Options

Mother leaving her baby in hot car whilst shopping

Comments

• Options
    LifeisGoodLifeisGood Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Croctacus wrote: »
    I wonder if all the people that would never leave their child unattended, anywhere, no matter what, take their kids for a crap with them.

Hahaha :D
  • Options
    TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member
    I wonder if all the people that would never leave their child unattended, anywhere, no matter what, take their kids for a crap with them.

I used too, I also used to take the baby seat out at the petrol station as well. Now the little blighters just follow me for my "crap" as you put it, I don't get to pee in peace or bath in peace ever
  • Options
    DaisyBillDaisyBill Posts: 4,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    VM123 wrote: »
    Hmm surely it doesn't matter how long she went in for? Even if you forget the heat, she still left the baby alone. It may be just me, but I didn't think that was a normal thing to do?

Well it used to be completely normal, except that the baby would be left in the pram outside the shop, rather than a car. This was common practice in the 60's and 70's.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,274
    Forum Member
    I hate to be that person but i can't help think if she was a man it wouldn't of been the same outcome
  • Options
    LuckyyemLuckyyem Posts: 598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

To be fair its slightly different to go to the toilet than it is to leave your child, alone outside a supermarket. IMO I can see why people leave kids outside a local shop or pop in to pay for petrol. Personally I have never left my children alone in the car, if I go for petrol I pay at pump, I am too much of a worry wart. I have left them in another room. As a parent its up to you to take a calculated risk, for me leaving a baby where you cannot see or hear them is not something I would do.

Personally I cannot wait to be able to take a crap without an audience :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    dee123 wrote: »
    I hate to be that person but i can't help think if she was a man it wouldn't of been the same outcome

why she was cautioned which is about as much as the police can do and I imagine Social services or Health visitors will probably be round for a visit in light of it receiving national news coverage
  • Options
    LilaethLilaeth Posts: 750
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I myself was left outside shops all the time as a baby. And parked in my pram outside the kitchen or living room window for hours on end. It's how things were in the 60s. I have heard that the Fail has rather misrepresented the situation anyway. No surprise there, it's just another part of their ongoing war on women. Maybe they should get back to chasing down benefit scroungers or more of its usual targets.
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She was gone long enough for passer by (s) to notice, someone to go in and report it, an announcement to be made and the Police to be called and be on the scene. So we can safely say it wasn't a quick shop to buy a tub of formula :o

I would also assume that the initial passer by (s) would have given it a bit of time to see if mother came back before going into the store etc..
  • Options
    BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,553
    Forum Member
    cris182 wrote: »
    Tills can break, Queues can be long, Card may not be accepted first time...All these things could happen. So 5 minutes in the shop is never as simple as that

This^^

I now see there is an excuse further down the link of 'Forgotten Baby Syndrome' :o WTF >:(

[Meanwhile an Australian woman was cleared yesterday of her daughter’s manslaughter after she was locked in a car on a 30C day.

Jayde Poole, 29, from Victoria was found not guilty of five-month-old Bella Poole’s death when it was revealed during her trial that she was suffering from ‘forgotten baby syndrome’.
    Her daughter died of heatstroke when she was left in the car after the family visited a takeaway shop on December 11, 2012]
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    My understanding is that the reason babies shouldn't be left in cars unattended is because their car seats often have shoulder harnesses that keep the baby in a reclined position. As babies have a tendency to vomit from time to time, one would need to be in a position to see that and release the harness ASAP so that they can clear their mouth and prevent choking.
    That'a not such an issue in a pram or cot.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I had done, yes.

With my first baby, in the hospital I used to wheel his little fish tank thing to the bathroom while I took a shower.

Though, there is a huge difference between making sure your baby is safe and nipping to the loo and leaving it unattended in a hot car in a public place.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    BellaRosa wrote: »
    This^^

I now see there is an excuse further down the link of 'Forgotten Baby Syndrome' :o WTF >:(

[Meanwhile an Australian woman was cleared yesterday of her daughter’s manslaughter after she was locked in a car on a 30C day.

Jayde Poole, 29, from Victoria was found not guilty of five-month-old Bella Poole’s death when it was revealed during her trial that she was suffering from ‘forgotten baby syndrome’.
    Her daughter died of heatstroke when she was left in the car after the family visited a takeaway shop on December 11, 2012]

Indeed WTF never heard of that
  • Options
    LilaethLilaeth Posts: 750
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    My understanding is that the reason babies shouldn't be left in cars unattended is because their car seats often have shoulder harnesses that keep the baby in a reclined position. As babies have a tendency to vomit from time to time, one would need to be in a position to see that and release the harness ASAP so that they can clear their mouth and prevent choking.

In a pram or a cot, a baby would be lying prone - how is that less of an issue?
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    Lilaeth wrote: »
    In a pram or a cot, a baby would be lying prone - how is that less of an issue?

Surely they're not belted down in that position though?
  • Options
    PrincessTTPrincessTT Posts: 4,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely they're not belted down in that position though?

But for a young baby who can't yet roll over the issue would still be the same, and if the baby is swaddled then their movement would also be restricted.
  • Options
    Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lilaeth wrote: »
    I myself was left outside shops all the time as a baby. And parked in my pram outside the kitchen or living room window for hours on end. It's how things were in the 60s. .

I was left all over the place as a kid, in fact my parents left us in forests and went off walking for hours leaving my 10 year old sister in charge of two much younger than her.
    Leaving a kid in a pram was the norm then, not many women had cars in the 60s so leaving them in car would not happen much I should imagine.

I left my eldest kid out in her pram asleep in her carrycot/pushchair thing at the side of my house loads, l left her in the baby car seat on my drive if asleep as well.
    If I wanted to pop in the local shops I would leave her in the car, but she would be in my vision and it would be a very quick in and out of the shop.

By the time the next ones came along doing stuff like that was a no go, so I did not do it anymore.
    I wanted to at times, but feared the judgement I would then come under.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LifeisGood wrote: »
    I'm presuming you are not just referring to babies, when you mention "young members" of your family. If that is the case do they not play out with their friends?

I was talking about out of my area.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    And if you didn't have a member of family with you and the car wasn't in line of sight, would you unpack all your young children to take them in to pay for fuel. What if you had 2-3 children under 5?

Not having a pop by the way, but I do think there is a degree of hysteria about leaving a sleeping baby in a car for a few minutes while you pop to a cash point, or pop in to buy some formula or any other quick purchase.

Out of my area, yes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The young members of my family never get left alone when they are out of my area.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cris182 wrote: »
    Tills can break, Queues can be long, Card may not be accepted first time...All these things could happen. So 5 minutes in the shop is never as simple as that

Yep. Five minutes can suddenly end up being about twenty minutes.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    I can see the thread now!

'Just seen a mother spend ten minutes setting up her space ship, disturbing her baby and taking up a whole aisle in the supermarket for the sake of on tin of baby formula...BLOODY PARENTS SHOULD PAY FOR THEIR OWN CHILDREN AND NOT EXPECT TAX PAYER HANDOUTS'

I know the bit in caps has nothing to do with it but isn't it DS rules that when talking about parents and children, child benefit must be alluded to?!? :D

Exactly! Haha. What is a mother supposed to do when her baby starts crying in the middle of a supermarket? She can't magically make the baby instantly stop crying. This woman was middle class apperently though, so they may have judged her differently if she looked like she shops in M&S too. ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Say what now? What on earth would there be to complain about? Other than them bringing their carrier bags or leave big gaps in the queue...

You can't have been here long if you haven't read the countless amount of posts moaning about mothers taking their children to the supermarket with them. I barely ever post but I have read these forums for quite a few years and I can't believe some of the stuff I've seen be said at times.

If you click on the Trivial things that annoy you intensely thread, I'm certain there is some of the shopping mother hatred a few pages in.
  • Options
    LakieLadyLakieLady Posts: 19,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Odd Socks wrote: »
    It's just instinctive to watch your baby all the time, to worry and to need to know that they're ok.

I wonder if things have changed much over the years? I was born in the 50's, and it was quite normal all through the 50s and 60s to leave the baby out in in the garden in the pram for a couple of hours to get fresh air, and to leave them outside shops etc. Prams were huge back then and you probably couldn't get them through the doors of most shops.

Baby monitors hadn't been invented, so if the baby was asleep in its cot, the mother (and it was almost invariably mother, not father!) just got on with stuff. They didn't maintain a constant vigil, just in case.

Even then, though, the temperatures reached inside cars on hot days were known about, though.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member

babies shouldn`t be left unattended anywhere.

the car could catch fire, get stolen, get hit by another, the baby could choke, have a fit, overheat...........
  • Options
    PrincessTTPrincessTT Posts: 4,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    babies shouldn`t be left unattended anywhere.

the car could catch fire, get stolen, get hit by another, the baby could choke, have a fit, overheat...........

If I had never left my babies unattended then I would never have got anything done... As long as baby is as safe as possible in a cot or a pram or on under the baby gym, then leaving them unattended while you get on with stuff is no different to leaving them unattended while they sleep at night.