Crimes of Passion (Swedish crime drama) BBC4

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    I always try to ignore critics' opinions

In this case, sad to say, the critics were right.
  • scotchscotch Posts: 10,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched for about 40 minutes, then gave up.

It reminded me of a poor 'Agatha Christie/Midsomer Murders'

Would rather have seen the Montalbano repeat.
  • BosoxBosox Posts: 14,179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    scotch wrote: »

Yes, it left me thinking that if it hadn't been for the subtitles it was the sort of programme that wouldn't have been out of place on ITV.
  • via_487via_487 Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good to see Ola Rapace again. I missed him when he left Wallander and, for me, the program was worth watching just for him :).

But I agree with most of the posters here, it was all a little disappointing after The Killing and The Bridge, but watchable nevertheless. And I quite liked the idea of a Swedish version of Agatha Christie.

As also said, if it's a choice between crimes Of Passion, Casualty and XFactor (or repeats on all the other channels), I will give this another go next week.

Not bad, but could do better :).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    solare wrote: »
    My favourite line was: "Does anyone have any flares?"

To which someone should have replied: "Of course not. They won't be in fashion for another 20 yrs".

What they meant was WARNING FLARES that is used by boats it has nothing to do with clothes!!!!:confused:
  • suesuesuesuesuesue Posts: 16,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Would rather have seen the Montalbano repeat.
    BIB One of the characters said halfway through "it's like Ten Little Indians"

Sticking my head above the parapet I quite enjoyed it but seem to be in a minority. Not all Scandi drama is going to be of Borgen/Bron quality but that doesn't make it bad. Yes it was Midsomer/Christie ish and probably wouldn't have got slated if it was a UK production such is the high bar we set for Nordic product. It kept me interested and I suspected 2 of the cast wrongly so it did it's job but maybe I'm not cut out to be a detective :p
  • davey_waveydavey_wavey Posts: 27,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed it. Not as good as some other shows I've enjoyed in that slot, like Spiral and The Bridge, but it was obviously a different tone and style of programme. I love a good mystery and this was entertaining enough. I'll keep it on series link :)
  • duncannduncann Posts: 11,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked it because it was beautifully shot and atmospheric with a handsome cast but basically it was an ITV Marple in Swedish and just as unbelievable and untaxing. It was puff but not what I'd expect to see on BBC4 at 9.00pm.

BBC4 lost its clever controller Richard Klein a couple of years ago and you can now see how bad that has been for Beeb4. The channel does not understand why we loved this slot: not because it was in Euro languages but because Spiral, Wallander, The Killing, Borgen etc. were all unusual, contemporary, issue-led, socially observant crime dramas of impeccable class that analysed and reflected a lot back to us about ourselves, our politics, society, humanity and so in in this new century.

Now we are just getting anything made by the same countries, producers and actors - this was just a glossy whodunit plot but it lacked depth or any comment or insight on modern Northern European life or even life in the 50s.
  • Chas1989Chas1989 Posts: 157
    Forum Member
    Enjoyed this. Certainly nothing like its Swedish friend The Bridge but it was a watchable mystery show.
  • solaresolare Posts: 11,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    baldbilluk wrote: »
    What they meant was WARNING FLARES that is used by boats it has nothing to do with clothes!!!!:confused:
    I know. It was intended as a joke. ;-)
  • parthenaparthena Posts: 2,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    solare wrote: »
    I know. It was intended as a joke. ;-)

I knew you knew, Solare ;)
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Midsomer Murders with added Hurdy Gurdy.
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    Midsomer Murders with added Hurdy Gurdy.

And less fun. Maybe something was lost in translation, but where Midsomer is witty and never takes itself too seriously, Crimes of Passion is silly but also rather humourless.
  • jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,564
    Forum Member

Same here. Didn't engage me at all.
  • crisso69crisso69 Posts: 110
    Forum Member
    Was that meant to be a 'Solar-e Flare'..... ;-) (boom boom!)

Back on track, I thought CoP was watchable without being earth-shattering. Anyway, next weeks episode is set in a different environment so, I'm willing to give it another go.

(ps I liked 'Those Who Kill' - yes, it wasn't as deep as 'The Killing' but again, watchable and there were familiar Danish actors in it.)
  • LondonKiwiLondonKiwi Posts: 2,102
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was Mad Men crossed with Agatha Christie. I thought a couple of times that the detective was doing a Don Draper impression.
  • ricardoyluciaricardoylucia Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We thoroughly enjoyed it. It was beautifully shot with an excellent cast.

Yes, it was like Miss Marple...but so what..

We new it was going to be totally different to The Bridge etc and it was a good mystery..it was very entertaining....will keep on series link...
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mr Madras wrote: »
    In this case, sad to say, the critics were right.

Not necessarily....

The critics didn't like it but I did

Who's to say who was right??
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would have been more interesting if one of them had spontaneously combusted from all that alcohol intake.
    Spouse seemed to spend a lot of time wondering how Puck fitted all those clothes in a small suitcase. This indicates that it was not a very engaging programme.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    Not necessarily....

The critics didn't like it but I did

Who's to say who was right??

I don't think it's you. :D:D:D
  • Miriam_RMiriam_R Posts: 4,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found this slightly boring. I saw Tuva Novotny in ID:A and when I read she was in this and the narrative of C.P I was really hoping this would have a suspense to it too, not necessarily the same as ID:A as they're different stories obv, but the plot and some cast members did have me hoping and expecting more. The scenery, setting and costume were visually nice, no disputing that, but story wise it left me wanting so much more.
  • Omniconsumer93Omniconsumer93 Posts: 735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We all enjoyed it. Sure, it was a bit fluffy but it was a nice break from the relentless depression of Montalbano et al.

Not sure why so many people hated it, it was exactly what it was billed as - Mad Men crossed with Agatha Christie.
  • TeddybleadsTeddybleads Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member
    I was disappointed. It looked lovely, great scenery and very pretty cast but I found the plot laboured and obvious. The whole possible romance between Puck and the policeman seemed to be based on nothing at all apart from a few lingering glances and some references in the dialogue. It didn't seem credible. I had the culprit picked out almost from before the murder and as I had very little to go on I found I didn't really care when they started dropping like flies (apart from Mrs. 1950's cartoon wife who seemed the only likable character). Linus Wahlgren is a great looking lad but I'm not sure he was well cast in this either.

I'll give it another go.
  • scotchscotch Posts: 10,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well despite finding this a very poor Agatha Christie/Midsomer Murders imitation last week i'll give it another go tonight.

Though It's not in the same league of programmes I'm used to in this slot.
  • victor melvictor mel Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gave it 10 mins and that was enough to give up. Old fashioned in vibe not my thing.