Susan Boyle forgetting the words of Mull of Kintyre

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,306
Forum Member
✭✭✭
It not really about the games, more about this over rated so called pro singer, what a mess she made of Mull of Kintyre, she forgot the words at the beginning, was out of tune, and I just don't see a great voice. Why she is a superstar I will never get.

Comments

• ZimzammamZimzammam Posts: 158
    Forum Member
    I only caught a bit of the opening ceremony, and this was it. It was awful! All I could hear was a song being murdered, and didn't realise it was Subo till they panned in on her :o
  • codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She is an "ok" classical singer with some clear issues.

Her "story" has made her famous, exploited shamelessly for money by certain people.
  • davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How anyone can forget the opening line to this extremely well known song I don't know. She was also definitely out of tune.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,252
    Forum Member
    codeblue wrote: »

Her "story" has made her famous, exploited shamelessly for money by certain people.

You can say his name. Simon isn't Beetlejuice. He won't appear.
  • LilaethLilaeth Posts: 750
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She gets stage fright., it happens.
  • stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She's very rich.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    codeblue wrote: »

I agree. She was out of time, out of tune, just plain out of it.
  • shaddlershaddler Posts: 11,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vq9y0MP6Y2Q

Ouch. I do think she's overrated.
  • Mr_EyeMr_Eye Posts: 1,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its not exactly a surprise, she is completely barmy.
  • johartukjohartuk Posts: 11,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lilaeth wrote: »
    She gets stage fright., it happens.

But she seems to mess up on a regular basis, and she doesn't have the confidence or the performance skill to be able to cover mistakes. Instead, she messes up and makes it blindingly obvious. Mistakes can happen in any live performance, but the skill is in being able to deal with the mistakes - Susan can't.
  • LilaethLilaeth Posts: 750
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She has Asperger's - she's never been comfortable making eye contact, and struggles with anxiety a lot of the time. I doubt it occurs to her to 'cover up' mistakes, or if she has the mental agility to do so. But people want to hear her sing, and she likes to sing, so she sings. I've seen so-called legends perform spectacularly badly, so it's not like she's the only person to do so.
  • wordfromthewisewordfromthewise Posts: 2,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr_Eye wrote: »
    Its not exactly a surprise, she is completely barmy.

This is precisely why political correctness needs to exist................ignorance.>:(
  • johartukjohartuk Posts: 11,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lilaeth wrote: »
    She has Asperger's - she's never been comfortable making eye contact, and struggles with anxiety a lot of the time. I doubt it occurs to her to 'cover up' mistakes, or if she has the mental agility to do so. But people want to hear her sing, and she likes to sing, so she sings. I've seen so-called legends perform spectacularly badly, so it's not like she's the only person to do so.

The problem is, she seems to perform badly pretty much on a regular basis, and what's sad is that people seem to accept it, so there's no incentive for her to improve.
  • LenitiveLenitive Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is precisely why political correctness needs to exist................ignorance.>:(

Seriously, what a ridiculous thread. Her performance had been publicised for weeks, there were millions of folk watching around the world -- I think I'd forget my own name. You also don't know if there was some backstage sound issue that affected the start.

There aren't any threads about Rod Stewart's inability to stick to a basic melody. But no, please continue to call her barmy.
  • donna255donna255 Posts: 10,164
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Come on, tell the truth. I bet loads of us wish we could forget Mull of Kintyre!
  • lotty27lotty27 Posts: 17,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't see it live but I've just watched the video that shaddler posted and I don't know what the fuss is about, she came back from her 'hiccup' quite well and got it spot on later in the song. Even the so-called 'greats' have forgotten their lines. I once read somewhere that Barbra Streisand constantly forgets her lyrics and has to be prompted! Not sure if that's true or an urban myth though :D

People who like Susan Boyle know she has aspergers so are more forgiving than they perhaps would normally be which I think is nice.

It was a huge occasion for Susan, she knew that millions would be watching around the world so if she was extra nervous I for one don't blame her!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    donna255 wrote: »
    Come on, tell the truth. I bet loads of us wish we could forget Mull of Kintyre!

Lol I think it is one of the worst songs I have heard!
  • artlesschaosartlesschaos Posts: 11,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lotty27 wrote: »
    I didn't see it live but I've just watched the video that shaddler posted and I don't know what the fuss is about, she came back from her 'hiccup' quite well and got it spot on later in the song. Even the so-called 'greats' have forgotten their lines. I once read somewhere that Barbra Streisand constantly forgets her lyrics and has to be prompted! Not sure if that's true or an urban myth though :D

People who like Susan Boyle know she has aspergers so are more forgiving than they perhaps would normally be which I think is nice.

It was a huge occasion for Susan, she knew that millions would be watching around the world so if she was extra nervous I for one don't blame her!

If Aspergers means that she cannot perform on the world stage, perhaps she should stop trying.
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No worse than the fright that was Cheryl Cole the other year at some big do. Can't remember if it was the Jubilee bash or what but she was singing with Gary Barlow and was truly dire.
  • Millie MuppetMillie Muppet Posts: 6,853
    Forum Member
    Mull of Kintyre is hardly the Scottish national anthem.

It was written by en ex-Beatle who is not even Scottish.

Speaking of ex-Beatles, didn't that particular one spectacularly miss his cue at the London 2012 opening ceremony? :D

Susan Boyle has mental health problems and should never have been exploited as she was. Let's cut her some slack.

Or as 'da yoof' of today would say, don't hate the players, hate the game.
  • CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suppose you can be grateful she did not spend three minutes going "Biscuit. Biscuit. Biscuit"
  • kiviraatkiviraat Posts: 4,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That was the least of the opening ceremony's problems. She recovered well but was a pretty poor rendition. I hate the tune with a passion :D
  • Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    why has no mentioned the fact that she seem to be doing a weather report while singing
  • lotty27lotty27 Posts: 17,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If Aspergers means that she cannot perform on the world stage, perhaps she should stop trying.

But why? If she wants to and there's people out there who want to hear her? She might have aspergers but she can make her own decisions and must if she's up to it or not? At least I'd hope so and that there's no money-making machine in the background putting pressure on her to do it, that would be awful :( But TBH on the video that's been posted on here I've heard a damn sight worse.

I'm no fan of SuBo's music if she wants to perform and she's not making too big a hash of it I don't see why she shouldn't :confused:
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    No worse than the fright that was Cheryl Cole the other year at some big do. Can't remember if it was the Jubilee bash or what but she was singing with Gary Barlow and was truly dire.

Yes it was the Queen's Jubliee concert. Dear God, that was AWFUL. Out of tune, weedy voice. That 'performance' was an unmitigated disaster! I'd say it was a lot worse than Susan Boyle forgetting a lyric and looking stunned for a few seconds!
  • ValerianValerian Posts: 2,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lotty27 wrote: »

I saw Rod Stewart pointing off stage to his earpiece as if there was a problem with the sound. They all did pretty well if there were problems on the night.