Why does HD Voice not work?

paulkerpaulker Posts: 927
Forum Member
✭✭
I have an iphone 5 which supports hd voice and my wife and lots of friends have them but I have only experience HD voice on a few occasions and this was speaking to a customer. 3g coverage is widespread around me so we tick all the boxes for it to work. Oh and most of my friends are on EE/Orange /T-mobile

Any thoughts?

Comments

• KesterKKesterK Posts: 3,485
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paulker wrote: »
    I have an iphone 5 which supports hd voice and my wife and lots of friends have them but I have only experience HD voice on a few occasions and this was speaking to a customer. 3g coverage is widespread around me so we tick all the boxes for it to work. Oh and most of my friends are on EE/Orange /T-mobile

Any thoughts?

Are the people you are speaking to also using a HD Voice compatible phone?

Edit: sorry yes you did say your wife and others have iPhone 5's so it should work.
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    the planets really need to align to get HD voice.

both handsets need to support it.
    both parties need good 3G coverage.
    and it doesn't cross network very well.
  • paulkerpaulker Posts: 927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My only thoughts as to why it doesnt work is that maybe it needs a good data connection and if connected to an Orange mast that aint going to be the case!!! Also, maybe it doesnt work too well if one side is on T-mobile and the other is on Orange even though its supposed to.
  • DevonBlokeDevonBloke Posts: 6,835
    Forum Member
    Yeah it does tend to need to be same network (and with the planets aligned).
    Not a bandwidth issue unless the Orange mast is really really slow. 500Kbps would be way more than was needed, even for HD. The most any of the Wideband codecs use is about 96Kbps and EE are probably using a newer codec somewhere between 32 and 64Kbps. I just think it isn't properly there yet and needs tweaking.
  • BatchBatch Posts: 3,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you only have an SD Larynx?
    Forum Member
    Lol !
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    Batch wrote: »
    Do you only have an SD Larynx?

Genius! :D

Anyway, whilst this topic is here can anyone confirm if HD Voice works cross network? i've never had a HD Voice convo with someone on a different network before?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    Genius! :D

Anyway, whilst this topic is here can anyone confirm if HD Voice works cross network? i've never had a HD Voice convo with someone on a different network before?
    Aren't EE/Orange/T-Mobile the only network to use HD Voice in the UK so far?
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    KesterK wrote: »
    Aren't EE/Orange/T-Mobile the only network to use HD Voice in the UK so far?

Three do as well. (MBNL)

O2 and Vodafone haven't announced anything yet. Although Vodafone Ireland have already got it for some reason.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DevonBloke wrote: »
    Yeah it does tend to need to be same network (and with the planets aligned).
    Not a bandwidth issue unless the Orange mast is really really slow. 500Kbps would be way more than was needed, even for HD. The most any of the Wideband codecs use is about 96Kbps and EE are probably using a newer codec somewhere between 32 and 64Kbps. I just think it isn't properly there yet and needs tweaking.

Devon, What do mean same network EE-EE T-Mobile- T-Mobile Orange- Orange or any combination
    Forum Member
    paulker wrote: »
    Devon, What do mean same network EE-EE T-Mobile- T-Mobile Orange- Orange or any combination

Sorry, yes, I meant brand to brand.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Im sure I read its supposed to work brand to brand but looks like it doesn't. Will need to be really geeky and force two phones onto the same network and try
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 70
    Forum Member
    It definitely works across EE, T-Mobile and Orange. First hand experience with all the combos. I'm on Orange and friends on T-Mobile and EE, works between us all. Calls do drop backwards after a bit of crackle to the 2G call but only had 1 call drop in 2 months trying to switch over, so not that bad really.
  • The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    I've never managed to get it to work between EE & Three. No reason why it shouldn't.
    O2 & Voda for sure doesn't work, it's part of the Cornerstone upgrades though, so I'm told.
    So by end of 2014 you'll get it all the time, no matter what mast or network :)

It doesn't need a great data connection as it hardly uses that much. I've had it work on a slow Orange mast that only gave me 500kbps!
  • 12december198412december1984 Posts: 1,033
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm on an iPhone 5 (4GEE) and my friend has a Nokia Lumia 800 (Orange EE.)

Never used HD Voice before but the quality was like him being in the same room-freaked me out a little!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    In the UK HD-Voice only works within an operator's network as none of the operators have got around to agreeing an interconnect between themselves which support HD-Voice. HD-Voice doesn't rely on any type of data connection as its purely a voice service. As mentioned in the thread before: for HD-Voice to work both phones (A-party and B-party) need to support HD-Voice, then you both need to be in 3G voice coverage (not 2G), both on the same network and the network itself needs to support HD-Voice (e.g. EE, Orange, 3UK)
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    zgee9272 wrote: »
    In the UK HD-Voice only works within an operator's network as none of the operators have got around to agreeing an interconnect between themselves which support HD-Voice. HD-Voice doesn't rely on any type of data connection as its purely a voice service. As mentioned in the thread before: for HD-Voice to work both phones (A-party and B-party) need to support HD-Voice, then you both need to be in 3G voice coverage (not 2G), both on the same network and the network itself needs to support HD-Voice (e.g. EE, Orange, 3UK)

welcome to the forum.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm on an iPhone 5 (4GEE) and my friend has a Nokia Lumia 800 (Orange EE.)

Never used HD Voice before but the quality was like him being in the same room-freaked me out a little!

I'm on EE, and just the standard call quality is like HD voice compared to what the call quality was like when I was on Vodafone.

Unfortunately I don't have the opertunity to try out HD voice as nobody I know with a compatible phone is on EE.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KesterK wrote: »
    I'm on EE, and just the standard call quality is like HD voice compared to what the call quality was like when I was on Vodafone.

Unfortunately I don't have the opertunity to try out HD voice as nobody I know with a compatible phone is on EE.

And vodafone has amazing call quality in comparison to O2. O2 on the receiving end sounds like your caller has sellotape over their mouth.