Rumour: ITV to sign Clarkson, May and Hammond £10 million deal

Comments

• tony le mesmertony le mesmer Posts: 876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ash_M1 wrote: »
    Then I think you fail to underestimate the values of the great British public. Like the other apologists on here, you are attempting to play down and distract from the facts here. We are talking about someone who assaulted a junior both verbally and more seriously physically too...unacceptable behavior by most peoples' standards.

I think you over-estimate it. Most rational people would consider what he did unacceptable behaviour, however I don't think most people would object to him hosting another TV show.

Cheryl Cole was charged with assault years a go, but now draws millions of viewers and has numerous advertising contracts. There are countless other examples of movie, TV stars, sports personalities and musicians in similar situations.
  • Ash_M1Ash_M1 Posts: 18,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think you over-estimate it. Most rational people would consider what he did unacceptable behaviour, however I don't think most people would object to him hosting another TV show.

Cheryl Cole was charged with assault years a go, but now draws millions of viewers and has numerous advertising contracts. There are countless other examples of movie, TV stars, sports personalities and musicians in similar situations.

I would need to check the Cheryl Cole story.

Re: Clarkson, I believe you to be wrong. We have a very clear sense of right and wrong in this country. I wouldn't expect to see Clarkson on television any time soon.

I can also think of two tv presenters who used to work for ITV who haven't worked since...both for very different reasons...but both for very serious reasons too. I am not (for obvious reasons) going to get into a names game on a public forum.
  • tony le mesmertony le mesmer Posts: 876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/3207822.stm
  • popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member

Cheryl Tweedy (Before she got married) was convicted of assault in 2003
  • Ash_M1Ash_M1 Posts: 18,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    popeye13 wrote: »
    Cheryl Tweedy (Before she got married) was convicted of assault in 2003

The way you were talking, I thought it was last week.
  • popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member

Ive not posted on this thread for a while, so not me!
  • Zeropoint1Zeropoint1 Posts: 10,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do like how Sky said they don't want to be associated with Jeremy Clarkson as they are a family broadcaster and don't feel he fits their image. Yet they are proud to be the exclusive home to Game of Thrones, and the advertisements mention it constantly. How does that fit with a family broadcaster?

Though I know if they were interested (and no doubt are) they will all be playing with poker faces and playing it down, after all who wouldn't.
  • Sweaty Job RotSweaty Job Rot Posts: 2,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Hammond can frig right off to the sewer he crawled from, hate that git with a passion.
  • samuel79samuel79 Posts: 128
    Forum Member
    It is far too early for them to be doing anything. Plus a new show would have to be substantially different to Top Gear to avoid lawyers becoming involved.

EM.Its a motoring show other than the name if is similar the bbc might take it the wrong maybe

but there have been motoring shows for years if so they did due to the "ond/new" format would be laughed out of court as people siting around a table discussing stuff is absurd

Have you watched day/morning time tv ? it seems not

as for format they could easily take the stig concept to anther tv channel as idea for the character was part of host Jeremy Clarkson's and producer Andy Wilman's concept for making the new top gear , they wanted to call him 'The Gimp' bbc said no

A gimp setting fastest laps in a car might get a new role in there new show who knows

It is far too early for them to be doing anything. Plus a new show would have to be substantially different to Top Gear to avoid lawyers becoming involved.

they have a tour to complete first but 4 month form now is more than likely to be back on tv with there new show
  • Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,404
    Forum Member
    [QUOTE
    they have a tour to complete first but 4 month form now is more than likely to be back on tv with there new show[/QUOTE]

Interesting that the BBC have "done a deal" which means the tour carries on, but no mention of Top Gear or BBC or anything Top Gear related.

This and the fact that Andy Wilman is staying with Top Gear, indicates to me the BBC will play hardball.

Looks to me that if Hammond and May go, then they will go for some big names to replace them. Coogan, Kidd, Carr, Bishop.
    Probably easy to find some standups who are mates anyway

Two and a Half Men is a good parallel.
    Charlie Sheen abuses the Producer - fired - and Ashton Kutcher brought in
    The young actor playing the "son" gets religion and slags off the show - fired - and they introduce a long lost daughter of the Charlie Sheen character - who is a lesbian.

Nor sure what happened to the ratings during the last seasons, but shows that some Producers who don't take any **** from the cast.
  • i4ui4u Posts: 54,933
    Forum Member
    phil solo wrote: »
    Logic fail - O2 might have bolted but other companies continued to sponsor Big Brother subsequently.
    There will be plenty of companies willing and happy to advertise around any new show featuring Clarkson - the restaurant chain Gaucho might be one - "When you're in need of a steak dinner, visit us instead" :D

The programme went though subsequent sponsors like a dose of salts, which suggests the money raised from sponsorship dropped significantly as companies sought brand recognition rather than being proudly associated with the programme.

Major advertisers pulled out of Big Brother and adopted a 'wait and see' approach.

There may be advertisers willing to feel the gap left by others but at a far lower price.
    Forum Member
    Hasn't the article been shown to be wrong as the executive producer has sated he is not quitting?
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    samuel79 wrote: »
    they have a tour to complete first but 4 month form now is more than likely to be back on tv with there new show

And both Hammond and May are now out of contract.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steve9214 wrote: »
    Interesting that the BBC have "done a deal" which means the tour carries on, but no mention of Top Gear or BBC or anything Top Gear related.
    They had little choice other than to cancel the whole lot and have to compensate ticket holders and lose future ticket sales.
    This and the fact that Andy Wilman is staying with Top Gear, indicates to me the BBC will play hardball.
    Note that Wilman said that the email was not his resignation letter, and that if he was going to resign he would do so privately. In other words, he is staying with the BBC for now. But for the future ....... ?
    Forum Member
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    And both Hammond and May are now out of contract.

Correction: They are out of a job. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i4u wrote: »
    Correction: They are out of a job. :)

Of their own volition.

Leaving them free agents (if they have rejected any new BBC contract)
  • henderohendero Posts: 11,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Then I think you fail to underestimate the values of the great British public. Like the other apologists on here, you are attempting to play down and distract from the facts here. We are talking about someone who assaulted a junior both verbally and more seriously physically too...unacceptable behavior by most peoples' standards.

Apologist for Clarkson? I think other forum members could confirm I'm anything but. I stated numerous times that if the reports of what happened at the hotel were true that he should be sacked by the BBC, and I have also taken issue with some of his comments in the past.

However, they doesn't change my view that I would be very surprised if Clarkson isn't back on our screens within the next year or two, that there will be great interest in whatever programme he's on, and if it's on a channel that runs ads, that the programme will have no problem finding companies wishing to advertise during it.
  • Mickey_TMickey_T Posts: 4,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    Sky said yesterday they would not employ Clarkson

And nor should they.

After the Keys & Gray episode, it would be mass hypocrisy for them to employ Clarkson.
  • CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Point is, she came back from it fairly quickly. Clarkson was wrong to punch the producer and has now been punished. In a year or two, this will be forgotten about. I expect him to get back on TV in the next year or two.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Note that Wilman said that the email was not his resignation letter, and that if he was going to resign he would do so privately. In other words, he is staying with the BBC for now. But for the future ....... ?

I suppose it is possible that he has some sort of loyalty to the programme and would like to be involved in relaunching in a new form, without Clarkson. People have been saying for a few years that it has got repetitive and stale, perhaps he thinks he can do better.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    I suppose it is possible that he has some sort of loyalty to the programme and would like to be involved in relaunching in a new form, without Clarkson. People have been saying for a few years that it has got repetitive and stale, perhaps he thinks he can do better.
    For this last series (S22) of Top Gear, the Top Gear team were sending out a survey each week asking those who had signed up to rate the episode, and the various pieces in the episode, and the survey gave you ample opportunity to give your own thoughts as well.

So they were certainly looking to fine-tune the programme and to see how certain aspects were received.

And in truth, this was one the better-received series in a long time judging by the comments on DS.
    Forum Member
    ....And in truth, this was one the better-received series in a long time judging by the comments on DS.

Next you'll be claiming trending on Twitter is a measure of success. :)
    Forum Member
    hendero wrote: »
    ....However, they doesn't change my view that I would be very surprised if Clarkson isn't back on our screens within the next year or two, that there will be great interest in whatever programme he's on, and if it's on a channel that runs ads, that the programme will have no problem finding companies wishing to advertise during it.

Various channels don't have a problem finding advertises but they tend to be charities and lawyers buying the space...which indicates the advertising is almost being given away. :)

5-6 million viewers are unlikely to follow Clarkson to whatever outlet he appears on and the same programme on one channel can have markedly different ratings.

Roughly speaking...
    On ITV a fall off of 1-2million
    On C4 a fall off of 2-3 million
    On C5 a fall off of 4-5 million
    On ITV2/4 it may attract 1 million viewers, but if the programme has the same programme values & content then it will run at a loss?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Next you'll be claiming trending on Twitter is a measure of success. :)

Nope, I would never do that - I fully accept that DS is not representative (I didn't mean to imply that it was), but I was just remarking on the basis of previous series that have been all but roundly condemned on here.
  • JordyDJordyD Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Various channels don't have a problem finding advertises but they tend to be charities and lawyers buying the space...which indicates the advertising is almost being given away. :)

5-6 million viewers are unlikely to follow Clarkson to whatever outlet he appears on and the same programme on one channel can have markedly different ratings.

Roughly speaking...
    On ITV a fall off of 1-2million
    On C4 a fall off of 2-3 million
    On C5 a fall off of 4-5 million
    On ITV2/4 it may attract 1 million viewers, but if the programme has the same programme values & content then it will run at a loss?

I don't like Top Gear, but I could certainly expect more than 1m viewers for a channel like ITV2, especially launch series.

I could see it more at home at C5.