Options

Why have they recast Spider Man?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,108
Forum Member
✭✭
Does anyone know why? and is Kirsten Dunst still playing MJ?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    eduble wrote: »
    Does anyone know why? and is Kirsten Dunst still playing MJ?

No, It's a completely new cast, the film is a reboot and ignores the other 3 Spider-Man films, i'd imagine that they wanted to distance themselves from the other 3 as much as possible, so bringing Tobey Maguire back wouldn't have worked (plus, i don't think he wanted to do another one anyway).

And as far as i'm aware, MJ isn't in the new one, the love interest will be Gwen Stacey played by Emma Stone.

I'm actually glad that they're rebooting it, i didn't like the Sam Raimi ones (SM2 was good, but the other two were crap).
  • Options
    UltraVioletUltraViolet Posts: 7,673
    Forum Member
    I'm looking forwards to it, I'm with CJClarke, didn't like Raimi's at all. Like the new cast so far for the reboot, and director.
  • Options
    Mark AMark A Posts: 7,692
    Forum Member
    I liked the previous ones, but if they put as much effort into the new ones as they did the previus ones then I expect I'll like them too. You don't have to dislike one to like the other.

Regards

Mark
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,815
    Forum Member
    I liked the first Raimi one, the other two not so much. The second half of SM2 was good though, but the first half was tedious.

I wonder if they'll do a Nolan's Batman take on it and have it gritty (ish) and realistic (as far as superheroes go anyway). Not sure that would work with Spider-Man though.
  • Options
    grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    I thiink its too soon for a reboot TBH :confused: All 3 were at least decent comic book/action films and I loved the first 2
  • Options
    Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Raimi's films are spot on , they capture the mood and feel of the comics more than any other comic-book movie
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark A wrote: »
    I liked the previous ones, but if they put as much effort into the new ones as they did the previus ones then I expect I'll like them too. You don't have to dislike one to like the other.

Regards

Mark

That sounds like a mature and sensible opinion ... why are you on DSpy Lol!!

I agree 100% Enjoyed the first 3 and expect I'll enjoy the next ones if they put as much into them.
  • Options
    rosco2010rosco2010 Posts: 7,501
    Forum Member
    As far as I can tell from this reboot, it appears to be more of a remake of the first Spider-man, seeing Peter Parker back in high school. Surely they'll have to reference MJ and Harry, since they're all in the same school.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why are they remaking them so soon?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,472
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seems pointless,the trilogy isnt even 10 years old and there remaking it,so now we get to see peter in high school all over again,theres only so many ways u can do it,they should have just given raimi the xtra time for the 4th but i guess sony wants money NOW.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    I thiink its too soon for a reboot TBH :confused: All 3 were at least decent comic book/action films and I loved the first 2

Agree with this and the others, too soon to reboot it, why not leave it for 15 years or so and make something different..they must be seriously low on new ideas.
  • Options
    Rincewind78Rincewind78 Posts: 2,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am a little suprised they have chosen to go down the route of remaking as well. SM3 wasnt as good as the previous 2 - but hoping this isnt the reason why they are redoing it all from scratch.

the first one was so good. not many comic book big screen outsings have worked well - but Spiderman seemed to work so well on so many levels.

no 2 is very good as well. but no 3 wasnt as good and i believe was critisied by many - and perhaps didnt make as much money as they wanted??!!! either way - not sure why they need to restart it all. a 4th money in that canon would have been good.

happy Christmas to all of DS !!!
  • Options
    ASIFZEDASIFZED Posts: 1,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd always thought the Raimi films (perhaps minus the third...) were held in high regard. Interested to know why these are disliked, or at least how they failed to meet expectations. What is the directorial style, was it too earnest, casting wrong, FX not mature enough, action, music score etc?

As far as a comic to film conversion and realising a man on screen swinging around, I thought the movies were more than serviceable. Additionally, how do you think the FX this time around will be done? Not sure if this is another 3D job. Less 'rubbery' and more realistic...however that might be.

Merry Xmas by the way!
  • Options
    MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    It's not a remake like some posters have said in this thread.They are rebooting the franchise so it's a totally different cast and director.Yes it is set when Peter Parker is in school but the story will be nothing like the first Ramni Spiderman film!
  • Options
    -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    Motthus wrote: »
    It's not a remake like some posters have said in this thread.They are rebooting the franchise so it's a totally different cast and director.Yes it is set when Peter Parker is in school but the story will be nothing like the first Ramni Spiderman film!

So what's the difference between what you've just described and a remake?:confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    -GONZO- wrote: »
    So what's the difference between what you've just described and a remake?:confused:

A "remake" implies that it's going to be almost exactly the same as the original film, whereas a "reboot" means that they are ignoring the original films and starting completely from scratch with their own story. Obviously some things will be the same (Peter being at school presumably, Peter getting infected), but it will most likely be a new bad guy and a new story, whereas a "remake" would just rehash the same story that we saw in Spiderman 1.
  • Options
    frostfrost Posts: 4,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    eduble wrote: »
    Why are they remaking them so soon?

Because they have decided that three films in a small period of time is enough to warrant a reboot. Seems pointless to me, but what do I know.
  • Options
    misterelimistereli Posts: 822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoyed Raimi's trilogy (well, the first 2, although the 3rd was alright as well.)

But I am looking forward to the new version. Would have liked a 4th instead though, but ah well.

But I am happy that Emma Stone is cast.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They simply want to steal more money from our pocket. :D
  • Options
    OcdGirlOcdGirl Posts: 12,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am hoping its going to be in a similar vein as Batman Begins. I never really liked Maguire, especially after the 3rd film!
  • Options
    MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Spiderman was good.
    Spiderman 2 was great (one of the best ever superhero films ever made imo).
    Spiderman 3 was disappointing.

But to reboot it is so soon stinks of wanting to make $$$ asap.

Should have given Raimi time to develop and get the 4th one just right. Tobey Macguire would have come back if Raimi's vision for the 4th movie in the series had been greenlit by the studios but unfortunately Raimi clashed with Sony/Marvel and so he left. It was Sony's meddling with Spiderman 3 that resulted in it being such a disjointed affair.