need to come back and see him any more.....we were almost pushed out of the Consulting Room door, and that is no exaggeration either).
    I love Hayley and Roy,and wish they had never gone down this particular storyline route as we can never ever have Hayley back, but this is just so upsetting now.
    I though that Hayley would die on New Year's Eve or New Year's Day as when Roy and her spoke about when she would take her own life she said something along the lines of not today or tomorrow (think it was Monday's episode when she said that).