Options

Derek hitting Carol

CherryRoseCherryRose Posts: 13,198
Forum Member
✭✭
There is no way Carol would EVER speak to him again after that and there is no way Max or Jack would ever stand back and allow Derek to get away with hitting Carol.

Comments

• Options
    HankshawHankshaw Posts: 4,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Carol had hit Derek in the heat of the moment, he'd be expected not to hold a grudge.

I'm sure she'll get over it.
  • Options
    The Queen VicThe Queen Vic Posts: 5,775
    Forum Member
    I'm sure he will worm his way back into her affections, he's her big brother and he's very manipulative.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hate derek. can't believe he did that. She's a grown woman, and not even his wife or daughter not that it would be any better for him to do that to them. But it seems weird being so bossy about your sister.
  • Options
    Sifter22Sifter22 Posts: 12,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Think it was to show how nasty Derek really is
  • Options
    CherryRoseCherryRose Posts: 13,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sure he will worm his way back into her affections, he's her big brother and he's very manipulative.

Well if he does it won't be true to any of Carol, Jacks or Maxs characters.

I think EE might be building up to Jack and Max being the ones to getting shot of Derek.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 39
    Forum Member
    Hankshaw wrote: »
    If Carol had hit Derek in the heat of the moment, he'd be expected not to hold a grudge.

there is never an excuse for hitting a woman and using the heat of the moment as an excuse is just disgusting

(as a victim of domestic abuse)
  • Options
    IdentityIdentity Posts: 1,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can imagine a man hitting a woman under certain circumstances, like if Phil had slapped Stella, I would have understood, although it is always better to stay well away from violence.

Derek hitting Carol was not because she did something really extremely awful (like child abuse, or murder), so it can not be justified. It also was not self defence, or a reflex ( like when Dennis hit Sharon when she turned up behind him).

His behaviour can not be excused. If I were Carol, i'd call the police. If I were David, I'd have spoken to Carol about calling the police about all the threats. That way they could live safely for a while. And as soon as the Mighty Toad would be out and bother them again,call the cops again, or get a restraining order, or both.

Derek is one vile man.
  • Options
    performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was a proper smack too, not your usual theatrical soap slap. I felt it!
  • Options
    Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member

If Carol hit Derek it would be because he's a vile, aggressive, controlling little thug. Derek hit Carol precisely because he's a vile, aggressive, controlling little thug.
  • Options
    HankshawHankshaw Posts: 4,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OhMyStarz wrote: »
    there is never an excuse for hitting a woman and using the heat of the moment as an excuse is just disgusting

(as a victim of domestic abuse)

There's never an excuse for hitting anyone.
    Identity wrote: »
    I can imagine a man hitting a woman under certain circumstances, like if Phil had slapped Stella, I would have understood, although it is always better to stay well away from violence.

Derek hitting Carol was not because she did something really extremely awful (like child abuse, or murder), so it can not be justified. It also was not self defence, or a reflex ( like when Dennis hit Sharon when she turned up behind him).
    Agent F wrote: »
    Derek hit Carol precisely because he's a vile, aggressive, controlling little thug.

Derek was frantically unpacking Carol's suitcase. He was angry and as Carol tried to pull him away he lashed out and hit her.

Stop trying to make out he's some sister beating thug.
  • Options
    Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member
    Derek was frantically unpacking Carol's suitcase. He was angry and as Carol tried to pull him away he lashed out and hit her.

That's exactly what he is.

I have never 'lashed out' at anyone in my life and that's the god's honest truth, no matter how angry or frantic I was.

We know he's a thug. We know exactly what he's capable of. He thinks he can control Carol. He still thinks she's 14. He didn't like the fact that she stood up to him and refused to 'obey'.
  • Options
    rick182rick182 Posts: 11,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I bet many people have hit their sisters!.. I have but as a kid and I guess the majority of people who have done were kids at the time!... So yes its wrong so wrong in adulthood
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 39
    Forum Member
    There's never an excuse for hitting anyone.

I never said there was an excuse for hitting anyone. How can you say there is no excuse and then justify him hitting her in the next breathe :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    OhMyStarz wrote: »
    I never said there was an excuse for hitting anyone. How can you say there is no excuse and then justify him hitting her in the next breathe :confused:

The way you said it made it sound like hitting her was wrong only because she's a woman. That would be quite a sexist view to have. Violence is wrong regardless of gender.

One hit does not make him a sister beating thug.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 449
    Forum Member
    He's just a vile human being. And we know it's not the first time he's hit a woman. Just before he slapped Carol he said that he's hit his girlfriend a few times and tried to blame it on David. :rolleyes:

He's just a horrible, controlling man and the sooner he's gone the better
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just hate the way he dominates everyone so quickly, he's been out of their lives for years and comes waltzing back in and takes over.

I could understand more if it was over a longer period of time he worked his way back in but to spring up out of prison for 10 years (and I assume Carol didnt see much of him before that) and be the boss stretches credibility.

I wonder why Carol doesnt ask Jack or Max for help...maybe she's been on the same pills as Zainab....
  • Options
    ManOfEastManOfEast Posts: 559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was a proper smack too, not your usual theatrical soap slap. I felt it!

This.

Usually the "slap" can be seen coming from 7000 miles away and it feels staged. I think this one was so unexpected because you felt for that split second "no, he wouldn't really" and it really seemed to have some oomph.
  • Options
    grahamzxygrahamzxy Posts: 11,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ManOfEast wrote: »
    This.

Usually the "slap" can be seen coming from 7000 miles away and it feels staged. I think this one was so unexpected because you felt for that split second "no, he wouldn't really" and it really seemed to have some oomph.

The scene was played excellently, I was convinced it was a real argument and a real slap. a lot of people on the main EE thread seem to think Derek could not be real. I doubt those people have known too many violent control freaks.
  • Options
    valtimmyvaltimmy Posts: 7,158
    Forum Member
    CherryRose wrote: »
    There is no way Carol would EVER speak to him again after that and there is no way Max or Jack would ever stand back and allow Derek to get away with hitting Carol.

Yes I agree. If my brother hit me like that, I would disown him!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know he's not real, but I actually detest Derek. :mad:

He is a thug, and he's got serious anger issues. What makes me so cross is that he's on licence yet nobody reports him! Brother or not, Carol should have phoned the Police straight away to say that she'd just been assaulted by someone on licence. He'd be back inside straight away.
  • Options
    IdentityIdentity Posts: 1,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He might have been frantic, but he should not have touched the suitcase to begin with. As he then proceeded with a deadthreat.

Most people who do something in the heat of the moment regret it right after. Derek did not, he wasn't shocked or appalled by himself, but acted like it was his right to do so.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Identity wrote: »
    He might have been frantic, but he should not have touched the suitcase to begin with. As he then proceeded with a deadthreat.

Most people who do something in the heat of the moment regret it right after. Derek did not, he wasn't shocked or appalled by himself, but acted like it was his right to do so.

I've met a man like that before. His attitude was "I own this family, I can do whatever I like to them"; which included physical abuse. :eek:

All credit to the actor who plays Derek because he does portray that inner anger combined with belief that he's within his rights to do such a thing very well. I find the character utterly detestable.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i hate Derek after last nights performance:mad:
  • Options
    Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Are we supposed to hate Derek? I think most people do...
  • Options
    D. MorganD. Morgan Posts: 4,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He hit her last week too. I don't understand why she doesn't tell Max and Jack?