Cricket on Five - Winter 2010-11?

albertdalbertd Posts: 14,355
Forum Member
✭✭
Does anyone know if Channel Five will be doing their evening summary programmes for the coming Australian series of tests and other matches?

Comments

• sudsy23sudsy23 Posts: 179
    Forum Member
    No, last time I checked, I don't think they are. Would be a real shame as it has all the makings of a cracking series.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,605
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So far - no contract signed for showing Ashes highlights on FTA terrestial. A real pity as this has the makings at least of a cracking series. Here's hoping for a last minute deal.
  • albertdalbertd Posts: 14,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks folks. Just have to keep our fingers crossed.
  • RichardReesRichardRees Posts: 2,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Per reports, neither the BBC or Five were interested, so the highlights rights were bought by Perform.

They will show them online, including on newspaper sites:

http://www.performgroup.co.uk/news_articles/view/121
    The streaming of 2010-11 Vodafone Ashes Series highlights, which will be available on every national newspaper website in the UK, is part of a broader deal in which PERFORM will host and manage CATV – the official broadband TV service of Cricket Australia that also includes highlights from Tests, One-Day Internationals, Twenty20 and Interstate matches.
  • albertdalbertd Posts: 14,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Having looked at the Perform web site, I cannot fathom out what will be available to us, the general public, and what might be hidden away from us.

Presumably Sky have got the rights to the full coverage, but I have not, and do not want, Sky. Nor do I want the full coverage anyway, an hour's highlights per day (as per Cricket of Five) is quite enough.
  • Nick GNick G Posts: 1,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Premably this will be our only chance to get the Channel 9 commentary which I would like to hear if Australia carry on losing!
  • Gurj73Gurj73 Posts: 964
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nick G wrote: »
    Premably this will be our only chance to get the Channel 9 commentary which I would like to hear if Australia carry on losing!

It would be great if Sky Sports gave us the option of choosing which commentary we would prefer.

I do like listening to the old guard of Richie Benaud, Bill Lawry ,I Tony Grieg and Ian Chappel, as well as the newer lot of Michael Taylor, Michael Slater, Warney etc etc
  • RadiomikeRadiomike Posts: 7,943
    Forum Member
    It does appear that Sky Sports will be providing two different length highlights packages for this series with a 2 hour show each night between 8 and 10pm on Sky Sports 1 and a 1 hour package at 10am and 5pm on Sky Sports 1 and 2pm on Sky Sports 2. Those times will likely vary according to other programming but at least apply for the first 2 days of the First Test !
  • Sven945Sven945 Posts: 4,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gurj73 wrote: »
    It would be great if Sky Sports gave us the option of choosing which commentary we would prefer.

A TMS option would be nice! But unlikely, so I'm going to have to put up with my DAB radio that can pause to sync it up. At least that'll mean a headphone output nearer to my head so I don't wake up the housemates...
  • chrisfinchchrisfinch Posts: 5,728
    Forum Member
    Radiomike wrote: »
    It does appear that Sky Sports will be providing two different length highlights packages for this series with a 2 hour show each night between 8 and 10pm on Sky Sports 1 and a 1 hour package at 10am and 5pm on Sky Sports 1 and 2pm on Sky Sports 2. Those times will likely vary according to other programming but at least apply for the first 2 days of the First Test !

Thats useful thanks. Sometimes the 2 hour highlights can be a drag to sit through, especially when you already know the score. I presume the earlier highlights will just be the action, and the later one with Charlie, Willis and the verdict.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The head of BBC Sport confirmed to me on email a few days ago that they had looked at ways of carrying the highlights on the TV, but they weren't offered a scheduling slow that would work for them on their channels.

Big shame though, I thoroughly enjoyed it the last time, I remember bang on 10pm pressing Red and watching the highlights with Manish, Aggers and co.
  • Gurj73Gurj73 Posts: 964
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The head of BBC Sport confirmed to me on email a few days ago that they had looked at ways of carrying the highlights on the TV, but they weren't offered a scheduling slow that would work for them on their channels.

Big shame though, I thoroughly enjoyed it the last time, I remember bang on 10pm pressing Red and watching the highlights with Manish, Aggers and co.

I think the problem is as part of Skys contract with CA no other TV Station can show highlights until sky have shown their prime time show ( 8 to 10pm shpw ) and basically with a show coming out at 10pm its practically near the start of the 2nd hours play, give an hour or two, and so the terrestrial channels dont deem it worthwhile !
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gurj73 wrote: »
    I think the problem is as part of Skys contract with CA no other TV Station can show highlights until sky have shown their prime time show ( 8 to 10pm shpw ) and basically with a show coming out at 10pm its practically near the start of the 2nd hours play, give an hour or two, and so the terrestrial channels dont deem it worthwhile !

The BBC were happy to do it last time (2006/07?), and from what I remember the figures were quite good, despite it being hidden away on the red button at 10pm then on BBC2 at 11:20 after Newsnight.

Wonder if they'll secure a last minute deal..?