AND MOTHER MAKES THREE/FIVE;70S comedy?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,584
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Looking at the standard of comedy on British TV as I grew up. As with popular music of the time, I was stuck with the stuff put out while I was a captive audience, [meaning, I wasn't in a position to judge the 60s] the TV that was on the screens I watched, wasn't as bad as it apparently was in other European countries or further afield, but this doesn't mean it was as good as the potential allowed for at the time. I watched only ITV [as our old set allowed]from the point where I saw TV for the first time at all, [1967]until about 1971. aged 16. So, Z cars, Softly, Softly,etc went by unnoticed. Briotish TV is still a good diet, but, in the 70s, could have been a lot better.

Comments

• timestalkertimestalker Posts: 374
    Forum Member
    I've got loads of 70's tv on dvd and I love most of the comedy shows but AMM3 was hard going compared to MATH , G&M , LTN and others so I thought I'd give it a break until the complete boxset is out.
  • sculptorsculptor Posts: 253
    Forum Member
    MATH = Man about the house
    G&M = George and Mildred
    LTN = ?

There's not much point in using abbreviations unless they've already been explained.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sculptor wrote: »
    G&M = George and Mildred
    LTN = ?

There's not much point in using abbreviations unless they've already been explained.

LTN; Love Thy Neighbour? I know this abject series wasn't already mentioned, but it was quoted elsewhere. The Cuckoo Waltz was another lowlife exhibit along with Robin's nest. I mean, please?.
  • ajaaja Posts: 1,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looking at the standard of comedy on British TV as I grew up. As with popular music of the time, I was stuck with the stuff put out while I was a captive audience, [meaning, I wasn't in a position to judge the 60s] the TV that was on the screens I watched, wasn't as bad as it apparently was in other European countries or further afield, but this doesn't mean it was as good as the potential allowed for at the time. I watched only ITV [as our old set allowed]from the point where I saw TV for the first time at all, [1967]until about 1971. aged 16. So, Z cars, Softly, Softly,etc went by unnoticed. Briotish TV is still a good diet, but, in the 70s, could have been a lot better.

Surely your topic thread is misleading as you don't mention the subject once?:confused:

For the record, I thought AMM3/5 was ok although far-fetched sometimes eg the episode where Mother (played by Wendy Craig) agrees to do a striptease for a car mechanic (played by the late Sam Kydd, if I remember correctly) in return for some car repairs needed at short notice so hubby doesn't find out.

Another good comedy of the time was "Alexander The Greatest" staring Gary Warren (later of "The Railway Children") and Sydney Tafler. Plus the theme was one of the catchiest ever, sung by Barry Green (who later changed his name to Barry Blue!).
  • anotherlongersanotherlongers Posts: 1,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    aja wrote: »
    Surely your topic thread is misleading as you don't mention the subject once?:confused:

For the record, I thought AMM3/5 was ok although far-fetched sometimes eg the episode where Mother (played by Wendy Craig) agrees to do a striptease for a car mechanic (played by the late Sam Kydd, if I remember correctly) in return for some car repairs needed at short notice so hubby doesn't find out.
    Another good comedy of the time was "Alexander The Greatest" staring Gary Warren (later of "The Railway Children") and Sydney Tafler. Plus the theme was one of the catchiest ever, sung by Barry Green (who later changed his name to Barry Blue!).

Wrong series. The striptease in question was performed by Nyree Dawn Porter in a series whose title completely escapes me. Would like to see it again if anybody knows what it was called or if it's still available (unlikely).
  • NickLangleyNickLangley Posts: 561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wendy Craig got her career breakthrough playing scatty, middleclass wifes in the late 60s BBC sit-com "Not in Front of the Children".
  • timestalkertimestalker Posts: 374
    Forum Member
    sculptor wrote: »
    G&M = George and Mildred
    LTN = ?

Anyone into 70's ITV comedy should know the abbreviations.
    You knew 2