Is this Madonna's most cringeworthy song to date?

Derek FayeDerek Faye Posts: 1,081
Forum Member
✭✭✭
And even if Rihanna or Gaga released this I'd still think it would qualify in the "cringe" category, so it's not necessary an ageist thing towards Madonna..

But seriously!?

"SEX"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVFAckFrsEQ

"Let me get on top, oh my god, soaking wet, back and forth til we break the bed!"

"I'm an open book, I'll let you come inside of me"

What the!?

Comments

• Los_TributosLos_Tributos Posts: 2,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I was forced to have sex with her I certainly wouldn't let her get on top. I'd rather take her from behind so that I wouldn't have to look at her face.
  • Bob_AjobBob_Ajob Posts: 1,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not that bad.
    It will never make her top 10..... but still, not bad.
  • TH14TH14 Posts: 11,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is cringeworthy and I sincerely hope that and holy Water don't make the album over some much more deserving tracks
  • SereniitySereniity Posts: 588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its not my fave from the new stuff but its Madonna so why would anyone act like they are shocked? this is Madonna. Its who she is and who she has always been. I do find it bizarre when people claims to be outraged or cringing at Madonna when her entire career has been made up of two things, Sex and religion. If you are still offended now then you can't have followed her for long. This is who she has always been.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 121
    Forum Member
    Managed about 45 seconds. Absolutely embarrassing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sereniity wrote: »
    Its not my fave from the new stuff but its Madonna so why would anyone act like they are shocked? this is Madonna. Its who she is and who she has always been. I do find it bizarre when people claims to be outraged or cringing at Madonna when her entire career has been made up of two things, Sex and religion. If you are still offended now then you can't have followed her for long. This is who she has always been.

I've followed her since I can remember and go every tour without fail but I find it cringeworthy. I also found JImmy Jimmy, Candy Shop, GMAYL and plenty more cringeworthy. I'm not enough of a blind fan to agree that everything she does is absolutely perfect.

I think this record will be up there with the very best in her career based on the demos if she chooses which tracks to include carefully. I just hope and pray that crap like SEX and Holy Water don't get the nod ahead of outstanding tracks like Inside Out, Messiah, Graffiti Heart and Tragic Girl
  • Derek FayeDerek Faye Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Medoner
  • abarthmanabarthman Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member
    She's getting a wee bit old for all this overt sex nonsense now.

She released that metal-covered Sex book almost 25 years ago. When she was still fit.
  • elnombreelnombre Posts: 3,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I was forced to have sex with her I certainly wouldn't let her get on top. I'd rather take her from behind so that I wouldn't have to look at her face.

:)

Personally I'd only go for it if I had access to a time machine and could go back and do the deed when she didn't look like someone's granny at the Rocky Horror Show.
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quite frankly, I think Madonna is at her cringiest when she tries too hard to be down with the kids, i.e - 4 Minutes
  • Gigi4Gigi4 Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    abarthman wrote: »
    She's getting a wee bit old for all this overt sex nonsense now.

She released that metal-covered Sex book almost 25 years ago. When she was still fit.

Madonna is still very fit! When does a person become too old for sex? I guess you don't have sex anymore!

This song is an unfinished demo that may not even be on her new album so I think it's a little unfair to judge it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TH14 wrote: »
    I've followed her since I can remember and go every tour without fail but I find it cringeworthy. I also found JImmy Jimmy, Candy Shop, GMAYL and plenty more cringeworthy. I'm not enough of a blind fan to agree that everything she does is absolutely perfect.

I think this record will be up there with the very best in her career based on the demos if she chooses which tracks to include carefully. I just hope and pray that crap like SEX and Holy Water don't get the nod ahead of outstanding tracks like Inside Out, Messiah, Graffiti Heart and Tragic Girl

I like songs like Inside Out, Messiah etc that you named are great but I think the album might be a little boring if she just included songs like that. The whole concept of the album is that it has poppy less serious in your face probably sexual songs (that's the Rebel part) and more heartfelt introspective ballads (Heart part). So there are going to be some fun slightly sexual songs I think. I think calling songs like you mentioned cringeworthy is kind of missing the point. You aren't supposed to take them too seriously. Madonna is in on the joke. It's nice to listen to her ballads and more serious stuff but there's also a part of her that's more fun loving, dancey and sexual. Both of those are part of her music. She has always had both and I hope she will continue to do so. So to say you just want serious songs and fun poppy sexual songs is cringeworthy is sort of missing a part of who she is as a singer and a performer.
  • gregrichardsgregrichards Posts: 4,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just wish artists would concentrate on making great songs rather than causing needless controversy. The side show antics take away from the music Madonna, Miley and Gaga are the worst for this. You don't have to wh@re yourself out to sell records. Does Madonna never think of how this affects her children particularly the youngest ones?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just listened to the song and I think it's quite a good catchy pop song. Sounds fun! I hope it's on the album to drive people crazy who have no sense of humour!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just wish artists would concentrate on making great songs rather than causing needless controversy. The side show antics take away from the music Madonna, Miley and Gaga are the worst for this. You don't have to wh@re yourself out to sell records. Does Madonna never think of how this affects her children particularly the youngest ones?

So people who are parents can never do sexual things in their work? What about actresses and actors who do sex scenes in movies? Why does everyone want to ban sex from music? Sex is a part of life. Almost all of us have it at some point. I don't see why people can't write songs about it. It's only shocking if you think having or enjoying sex is somehow shameful.
  • 446.09375446.09375 Posts: 961
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does she really believe she's shocking anyone or breaking any barriers? It's just sad.
  • Feline77Feline77 Posts: 753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not the subject of sex that bothers me, it's just not a very good song on first listen so it wouldn't bother me if it didn't make the final tracklist. It is a demo though so we can't really judge it fully in its unfinished form.

I still cannot wait for Rebel Heart though - I need that album so badly.
  • elnombreelnombre Posts: 3,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gigi4 wrote: »
    Madonna is still very fit! When does a person become too old for sex?

About five albums ago.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Feline77 wrote: »
    It's not the subject of sex that bothers me, it's just not a very good song on first listen so it wouldn't bother me if it didn't make the final tracklist. It is a demo though so we can't really judge it fully in its unfinished form.

I still cannot wait for Rebel Heart though - I need that album so badly.

I agree,I think she'd be really selling herself short by putting this on the album. It isn't a patch on some of the other demos and I'd be disappointed if she put it on 'for a joke' or to raise some eyebrows when she has genuinely outstanding demos that are far more worthy of a place
  • SereniitySereniity Posts: 588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gigi4 wrote: »
    I just listened to the song and I think it's quite a good catchy pop song. Sounds fun! I hope it's on the album to drive people crazy who have no sense of humour!

I agree. Of all the things to get mad at Madonna over this seems lame. Sex has always been who she is and just because she is now older why should she stop? Its honestly just a fun song and I don't think it would be out of place on Rebel Heart purely because most of it sounds retrospective. So Madonna's sexual presence has to be represented in some shape or form. Like she sings on the title track, she does things like this to provoke :p

I honestly hope she is still flashing her tits and singing about sex when she is 90! I love it. :kitty:

19 tracks are going on this album, a record for M, so not everyone will be happy with all the songs there.
  • Pele-thefiregoddessPele-thefiregoddess Posts: 6,170
    Forum Member
    yes ... i dont understand ...its a demo about sex...most contemporary songs are about sex... so why the discrimination? Is it her age?

I thought it was going to burst into 'lets talk about sex' at the beginning ... because it has that old skool sound ... and is all the better for it.

Is she breaking barriers .... no ...she is the lone voice and image battling against female chauvinism and agesim ...will she win this battle? .. i suspect no....she is a trailblazer... just like she was for the rights of homosexuality; aids/hiv; teenage pregnancy/religious prejudice, racism and equal rights for women, anti- war and anti americanism.......all actioned against popular opinion at the time...

it seems most people today feel that everyone is over the hill over the age of 30.... and Madonna is always referred to with regards to her age now in the press....or by social media ....whereas I say be true to yourself and be happy in your own skin .... and perhaps Madonna is more aligned to this message ....'open your heart' .. :)
  • RoadRoverRoadRover Posts: 184
    Forum Member
    Derek Faye wrote: »
    And even if Rihanna or Gaga released this I'd still think it would qualify in the "cringe" category, so it's not necessary an ageist thing towards Madonna..

But seriously!?

"SEX"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVFAckFrsEQ

"Let me get on top, oh my god, soaking wet, back and forth til we break the bed!"

"I'm an open book, I'll let you come inside of me"

What the!?

Why are you uploading stolen tracks?
  • Derek FayeDerek Faye Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RoadRover wrote: »
    Why are you uploading stolen tracks?

ROFL Oh dear!
  • RoadRoverRoadRover Posts: 184
    Forum Member
    Derek Faye wrote: »
    ROFL Oh dear!

Why is this funny? You are linking to stolen, unreleased work. Would u like it if someone did that with something you created? You are just an accessory. Nothing more than a common theif..with less morals.
  • glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    RoadRover wrote: »
    Why is this funny? You are linking to stolen, unreleased work. Would u like it if someone did that with something you created? You are just an accessory. Nothing more than a common theif..with less morals.

It's times like this when I really miss the eye-roll... This will have to do -> :o:D

Back to the track though. It's a demo which was never meant to be heard so it's hardly fair to criticise. Had she have released it as a single then I could understand some of the comments above, but it isn't and wasn't. I personally don't mind it :D