Mario Kart 8 "A Communication Error Has Occurred"

syko29793syko29793 Posts: 99
Forum Member
I am sick to death of this error message. it keeps cutting me off. Anyone else having this issue with MK8?
Anyone know how to fix it?

Comments

• -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    It seems this is the cause, hopefully Nintendo will fix it.
    http://youtu.be/KDRr43M10F4
  • DazerUKDazerUK Posts: 1,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I get it whilst waiting in the voting lobby. I've never been disconnected whilst in a race.
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've DC'ed twice in a race which is about 100 times less than the amount of times I'd DC in the same time period in MKWii.
    However, there does seem to be some glitch that if someone leaves the pre-game lobby before voting and no-one else joins before the countdown ends, the lobby DCs.

Hopefully Nintendo will patch this soon.
    They can patch the rubbish online item distribution too while they're at it. ;-)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 198
    Forum Member
    They can patch the rubbish online item distribution too while they're at it. ;-)

What's bad about it?

I definitely have the feeling that it's hard to recover after a knock back, and for some reason there is always a chain reaction.

And no one is safe haha. I spent the near entirety of a race in 1st, then got a blue shell, then got a red shell, then got a second red shell.

But there doesn't seem to be a good balance for those at the bottom, it's always just a mushroom of a red shell, rarely do I get the bullet bill or star when I'm at the back.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zoralink wrote: »
    What's bad about it?

Exactly this:
    But there doesn't seem to be a good balance for those at the bottom, it's always just a mushroom of a red shell, rarely do I get the bullet bill or star when I'm at the back.

I'm not sure if it's a glitch or if it was intentional, but the items are very much biased towards the middle positions and the last place items are absolutely awful.

I don't mind the items you get in first. Coins make frontrunning more risky, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.
    However, in last place I expect to be getting items such as the bullet bill, the shock or the golden mushroom, but when I'm in last I never get anything other than a single shroom or a single green shell (or if I'm lucky, a star, but stars have been so badly nerfed that they're virtually useless, unless there are a number of off-road shortcuts close-by)

In fact, I have only ever gotten such items in 8th or 9th place and never in last. Surely there's something wrong when you are getting a single mushroom or a green shell and people in front of you are getting bullet bills and shocks? That's why I'm having trouble believing this was intentional.
  • syko29793syko29793 Posts: 99
    Forum Member
    It's getting worse.

Now all i keep getting is

Error code 118-0521
    Please try again later
    support information
    1. 5.0.0e
    2. WUP-101(03)
    3. FEF101346519
    4. AMKO.0200.7375

No idea what any of this means apart from im ready for putting the WII U on Ebay.

I have never played a Nintendo game that is so full of bugs and i started in 1988 with a nes an R.O.B (remember that?).

Come on Nintendo sort it out.
  • samcains90samcains90 Posts: 4,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An online game is always going to have some technical hitches at the beginning - even a Nintendo one unfortunately.
    Forum Member
    i accept that there can be issues with a new game BUT

1. Every other match disconnecting
    2. matches hanging and then kicking you off
    3. Error message with no clear explaination of whats gone wrong.
    4. Being 2 seconds from the finish line in first place and then you get "A communications error has occurred" and get cut off.

Also i keep losing points for leaving a match early but only because i keep getting cut off.

This is a bad bug ridden game
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    syko29793 wrote: »
    i accept that there can be issues with a new game BUT

1. Every other match disconnecting
    2. matches hanging and then kicking you off
    3. Error message with no clear explaination of whats gone wrong.
    4. Being 2 seconds from the finish line in first place and then you get "A communications error has occurred" and get cut off.

Also i keep losing points for leaving a match early but only because i keep getting cut off.

This is a bad bug ridden game

Sorry, it must just be you.
    Granted, I too have the lobby disconnecting problem, but I'm sure it will be patched soon. Even then, I don't experience this glitch all that often (Probably around once every 10 games).

However, I've experienced none of your other problems. I've only DC'ed twice in the middle of a race out of over a hundred races and I've never experienced an error message except when my internet was down, so I suggest you get your internet connection checked out first before blaming them game.

The game's only problem is the lobby DC glitch. The rest is just you.
    Forum Member
    I have a 70 meg FTTC broadband connection and have no issues with internet and router shows no disconnections at all.
    This game is a bug ridden mess and Nintendo should be ashamed they let this game out.

Just to be clear i am a 100% Nintendo fan and i hate saying these things about this game BUT Nintendo you have let me down and PLEASE fix this.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    syko29793 wrote: »
    I have a 70 meg FTTC broadband connection and have no issues with internet and router shows no disconnections at all.
    This game is a bug ridden mess and Nintendo should be ashamed they let this game out.

Just to be clear i am a 100% Nintendo fan and i hate saying these things about this game BUT Nintendo you have let me down and PLEASE fix this.

A friend of mine has assured me that the lobby disconnection bug has been patched. I played for a few hours yesterday without a single disconnection so perhaps he's right.
    Forum Member
    A friend of mine has assured me that the lobby disconnection bug has been patched. I played for a few hours yesterday without a single disconnection so perhaps he's right.

Yes it does look like a Nintendo has issued a patch as i have had 2 days of play and not one disconnection. Well done Nintendo.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    Hi All
    Finally found a fix to the communication error. before the fix I was kicked out of online mario kart matches pretty much every map but i found this. I did not need to set up a DMZ or anything like that.
    I followed the instructions in the below link and haven't been kicked since.

1: If you have a Windows XP/Vista/7 pc, click the windows icon in the bottom left corner (the Start Button icon).

2: Type cmd into the search bar at the bottom and a black window will come up. Type in “ipconfig” (without the quotation marks), and information about your internet will come up. This information can be used to manually configure your internet settings on the Wii U.

3: Write down the numbers for the IPV4, subnet mask, and default gateway. You also must have your security key which should be located in your router/modem settings.

4: Now, go to the internet connection menu on the Wii U and press connection settings.

5: Press manual configuration.

6: Now, type in your SSID (the name of your network), choose your security type (should be in your route’s settings) and input your security key.

7: Next, press the ip settings and hit “do not auto obtain”. Use the information “ipconfig” to fill in the information. For this step, make sure to increase the last two digits of your IP address by 10. For example, 192.168.1.11 would become 192.168.1.21.

Note: Adding 10 is not specific. You can try adding 11, 12, etc…(I do recommend trying to add just the 10 to the last digits first, this should work and is much less confusing, if not then come back and try this note.)

8: Once you confirm, a message will pop up, telling you to configure your DNS settings. Continue with the configuration.

9: Once again, hit “do not auto obtain” and use the number 8.8.8.8 for primary DNS, and 8.8.4.4 for seconday DNS (these are Google’s free DNS servers). You may also use your Internet Provider’s DNS servers, which should be listed in the “Status” page of your router’s settings.

10: Save these settings and perform a connection test.

If these steps fail, wait a few hours and try again or move your Wii U closer to your router, if possible.

Source: http://www.crashwiki.com/manually-set-online-wii-u-connection-ign-wiki/

Goodluck and see you online :)