Apocolyptic type novels

13»

Comments

• spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    year of the quiet sun. wilson tucker.

the kraken wakes. john wyndham. it has "upbeat" ending as only 2/3 of humanity perishes ........

fade out. patrick tilley.
  • kimotagkimotag Posts: 11,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • nitenursenitenurse Posts: 1,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    4smiffy wrote: »
    On the Beach by Neville Shute was written in 1957, but it was way ahead of it's time. It's a brilliant read, I thoroughly recommend it.

First one that I thought of when I started reading this thread. Shute is sadly forgotten today.
  • -Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Toby53 wrote: »
    Theres a sequal -- Afterlight
    Verence wrote: »
    The sequel is great!!!
    Elanor wrote: »
    I HATED the sequel! I thought it was really really silly, and frustrating. I just about got through it all, but I really really hated it with quite a passion. I love Alex Scarrow's Time Riders books, so I was disappointed not to like this one. And I didn't really like the rather preachy peak oil stuff.

It's rare for me to prefer a sequel but I thought Afterlight had the edge over Last Light. I agree "the moral of the story" stuff could have been more subtle, but I found the vivid descriptions, the well-drawn out characters and the pacey plot made for a terrific follow-up book.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am currently reading "The Gone Away World" by Nick Harkaway - post apocalyptic yes, but HUGELY entertaining and I've not read a novel quite like it before. Would highly recommend.
  • whirlingthunderwhirlingthunder Posts: 147
    Forum Member
    'The Ice People' by Maggie Gee is an excellent read. If you like 'The Handmaids Tale' I'd also highly recommend Atwood's 'Oryx and Crake' and 'The Year of the flood'. All the above give some serious consideration to how we as a species may bring about our own destruction. Happy days :D
  • MandarkMandark Posts: 47,940
    Forum Member
    Currently reading Stephen Baxter's disaster pairing Flood and Ark. Reading Flood whilst the American east coast floods is quite disturbing!!
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    john steinbeck, the grapes of wrath.
  • mocha-lattemocha-latte Posts: 2,472
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unwind by Neal Shusterman
  • calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another vote for The Stand by Stephen King.