Changing WEP to WPA

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20
Forum Member
I am using a BT home hub and want to change from WEP to WPA. How do I do this and do I have to change settings on all pc's using the network and the PS3?
Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 467
    Forum Member
    First off access your HomeHub's config page via your web browser of choice. enter 192.168.1.254 in the address bar, hit return.

Then on the left hand side, click on advanced. You'll be prompted for your username and password (mine was admin & admin by default). Once into the advanced pages, on the left hand side you should see an option for wireless security, or something along those lines. Select that and you'll be greeted with your current wireless security settings. You want to change to WPA-PSK (pre shared key) and below that you can enter the key of your choice. Out of habit i tend to have a key around 8 characters long, including uppercase, lowercase, and numbers. Once done, apply those settings.

Now, to sort out the PC and PS3 side of things, you essentially need to connect to the network again, just like you did when you first got your home hub so that you can provide the new WPA key. You'll be prompted for the network key just like before. Enter the key and job done.

Hope this helps. Apologies if the descriptions of the home hub menu's aren't too accurate as I'm doing this from memory what with being in the office at the mo.
  • blueacidblueacid Posts: 2,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SuzieV wrote: »
    I am using a BT home hub and want to change from WEP to WPA. How do I do this and do I have to change settings on all pc's using the network and the PS3?
    Any help would be appreciated.

You will need to go to the router's configuration page, from one of the computers on your home network.
    Open a web browser, and go to http://192.168.1.254/

Log in with username: Administrator and password: password (unless you've already changed your password!)

On the left, click Home Network, then in the middle click on the:

WLAN:networkname
    (54mbps)

[NB: networkname is what your wireless network is called, might be BTHomehub something)

Then, having clicked on that, click the "Configure" button at the top right, and you should be able to then change the settings. Change the encryption to WPA-PSK, use WPA+WPA2, and use an encryption key (ie, the password) which is fairly long, and which uses a C0mb1nAt10n of both letters and numbers.

Anything which connects using wireless will need to be reconfigured, and have the new password put in.
  • blueacidblueacid Posts: 2,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah no! Beaten!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    Thank you both for your help. I will obviously have to change the network key on all other pc's and PS3 won't I?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 467
    Forum Member
    SuzieV wrote: »
    Thank you both for your help. I will obviously have to change the network key on all other pc's and PS3 won't I?

Thats right. Think of it like connecting to a new wireless network.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 81
    Forum Member
    I found this site very helpful when I had a BT Homehub. You can download an audio file that takes you through step by step every aspect of the router.

http://www.frequencycast.co.uk/guide.html