"Exciting news at midnight"

Comments

• FIFA1966FIFA1966 Posts: 1,101
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So, the announcement at midnight was a bunch of pics and the name of the episode.

Typical.

Why not make an announcement as to when Doctor Who first began?

Idiots.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is that
    the Trickster from SJA
    to the left of Clara?

Brilliant if so! ^_^

FIFA1966 wrote: »
    23 November 1963 at 5.15, just before The Telegoons. ;):p
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FIFA1966 wrote: »
    So, the announcement at midnight was a bunch of pics and the name of the episode.

Typical.

Idiots.

I find it hard to imagine why a Doctor Who fan would be so grumpy about getting a glimpse of a the redesign of a classic series monster.......
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the BBC article here:

http://blogtorwho.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/the-bells-of-st-john-promo-pics.html

has a quote from Moffat:

"It's the 50th year of Doctor Who and look what's going on! We're up in the sky and under the sea! We're running round the rings of an alien world and then a haunted house. There's new Cybermen, new Ice Warriors and a never before attempted journey to the centre of the TARDIS. And in the finale, the Doctor's greatest secret will at last be revealed! If this wasn't already our most exciting year it would be anyway!"

I think the bit about the greatest secret being revealed is interesting, as it seems to imply that maybe the Fields of Trenzalore stuff may be dealt with outside of the 50th anniversary...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dunno, something about 'modern day urban thriller' doesn't exactly shout classic Doctor Who episode to me. There are other shows on TV that do 'urban thrilllers', but not many good shows that do sci fi these days, Hopefully it is just a description that some marketing twerp came up with to make it sound 'cool; Well, it's already cool in my eyes and they don't need to try and make it so different that it's not what people like anymore.

I hope thatjust means it might be a bit like Blink, with strange goings on, and the setting just happens to be around this year. I will certainly be watching and hoping it's a good one no matter what happens in it. If it is a good story then that is all that matters. I'm sure nobody cares how urban it is, or how down with the street kids it has become. Ya get me, init?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dunno, something about 'modern day urban thriller' doesn't exactly shout classic Doctor Who episode to me. There are other shows on TV that do 'urban thrilllers', but not many good shows that do sci fi these days, Hopefully it is just a description that some marketing twerp came up with to make it sound 'cool; Well, it's already cool in my eyes and they don't need to try and make it so different that it's not what people like anymore.

I hope thatjust means it might be a bit like Blink, with strange goings on, and the setting just happens to be around this year. I will certainly be watching and hoping it's a good one no matter what happens in it. If it is a good story then that is all that matters. I'm sure nobody cares how urban it is, or how down with the street kids it has become. Ya get me, init?

i think they just mean it's set in London....thats the episode we saw all that external shooting for around the London Bridge area.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure that is all they mean- just the setting, it's just the way that someone has decided to describe it. Looks a bit like they are trying to make people think it is something it's not.

It will probably mean different things to different people anyway.
  • nebogipfelnebogipfel Posts: 8,375
    Forum Member
    I'm sure that is all they mean- just the setting, it's just the way that someone has decided to describe it. Looks a bit like they are trying to make people think it is something it's not.

It will probably mean different things to different people anyway.

Doctor Who has always done its version of other genres, with its own unique science fantasy twist. It's part of the success of the format. As opposed to, say, Star Trek, which had to increasingly rely on the holodeck to provide similar escapes from its "planet of the week", "interplanetary empire wars" and "aren't warp cores fascinating?" format.

For example: historical drama, gothic horror, murder mystery, romantic comedy, detective mystery, ghost story etc etc. Alongside the more traditional out and out scifi settings.

The good thing is that the following story will be different again. And as you say, we don't yet know how much of an urban thriller it will actually be.
  • MulettMulett Posts: 9,055
    Forum Member
    Is that
    the Trickster from SJA
    to the left of Clara? Brilliant if so! ^_^

It really does look like him, and intriguing if he's behind Clara's story. He was behind Donna's 'Turn Left' adventure in season 4, so he's already been mentioned in Who. I'd almost be disappointed now if its not him! Would be nice for Sarah Jane to get a mention in the anniversary year.

The Trickster

Promo Image
  • ListentomeListentome Posts: 9,804
    Forum Member
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    I think the pic of the ice warrior is the bigger deal....

Can't tell you how excited I am about the simple fact they haven't undergone a massive redesign (well the head at least :D). Though they
    seem to have lost the claw.
  • AirboraeAirborae Posts: 2,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nice to see a pic of the Emperor Dalek as well...
  • MulettMulett Posts: 9,055
    Forum Member
    Airborae wrote: »

Is that what that is? I couldn't work it out.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It seems that the finale episode might be entitled 'The Fields of Trenzalore', due to the quote by Moffat saying that the finale...

"And in the finale, the Doctor's greatest secret will at last be revealed!" (source)

But, I really doubt that the show will reveal the Doctor's name, it'll be something else that he has hidden.
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    Blink was horror.

For urban thriller, I would expect something more Mission Impossible.

I don't think it'll be urban in the musical sense.
  • Sara_PeplowSara_Peplow Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Be interesting to find out what the big bad secret is. Maybe it will have something to do with the daleks and the asylum from the begining of S7. It has to be more then just a name. The only other person who knows his "real" name is his wife. How she managed to keep it secret I don't know. Allways calling him "doctor" or one of her pet names for him "sweetie" or "my love". What would happen if she said it by accident either from extreme pain or durring a "intimate" moment with her husband :o ?.Guess we don't have long to find out.8 episodes to finish S7 and set up for the 50th.:):D
  • The_abbottThe_abbott Posts: 26,930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    glad I waited until this morning to see these!
  • sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How many husbands could River be married to?
  • The_abbottThe_abbott Posts: 26,930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Doctor's name is...................

The Rani
  • DICKENS99DICKENS99 Posts: 2,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    i think they just mean it's set in London....thats the episode we saw all that external shooting for around the London Bridge area.

There were reports of some 'guerilla' style shooting being done at some international locations last year, basic extra stuff on streets/public locations, I can't remember if it was just speculation or hard fact but the suggestion was that they were for this episode to reflect that whatever was happening the 'urban threat' was global.
  • DiscoPDiscoP Posts: 5,920
    Forum Member
    Ohh the Shard. No sooner do they finish building new London monuments than Doctor Who comes along to trash them :)
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    Mulett wrote: »
    It really does look like him, and intriguing if he's behind Clara's story.
    The Trickster

Promo Image
    I'm always skeptical when someone says that they've seen something that looks like something else, as it usually turns out to be a tenuous similarity at best, but blow me, that looks exactly the same. Only in a different hat.
  • CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The image appears in a couple of places there. They could be other members of the Pantheon of Discord.
  • CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Airborae wrote: »

Where's the Emperor Dalek?
  • DiscoPDiscoP Posts: 5,920
    Forum Member
    Where's the Emperor Dalek?

Right there, in between Alpha Centauri and the Zygons.
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    Good posters.

Nice to see the Ice Warriors haven't been too radically changed as well.