The Tennis Thread (Part 27)

Comments

• Thomas007Thomas007 Posts: 14,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Britain are only 6/1 to win the Davis Cup on Betfair. They have a very good chance of winning it this year.
  • detroitcitydetroitcity Posts: 4,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thomas007 wrote: »
    Britain are only 6/1 to win the Davis Cup on Betfair. They have a very good chance of winning it this year.

That's not the true price though. There's no liquidity in the market and no one is trying to back them. They were backed at around 12's earlier today which is a bit more like it.
  • Cloudy2Cloudy2 Posts: 6,862
    Forum Member

No chance. I wouldn't bet on GB at 6-1. 60-1 then maybe.

I don't see GB beating France but a semi-final is winnable against Australia or Kazakhstan if we did get past France.
  • MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member

Good chance to get to the final although the French tie will be tougher than a Kazakh or Aussie semi final - but I can't see them beating Serbia if Djokovic is playing.
    Forum Member
    Duplicate post.
    Forum Member
    Yes but realistic also. But you never know. A lot of French players collapse under pressure.

Murray on grass should win two singles - and if Inglot and J Murray can take the Bryans to 9-7 in five sets they can beat anyone the French put up.

So we would be favourites - and Ward on grass with a home crowd could cause an upset too.
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    Murray on grass should win two singles - and if Inglot and J Murray can take the Bryans to 9-7 in five sets they can beat anyone the French put up.

So we would be favourites - and Ward on grass with a home crowd could cause an upset too.

Benneteau and Roger Vasselin are a formidable doubles team. They are the 5th ranked team in the world. So I don't think it will be all that easy. Can't stop laughing at that video of Andy dropping Dom right in it with his girlfriend.
    Forum Member
    Benneteau and Roger Vasselin are a formidable doubles team. They are the 5th ranked team in the world. So I don't think it will be all that easy. Can't stop laughing at that video of Andy dropping Dom right in it with his girlfriend.

But the French don't put up that pair and never have - this weekend Benneteau partnered Mahut!

I don't say it will be easy - but on grass I think the Murray Inglot pairing can beat any French pair at home. Not easy - but doable.

Hopefully Murray was joking - or Dom the bomb is in the doghouse. Lucky for him he is off to the USA for a month!:D
  • *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The advantage of picking the surface is brilliant against a limited team like the US, but when it comes to the French, they have so much depth that whatever we choose, they can pick a team accordingly, and have spares if someone's got a sore knee.

It would be great if it could be played on grass, and if we are hoping Andy makes a deep run at Wimbledon, then keeping to the same surface will be good for him.

An outdoors tie on the West Coast could take a week to complete.
  • MonsterMunch99MonsterMunch99 Posts: 2,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd be amazed if it was Wimbledon. It's just too soon after the championships. I guess Queen's would be an option if it was to be on grass, albeit a poor one for the spectators as it's just such a crap place to watch tennis. In all honesty I can see it being an indoor hard court again, and for that it could be basically any decent sized arena.
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Eastbourne would be the usual option as the court will have had a couple of weeks to recover and the stands will be in place ready. Otherwise a temporary arena in a more populous area.
  • tennismantennisman Posts: 4,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wonder how Inglot's girlfriend is feeling right now?
  • Irishguy123Irishguy123 Posts: 14,614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tennisman wrote: »
    Wonder how Inglot's girlfriend is feeling right now?

From The Guardian:
    The 'Glasgow girlfriend' is understood to have been someone attending the match at the Emirates Arena over the past three days who kept trying to get Inglot's attention.

In the light of this, she's probably not feeling that bad :)
  • tennismantennisman Posts: 4,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From The Guardian:

In the light of this, she's probably not feeling that bad :)

I hope so.
    Forum Member
    I'd be amazed if it was Wimbledon. It's just too soon after the championships. I guess Queen's would be an option if it was to be on grass, albeit a poor one for the spectators as it's just such a crap place to watch tennis. In all honesty I can see it being an indoor hard court again, and for that it could be basically any decent sized arena.

I think it will be No 1 court at Wimbledon. The ground staff will just have to get it ready for 5 more matches - and then they can tear it up.

I really don't think anywhere else is suitable (Queens too small and Eastbourne too out of the way) - and sorry but in mid July people don't want to be stuck indoors.

They may of course need a venue too for September if we beat France - a bit late but that could still be outdoors too as they have used Wimbledon in the past.
  • GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Timea Bacsinszky wins her second Tournament-in-a-row, Incredible come-back really after being a victim of all-too-common vile tennis parenting.
  • NorwoodCemeteryNorwoodCemetery Posts: 1,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spot on - despite Greg Rusedski bannging on about SW19 Court 1 being the ideal, there is scant likelihood of Wimbledon being an option mere days after the championships. However there are other grass court options - Queens, Nottingham, Eastbourne - they should stick to that surface if at all possible. I'd be worried about facing Monfils and Tsonga on hard.

Murray has an incredible record agaisnt all current French players, but it isn't Murray's matches that are the concern of course!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Spot on - despite Greg Rusedski bannging on about SW19 Court 1 being the ideal, there is scant likelihood of Wimbledon being an option mere days after the championships. However there are other grass court options - Queens, Nottingham, Eastbourne - they should stick to that surface if at all possible. I'd be worried about facing Monfils and Tsonga on hard.

Murray has an incredible record agaisnt all current French players, but it isn't Murray's matches that are the concern of course!

Too small.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,575
    Forum Member
    Davis Cup Quarter Finals :

Great Britain home to France
    Australia home to Kazakhstan
    Argentina home to Serbia
    Belgium home to Canada

Getting far ahead of myself ( but why not ! ) GB could have a run to the title beating the USA, France, Australia and Argentina all at home since any ties vs Australia or Argentina would definitely be at home.

It is rather difficult to think of a more satisfying run of conquests.
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Too small.

Eastbourne has 8000 capacity, bigger than last week's venue in Glasgow (7100) and bigger than the old Court 1 at Wimbledon (7328) where GB used to play big Davis Cup ties.
  • MonsterMunch99MonsterMunch99 Posts: 2,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    I think it will be No 1 court at Wimbledon. The ground staff will just have to get it ready for 5 more matches - and then they can tear it up.

I really don't think anywhere else is suitable (Queens too small and Eastbourne too out of the way) - and sorry but in mid July people don't want to be stuck indoors.

They may of course need a venue too for September if we beat France - a bit late but that could still be outdoors too as they have used Wimbledon in the past.

Nah, there's no way, as fantastic as it would be. The AELTC had a massive job getting the courts ready for the olympics with more time to plan and more time to execute. 5 days is just not enough time to get a grass court ready from scratch. The only way to do it would be if #1 court was not used during the championships, and that's just not going to happen.

Queens/Eastbourne I guess if Britain want grass, but both have downsides in that Queens is awful for the fans and Eastbourne is not exactly easy to get to for most people.

I don't really think being indoors is an issue regardless of the time of year, and actually I think a slower hard court suits our players more than grass anyway.
  • NorwoodCemeteryNorwoodCemetery Posts: 1,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    [Queen's club is]Too small.
    Queen's club centre court holds 7000. The Glasgow venue where GB just played holds 7,700. Hardly a colossal difference; and as pointed out above, Eastbourne is of a similar capacity. There is no chance of Wimbledon being used - the LTA have already ruled out Wimbledon according to Sporting Life:

http://www.sportinglife.com/tennis/news/article/553/9750867/davis-cup-great-britain-v-france-quarter-final-will-not-take-place-at-wimbledon-in-july

Besides, if GB are to play on their best surface against France, it has to be grass and some compromises need to be made. Agreed with John Lloyd yesterday when he said progress to the semis is the priority even if location affects capacity available.

Hard courts in my opinion are too much of a risk against France. Expecting Ward to beat any of Monfils/Gasquet/Simon/Tsonga is, I think, a stretch too far. And France have very good doubles players.

It's a dilemma, no doubt.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Queen's club centre court holds 7000. The Glasgow venue where GB just played holds 7,700. Hardly a colossal difference; and as pointed out above, Eastbourne is of a similar capacity. There is no chance of Wimbledon being used - the LTA have already ruled out Wimbledon according to Sporting Life:

http://www.sportinglife.com/tennis/news/article/553/9750867/davis-cup-great-britain-v-france-quarter-final-will-not-take-place-at-wimbledon-in-july

Besides, if GB are to play on their best surface against France, it has to be grass and some compromises need to be made. Agreed with John Lloyd yesterday when he said progress to the semis is the priority even if location affects capacity available.

Hard courts in my opinion are too much of a risk against France. Expecting Ward to beat any of Monfils/Gasquet/Simon/Tsonga is, I think, a stretch too far. And France have very good doubles players.

It's a dilemma, no doubt.

As I posted on here yesterday, the DC organisers stated yesterday that the Glasgow venue was too small to hold the event as demand was so high they could have sold double or even more tickets than the venue could hold. So Sue said they will be looking for a much bigger venue for the next tie.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 150
    Forum Member
    I'm not sure if it's been said on here yet but Laura got a wildcard into Miami qualifying
  • GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Emma_B3 wrote: »
    I'm not sure if it's been said on here yet but Laura got a wildcard into Miami qualifying

Yes, it's good news, but I still am not getting too excited until I see her complete a match. Del Potro has pulled out of IW, both with persistent wrist injuries.

Does seem IW and Miami younger WC's on the female side are mostly rather attractive, sure it's just an odd coincidence.....
This discussion has been closed.