Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 62)

Comments

• Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An utterly predictable flop for Brucie. As I predicted a month ago.

Very strong for MBB. Wonder how many people saw it before xmas day in their guides and planned to watch last night instead? Note that all timeshift of the Xmas day showing after 1010 last night will now get added to this 4.45m, stupidly, so the Saturday repeat could end up with 6.5m+ in the inaccurate and credibility lacking BARB officials.

Ok for TG in the circumstances of botched scheduling and botched promotion.

The BBC botched Top Gear and Mrs Brown's Boys. And I knew that Bruce show would bea turkey. A badly scheduled Christmas from the BBC.
  • Options
    Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    An utterly predictable flop for Brucie. As I predicted a month ago.

Very strong for MBB. Wonder how many people saw it before xmas day in their guides and planned to watch last night instead? Note that all timeshift of the Xmas day showing after 1010 last night will now get added to this 4.45m, stupidly, so the Saturday repeat could end up with 6.5m+ in the inaccurate and credibility lacking BARB officials.

Ok for TG in the circumstances of botched scheduling and botched promotion.

Meaning in excess of 13 million will have seen it. Perhaps we could call it very delayed +1 as a one-off ;-)
  • Options
    yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    Esio Trot should do well with 2 big stars and what looks like a wonderful story. Probably the BBC highlight as their other dramas/comedy dramas have been poor and I dont hold out much hope fot Mapp & Lucia.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yorkie100 wrote: »
    So Brucie flops in what was apparently a very well produced and entertaining show as did Sunday night at the Palladium. I fear we are not going to see many more attempts at this kind of thing now.
    We keep being told people want something different but whenever its tried it flops along with all the other so called 'unimaginitive' programming.

To the public variety is dead and no amount of promotion is going to change that seemingly. In the good old days Hall of Fame would have won the slot easily. It was a very good show imo but too many people(who might have actually enjoyed it) would have disregarded it without a second thought, and that is tvs problem.
    Personally I have already decided not to watch Esio Trot-the promos don't inspire me and even the name puts me off. (would expand but typing virtually impossibly slow)
  • Options
    H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm in no doubt that the some of those 4.45mwho watched the MBB rpt, also watched it on Xmas Day. I should know because that is what we did last night. When a comedy is good, you can watch it many times.

And will PC ever get any competition from ITV other than throwaway crap. If its not YBF, its another clip show.
  • Options
    H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Esio Trot will do well, I'm in no doubt of that.
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chris1964 wrote: »
    Meaning in excess of 13 million will have seen it. Perhaps we could call it very delayed +1 as a one-off ;-)

I expect there'll be a lot of multiple viewings. Isn't it that sort of programme?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So Brucie flops in what was apparently a very well produced and entertaining show as did Sunday night at the Palladium. I fear we are not going to see many more attempts at this kind of thing now.
    We keep being told people want something different but whenever its tried it flops along with all the other so called 'unimaginitive' programming.

That didn't look appealing. Just people singing songs, no spectacle. How variety is packaged makes it look staid. Just because it is in a theatre doesn't mean people will watch.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm in no doubt that the some of those 4.45mwho watched the MBB rpt, also watched it on Xmas Day. I should know because that is what we did last night. When a comedy is good, you can watch it many times.

And will PC ever get any competition from ITV other than throwaway crap. If its not YBF, its another clip show.

What is PC?

Where are the big comedies to get millions watching? Next Christmas is going to look very weak for comedy on BBC1 unless they find some hits. Oh what am I saying? They won't find any hits! :D
  • Options
    sn_22sn_22 Posts: 6,477
    Forum Member
    cylon6 wrote: »
    That didn't look appealing. Just people singing songs, no spectacle. How variety is packaged makes it look staid. Just because it is in a theatre doesn't mean people will watch.

Yet it's apparently what people have been calling out for - no frills, just old fashioned entertainment. Turns out, people don't seem to know what they want!

There's an awful lot of wisdom after the event going on this Christmas (even more than usual!). But the point is, everything has been consistently low - you can only go so far in blaming scheduling or promotions for that. We could have run with almost anyone's preferred schedules - they were all riddled with holes in some place, and the end result would be much the same.
  • Options
    tobitobi Posts: 2,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brucie's programme was just a Christmas filler anyway.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any figures for other channels last night please ?
  • Options
    Cestrian18Cestrian18 Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    Mrs Brown's Boys yet again proving its ratings indestructibility- I'm expecting a lot from its New Year's Day Performance- As a side note, BBC One have an incredibly strong New Years Day Schedule, with the premiere of Tintin, Esio Trot, Miranda, a resurgent Eastender's and MBB- Its not going to look good for BOAF or Emmerdale which have already flopped hard in the face of bit of competition (And I suspect the Dark Knight might tank as well, its an incredibly long film, which most people will have seen, in a 9pm slot)
  • Options
    yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member

Surely just as appealling as the Palladium shows?
  • Options
    vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is it any wonder people get pissed off with this thread,....How many FM's avoid this thread because it constantly veers away from ratings talk.

As for the dress comment you really need to grow up.😡

Your potty mouth is a reason to avoid this thread and it's you that needs to grow up with posts like...
    ..., no way should that vile Forsyth thing ever had an airing, I hope it's ratings reflect what a steaming pile of excrement it was.
  • Options
    Jules 1Jules 1 Posts: 2,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What is PC?

Where are the big comedies to get millions watching? Next Christmas is going to look very weak for comedy on BBC1 unless they find some hits. Oh what am I saying? They won't find any hits! :D

I think he means Pointless Celebrities
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It was far more than that. Comedy, impressions, history, slapstick and modern performers paying tribute to their inspirations. Far better than maybe the promos would have suggested.
  • Options
    Tindie_BaisTindie_Bais Posts: 2,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What did he Haunting of reccilffic house get on five
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What did he Haunting of reccilffic house get on five

Looks like you are having the same typing issues as me :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What is PC?

There's always Miller's Mountain or they could hold back Car Share for a three hour feature length episode.
  • Options
    Zac QuinnZac Quinn Posts: 5,172
    Forum Member
    Absolutely, I said as much the other day. Wouldn't be surprised if next year they just 'do a Holby City' and stick with Pointless Celebrities and Casualty on Boxing Day.
    tobi wrote: »
    Brucie's programme was just a Christmas filler anyway.

Absolutely not. It was heavily advertised, had a number of high-profile guests and was clearly intended to fill the LE gap for one of the two Saturday nights between Strictly ending and The Voice returning - as is the Frank Sinatra show next week.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like you are having the same typing issues as me :D

I bought a Bluetooth keyboard for my tablet. Might as well go back to the laptop.
  • Options
    Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was far more than that. Comedy, impressions, history, slapstick and modern performers paying tribute to their inspirations. Far better than maybe the promos would have suggested.

A lot of people in posts seem to have missed it thinking it was just another variety show.

It wasn't.

It was celebrities revealing their inspirations, Brucie discussing why they were great and then the celeb doing a Stars in their Eyes type routine of the comedy, impressions or music - some of them WITH Brucie (eg he and Ben Miller reproduced a comedy skit from 50 years ago that Brucie did with Norman Wisdom).

The problem was the awful promotion of this show that really did little to tell viewers it was that kind of show and not just Brucie singing a few songs with some guests.

That promotion needs looking at by the BBC as I think it cost them a million or more viewers.
  • Options
    davey_waveydavey_wavey Posts: 27,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm still surprised nothing has topped the 8 million overnight mark this Christmas. Could Last Tango in Halifax be the first to do it tonight? Its not facing any major clashes in its slot and wasn't it really popular last time round.
  • Options
    Sweaty Job RotSweaty Job Rot Posts: 2,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    15:10 - FILM: How to Train Your Dragon: 2.01m (15.4%)
    16:40 - FILM: Kung Fu Panda 2: 2.83m (17.0%)
    18:00 - BBC News: 4.98m (26.2%)
    18:10 - BBC Regional News: 5.56m (28.8%)
    18:20 - Celebrity Mastermind: 4.19m (21.3%)
    18:50 - Pointless Celebrities: 5.04m (24.1%)
    19:40 - Lottery: 4.00m (19.2%)
    20:30 - Bruce's Hall of Fame: 3.85m (17.0%)
    21:40 - Mrs Brown's Boys: 4.45m (21.5%)
    22:15 - BBC News: 4.35m (22.6%)
    22:35 - Live at the Apollo: 2.48m (15.1%)
    23:05 - Not Going Outtakes: 2.04m (16.2%)

If it was not for the news ,Pointless and MBB the entire schedule could be viewed as a flop, cannot wait to see how bad ITV and the minor terrestrials performed.
This discussion has been closed.