Now we know who the star is, what do you want for Series 8?

Comments

• Hello.Hello. Posts: 1,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    poshbloke wrote: »

Finally, less focus on the companion(s) and their backstory and more on plot and establishing a credible "big bad" would be nice.

I wouldn't want less focus on their backstory, but both Amy and Clara have been pulled into the series arc too much (although with Clara it was more bearable) and I would prefer the companions to just be travellers on this journey with him rather than something he is trying to work out. Much more like RTDs' lot.
  • PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thirteen well written, self-contained episodes, with no clunky, heavy handed, tedious story arcs.

Oh, and this:
    NO River Song.
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    Shoppy wrote: »
    So what would everyone like to see in Peter Capaldi's first season as the Doctor (leaving out thoughts on his costume and character as they have their own threads)...

Which classic enemies would you like him to face?
    Which recurring characters would you like to see?
    What points in history would you like him to visit?

- Both the Master in an early two parter and Davros in a two part finale. I'd also like Axons and the Celestial Toymaker.
    - Paternoster Gang, Kate Stewart and a new male companion who joins halfway/towards the end of Series 8.
    - DaVinci, Cleopatra, Beethoven - those points in history.

I will probably answer this in more detail later.
  • HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not too much old stuff. I know they'll probably want to do the odd "return of..." to help ease us into the new Doctor, but mostly I want new stories with new monsters. If they were to bring one character back, I would say the Master. With the right actor, I think Capaldi would crackle in a battle of wits with the Master. Not action, but two geniuses trying to outwit the other, Sherlock-and-Moriarty-style.

But new stuff and new ideas are what I want. Let's create some new classic monsters who we'll be asking for a return from in years to come. Also, I'd like to see the pace slower and more atmosphere built in episodes. Creepy feelings of dread and threats lurking in the dark and less running around madly.

Oh and no saving the day with the power of love.
  • ASIFZEDASIFZED Posts: 1,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No more Murray Gold and his circus music and / or someone who can adjust the episode volume so it doesn't drown out half the dialogue.

Actually, just no more Murray Gold....
  • MulettMulett Posts: 9,055
    Forum Member
    NO MORE mucking about with the schedule. No more split seasons or untruths about the amount of episodes we are getting.

If we wait until September 2014 for season 8 and then only get 5 episodes (and have to wait another six months for the remaining seven episodes) I will personally start a campaign to have the entire production team sacked.
  • SatmanagerSatmanager Posts: 837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ASIFZED wrote: »
    No more Murray Gold and his circus music and / or someone who can adjust the episode volume so it doesn't drown out half the dialogue.

I thought I was the only one who was bothered by this!

I would think that Clara's relation with the Doctor will be changed after being inserted into the time stream. It should bring them both closer together and more trusting of each other.

- full series without a break.
    - no River Song
    - Da Vinci or Marco Polo
    - I don't need another companion at this point, lets get to know Clara and and the new Doctor.
    - Lets see the Cybermen - Remember we had a piece of them floating in space after a Nightmare in Silver.
  • solarpenguinsolarpenguin Posts: 488
    Forum Member
    More two part stories

One story set in the 1920s

The return of the Mara
  • JohnnyForgetJohnnyForget Posts: 24,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Satmanager wrote: »

- Da Vinci or Marco Polo

It's been done.

The Fourth Doctor met Leonardo Da Vinci in a story entitled "City Of Death", and the First Doctor met Marco Polo in a story entitled ... er ... "Marco Polo".
  • DJGMDJGM Posts: 3,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What would I like to see in series 8, now there's an older actor in the starring role? A dramatic reduction in reliance
    on that flippin' sonic toy! Not a total removal though, but at least one episode where it isn't used at all, if possible.
  • PiippPiipp Posts: 2,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    -Twelve to get his own Sonic.
    -A full series aired in one piece; NO SPLIT.
    -A return to the format we had for series 1-4 (ie, two two parters and a two part finale).
    -A story showing the Cybermen BEFORE they became what we saw in series 7. I want to see the same design but underneath it's not quite had the upgrades to make it so invincible that the only way to stop it is to destroy the whole planet. I want to physically see them become the Cyberman that is so scary you have to destroy a whole planet to kill it.
    -Assuming Skaro is brought back in the 50th I want a visit. With the Lego Daleks too; I'm actually quite fond of them, especially their eye stalks.
    -Assuming the Time Lords are brought back in the 50th I want a good story involving them. Perhaps the story arch for series eight could be the Doctor on the run from the Time Lords for what he did in the Time War.
    -A decent Silurian story. Actually make them a good enemy this time.
    -A real Sontaran invasion story with Strax doing the unthinkable and betraying Vastra and Jenny.
    -The Master to return. And I want to see him regenerate from Simm too!
    -Another Ice Warrior story, this time with more of them.
    -A new enemy created by Moffat. He's great at making scary monsters.
    -A great score by Murray Gold including a brand new theme for the Doctor.
    -A young male companion to join the TARDIS to give Clara a little support.

I think that just about covers it. :P
  • HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ASIFZED wrote: »

Actually, just no more Murray Gold....

To be fair to Murray Gold, he has no input on the sound mixing of the episodes. He just composes the score. They sound much better if you have a surround system, as the dialogue is produced through the centre speaker and the score through the front left/right. It's clearly been mixed with a home cinema in mind.

Good for those with expensive setups. Not so good for those with basic TV speakers. But its not poor Murray's fault. He's a good composer, but he's not the one who mixes the audio for transmission.
  • November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    wizzywick wrote: »
    What would I like?

A straight run of episodes without a gap.

^This x1000.

No more split seasons please.
  • PiippPiipp Posts: 2,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Helbore wrote: »
    To be fair to Murray Gold, he has no input on the sound mixing of the episodes. He just composes the score. They sound much better if you have a surround system, as the dialogue is produced through the centre speaker and the score through the front left/right. It's clearly been mixed with a home cinema in mind.

Good for those with expensive setups. Not so good for those with basic TV speakers. But its not poor Murray's fault. He's a good composer, but he's not the one who mixes the audio for transmission.

He's not a good composer. He's a FANTASTIC composer. His music is one of the huge draws of the show for me. I enjoy sitting here listening to the soundtracks on repeat quite often. :P

I agree though, the episodes aren't mixed very well at all. Sometimes I can barely hear the dialogue over the score and I'm almost tempted to turn the subtitles on. It never used to be this way, I think it started in series five.
  • AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    WHAT DO I WANT FOR SERIES 8?
    Well, with Capaldi and Coleman I think I'm already more excited for Series 8 than I was for Series 7 - the last series for whatever reason was my least favourite of the seven that we've had and I think a breath of fresh air will be good (as sad as I'll be to see Smith bow out)...

Series structure...
    I would try to find a middle ground between the format of Series 1-5 and the almost lack of a format we saw with the tail-end of Series 6 and Series 7. As such, with Series 8 looking set to be 12 episodes instead of the usual 13 I would have just two two-parters rather than returning to three. This would include a two-parter around the middle of the series and then a two-part finale as well. Stories can be told in 45 minutes and I'm happy to keep that length...maybe give the final episode an extra 5-10 minutes if it really needs it but as a two-part story it shouldn't do :)

The Good Guys...
    So we have Capaldi and Coleman fronting Series 8. I would love it if we got a bit of a darker Doctor, one who is a bit less morally sound and who may not always make the decision we see as the kindest or the best. The Ninth Doctor was very much like this and there was a lot of potential to explore it further...unfortunately we never got to see that so this could be that chance. Clara needs fleshing out as a character... ditch those pesky kids she looks after and just give us Clara as a person, rather than as an enigma.

In addition to those two, I'd also like to revisit the structure of Series 1 a little. Adam and Captain Jack were brief companions aboard the TARDIS, but I'd definitely like to see someone else come aboard towards the end of Series 8...once Clara has established herself a bit more. I still concur that Gillian Anderson* would make a brilliant companion, even more so alongside Capaldi than Smith - she would resonate well with the growing American audience though she could still play an English character.
    Alternately a young male companion would be great and might work better (save Gillian until Clara is done ;) ). I always thought Lyndon Ogbourne** would be brilliant, even if it would mean two ex-Emmerdale cast members aboard at once :D
    * http://i2.cdnds.net/13/19/300x225/uktv-gillian-anderson-the-fall-3.jpg
    ** http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lqu111xFxt1qbli43o1_500.jpg

The Bad Guys...
    Series 8 sits in a slightly awkward position with this one. Usually a new Doctor would face an array of familiar bad guys to remind us that it is still the same show, but Series 7 used a lot of them up in celebration of the 50th year, and it would be quite a bit too soon for many of them to crop up yet again. Given the costume design of the Zygons for the 50th I could very much see them getting a proper story in Series 8 - it'd make logical and financial sense. I could probably bring back the Cybermen as well if they were given something constructive to do... they've sat awkwardly in Series 6 and Series 7 just ahead of the big series finales. Maybe they get an actual finale for once...without Daleks coming in to steal their thunder.

The Filming...
    Keeping up with tradition, I'd have a bit of location filming for Series 8. I still think Australia would double for an alien planet very nicely, or perhaps a story involving Ayer's Rock :p I think the US filming served as a distraction in Series 6 and 7 and should perhaps be kept to smaller stories... the bigger stories tend to already have massive drawing points already, and there's no need to put all your eggs in one basket. If Australia is a bit too ambitious when gearing up a new Doctor (save it for Series 9), perhaps Paris?

The Stories...
    Less timey-wimey, more A-B storytelling. The time travel element of the show has bordered on a novelty plot device too much recently and I want to see a more sophisticated, dialogue-driven script. Morality was always a strong point of earlier series, even if only in short bursts - just look at Margaret Slitheen begging for her life in Boom Town, or the references to concentration camps from Wilf in Turn Left... more of this sort of character exposition, less of the flashy gimmickry, and less of that bloody sonic screwdriver.

The Music...
    Murray Gold is talented and though I finally feel ready to see what someone else can bring to the show I don't mind him sticking around. A change in direction would be good though.

The writers...
    So this is a hard one as there are never enough episodes to meet the amount of writers you want to see make a comeback. I would give Gaiman a break for a bit as he is quite busy and he also disappointed me with the Series 7 effort. Tom McRae is to return I believe and I'm quite happy with that, and I'd have Toby Whithouse on board as well. I imagine Gatiss would get an episode as well, and I'd want there to be room for some original writers too.

So, overall...

8.01 EPISODE ONE, by Steven Moffat
    Peter Capaldi and Jenna Coleman
    A new bad guy, maybe in a historical setting. Perhaps an Amelia Earhart story or something.

8.02 THE ZYGONS, by Tom McRae
    The Zygons get their second proper story, and if previous rumours were correct about the McRae script it would be based in a rural Scottish village which hides a dark secret.

8.03 EPISODE THREE, by New Writer
    A future-set story which I imagine would be quite light-hearted and comedy-rooted. Revolves around a woman trying to make a film about a mysterious legend called The Doctor.

8.04 CYBERMAN, by Steven Moffat
    Give Moffat the chance to write something a bit less arc-heavy so he can actually show off his writing skills with a bit more diversity. I liked what he did with the Cyberman in The Pandorica Opens and think he could deliver them a whole episode of that calibre...I think they need it too.

8.05 TRIANGLE, by Toby Whithouse (1/2)
    A two-parter revolving around the TARDIS ending up stuck inside the Bermuda Triangle... a phenomenon even The Doctor doesn't yet understand. A story involving historical waships, WW2 planes, spacecraft from the future and a woman who has lived forever.

8.06 WHATEVER HAPPENED TO FLIGHT 19? by Toby Whithouse (2/2)
    The infamous Flight 19 is the centre of the story, and its mystery will answer all the questions about the Triangle. Whithouse would be great for a two-parter, as he's shown us his capabilities writing contemporary, historical and futuristic stories, and has also shown he can write for episodes filmed on location - which this very well could be.

8.07 THE MERMAID AND THE CENTAUR, by New Writer
    A mysterious inn where the walls come to life at night and the guests go missing when a shadow passes over their rooms.

8.08 EPISODE EIGHT, by Gareth Roberts
    I missed having a Roberts story in Series 7 and would love to see him do another. I don't think a Loger-3 would work with Capaldi, so perhaps something a bit more like Series 1's Father's Day where Clara ends up crossing paths with her mother. Robert's always wrote emotional character stuff well.

8.09 THE HOUSE AT THE EDGE OF THE WORLD, by Steven Moffat
    Peter Capaldi, Jenna Coleman and Lyndon Ogbourne
    A dramatic story about a time-travelling couple who inspired from an adventure with The Doctor that he hasn't had yet, went on to become the most famous explorers in the universe. When he finds their bodies sat within a house on the edge of a disc-shaped world far across the galaxy, a journey begins across that perilous land to discover why they died. As The Doctor learns about these people he is yet to meet, Clara is actually the one to meet the man of the couple but before he's even met his wife - he ends up travelling with them at the end, introducing a new companion.

8.10 EPISODE TEN, by Mark Gatiss
    Obligatory episode from Gatiss... give him something contemporary to write..set in or around the present day.

8.11 FINALE 1/2, by Steven Moffat
    Introduce something original and intimidating, something The Doctor knows he will never win against, something he can only escape from.

8.12 FINALE 2/2, by Steven Moffat
    Have you ever looked up at the clouds and wondered what is staring back at you from inside them? Something tense and dramatic but not overdone for the series finale.

I hope I wasn't too thorough :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Am I right in thinking that there hasn't been a two-parter since the Flesh episodes? I'd certainly want them back! The two-parters that is, not the Flesh...

I think all my other thoughts have pretty much been mentioned. I'd just be happy with a straight run of solid stores that don't have rushed endings, and a less whimsical approach - something more down to Earth (but not literally!).
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Am I right in thinking that there hasn't been a two-parter since the Flesh episodes? I'd certainly want them back! The two-parters that is, not the Flesh...

I believe A Good man goes to War /Let's Kill Hitler is classed as a 2 parter (by some at least).

Plus Name of the Doctor /50th may be a 2 parter.

With regards to the writers for Series 8, I believe it's been stated that Chris Chibnall will be doing a script.
  • paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member
    Shoppy wrote: »
    So what would everyone like to see in Peter Capaldi's first season as the Doctor (leaving out thoughts on his costume and character as they have their own threads)...

Which classic enemies would you like him to face?
    Which recurring characters would you like to see?
    What points in history would you like him to visit?

Rather it would be what I don't want to see
    • sonic screwdriver
    • psychic paper
    • lots of running around corridors

Never did warm to John Sims master - would rather someone more Machiavellian than someone dancing around like a demented flea.

Nor do I think the Daleks have been well written - lets return to some good old planet invasions - no silly humanoid daleks (they devolved from that form for a start). No iDaleks either!

These are the most feared xenophobic creature in the galaxy - why in heaven do they want to be like something they consider inferior.
  • nathanbrazilnathanbrazil Posts: 8,863
    Forum Member
    Never did warm to John Sims master - would rather someone more Machiavellian than someone dancing around like a demented flea.

Yes, I know what you mean. JS is a fine actor, but completely wrong to play the Master.
    These are the most feared xenophobic creature in the galaxy - why in heaven do they want to be like something they consider inferior.

Yes. The Ecclestone Dalek incarnation worked really well, even to the point of Rose's DNA corrupting it into suicide. But, if they bring them back again, they need to be seriously scary.
  • jtnorthjtnorth Posts: 5,081
    Forum Member
    Sorry if this has been discussed many times before, but is it true Malorie Blackman is writing one this series?

I hope Capaldi won't be a prickly or difficult Doctor at the beginning. That makes me think of Colin Baker. I think a lot rides on getting a really strong convincing relationship between his Doctor and Clara right from the off, particularly to keep the audience that might give the first in the series a go because Capaldi's in it. Angry with the villains, yes, but not with Clara. And a very scary monster. Any hero is only as good as the villain they're up against.
  • CAMERA OBSCURACAMERA OBSCURA Posts: 8,010
    Forum Member
    Full uninterrupted series.

More or just even just better dialogue between characters. It got to the stage where there was just too much quick one liners and exposition, fine now and again but dear god, at times it felt like the main characters were robots.
    Let The Doctor and companion talk, this is how we get to know them, telling us a companion is mysterious whilst giving her a catchphrase and a tag isn't characterisation. So NO catchphrases or character tags like 'I'm soufflé Girl'. 'The Girl who waited' 'The Impossible girl'
    Jesus wept, please no more.:D

Script editing to be run over with a fine tooth comb so it all fizzles. Average episodes needed far better attention and pacing than they have had under Mr. Moffat IMO.

No timey wimey arcs, series or character. Its been done to death now, it was quite clever in Blink but after that and for the last 3 series..not so. In fact only timey wimey I want to see is the Tardis when it lands at the start of the episode and when it sodding takes off at the end of the episode.:D

No more awful cinema episode posters, for me the wide shot style of the last 3 series has left everything feeling the same now, a distinct distance from the characters and action. Not enough contrast between episodes.

As for writers, all new writers and show runners across the board. New Doctor, new blood. For me this next series has to feel NEW (especially visually) and not a direct continuation of the Matt Smith era.

Surely there must be many 'surefire hit' Who novels beyond Human Nature that could be adapted, even if one is on stand by in case a jaw dropping clunker like Nightmare In Silver comes in.

The new Doctor not to be shoved in the background for even for a second. This is Peter Capaldi we are talking about..it wont do to have companion/s and River song take centre stage for his entire run. Poor Matt Smith what an absolute waste of a wonderful Doctor, third fiddle to Amy and River for 2 and a half series.

Slight teaser arc, and by slight I mean the odd word here or there nothing more nothing less so you don't even know it is there. And all building to the return of Davros for a three part balls out kitchen sink finale with Capaldi's Doctor after blood. Massive cliffhangers in part one and two to help build word of mouth, Internet buzz and media interest. Doctor Who finales should be getting the same overnights and media buzz as Sherlock finales.

A series that makes fans talk more about amazing scenes , characterisation and dialogue rather than ...Shhhhhh spoilers and how everything sodding thing might be all connected to an irrelevant loaf of bread first seen in a passing shot during episode one.ZZZZZZzzzzzz

And free pizza with every episode.

Of course all in my option, and all of course easier said than done than just sitting on a sofa having a cuppa after just putting the washing machine on.

And yes, it does suit me.
  • allen_whoallen_who Posts: 2,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just hope he doesn't spend half of his first story in a daze like most regens... god thats tedious
  • SatmanagerSatmanager Posts: 837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's been done.

The Fourth Doctor met Leonardo Da Vinci in a story entitled "City Of Death", and the First Doctor met Marco Polo in a story entitled ... er ... "Marco Polo".

I guess when you haven't seen them all, that is what you get. I guess I am just not the best, detail oriented Doctor fan - at least yet. But I am still learning!
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jtnorth wrote: »
    Sorry if this has been discussed many times before, but is it true Malorie Blackman is writing one this series?

She wrote a 7th Doctor Story for the ongoing monthly series of stories written by famous children's authors.

Not seen anything about her writing on the TV series itself, though it seems she has done some TV work in the past.