Why do I have to let them in my home??????

Comments

• DragonQDragonQ Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He didn't, you're just making it up.
    I would agree, no-one can think these arguments make any sense.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 105
    Forum Member
    DragonQ wrote: »
    When we make the gradual shift to IPTV it will be fairly simple for ISPs to know who is watching live TV and who isn't, and this information can obviously be relayed to the TV Licensing Company (or whatever it's called) if they can get legal clearance to do this.
    I would wager that by the time that happens, the TV license will have been abolished. The fee is frozen until 2016 and I wouldn't be at all surprise if the next settlement is the last.
  • DragonQDragonQ Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    icewizard wrote: »
    I would wager that by the time that happens, the TV license will have been abolished. The fee is frozen until 2016 and I wouldn't be at all surprise if the next settlement is the last.
    Possible, yes. But it'd just be replaced with a general tax or "media licence" which essentially everyone would have to pay anyway.
  • howard hhoward h Posts: 23,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A previous poster mentioned gas people forceably entering a house. As it's gas I think they have a (statutory) right to do so (without a warrant??) as it's clearly a safety issue.

One thing that puzzled me from the past - colour licence was always more than B/W, but if you paid for the B/W how could they know it wasn't colour?
  • zz9zz9 Posts: 10,767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    howard h wrote: »
    A previous poster mentioned gas people forceably entering a house. As it's gas I think they have a (statutory) right to do so (without a warrant??) as it's clearly a safety issue.

As I mentioned before they can and do use their powers of entry for purely financial or payment reasons. They broke into my home while I was out to fit a pre payment meter because someone cocked up my account when I changed supplier.
  • jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zz9 wrote: »
    Do you have gas in your home? Try getting rid of your gas cooker and heating and stopping using gas, but just tell your supplier you have stopped using their gas and therefore you won't be paying any more.

I think you'll find they do not take your word for it but will come to your home to check the meter and cap it, and have power to force entry if you don't let them in. Many years ago there was a cockup when I changed supplier and I arrived home one day to find British Gas had forced entry to my home while no one was in and fitted a pre payment meter! (I read them the riot act on the phone and they came back and took it out)

So that is a true analogy. When you can use a service covertly people will check you are entitled. British Gas will check you are not using gas without paying. The NHS will check you are a UK resident. DVLA will make sure you have car tax or a SORN. And the BBC, following legislation that requires it, will administer and enforce the TV licence, just as the Post Office did for the first sixty years in the exact same way .

Slightly different though as Ofgem will be getting all energy companies to bring in standing charges (Eon have already done so) to keep the meter connected, so if you don't want to pay ANYTHING for what you're not using the only thing you can do is to ask them to disconnect the meter.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Slightly different though as Ofgem will be getting all energy companies to bring in standing charges (Eon have already done so) to keep the meter connected, so if you don't want to pay ANYTHING for what you're not using the only thing you can do is to ask them to disconnect the meter.

My point was that if you stop using gas they do not take your word for it, which seems to be the big complaint some people have about TVL. They complain that they do not watch TV but TVL will not take their word for it. I pointed out that if they stop using gas your supplier will not take your word for it. They will demand, and if needed force, entry to your home to check the meter and cap it if needed.
    That would be like TVL forcing entry to your home and fitting a cap on your aerial socket!

DVLA as well do not "take your word for it" if you stop using your car on the road. They require you to sign a legal document stating the car is not sued on road and have camera, and the police, tracking number plates to make sure. You can be fined for not completing a SORN! Even if you are not actually using the car on the road at all! Again, far more enforcement than TVL have.
  • HieronymousHieronymous Posts: 7,265
    Forum Member
    kidspud wrote: »
    I wish someone would do that and come back on here and tell us the terrible experience that they have had.....or maybe that isn't what happens!

I did. Well, I didn't exactly invite him in, he asked. I wasn't entirely happy about it but I thought it would put an end to the whole bloody nonsense.

I was wrong.

Nothing changed!! :mad:
  • HieronymousHieronymous Posts: 7,265
    Forum Member
    He is talking about evaders. I don't think anyone (except Irish TV guy) is claiming to be an evader on here.

No. He's talking about people who don't have a TV licence. Not everyone without a licence is an evader.

In fact, if TVL™'s own figures are to be believed, the majority are legally licence free.

Last I saw they said that nearly one in five people were found to need a TV licence.

i.e. Over four-fifths of people were telling the truth!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No. He's talking about people who don't have a TV licence. Not everyone without a licence is an evader.

In fact, if TVL™'s own figures are to be believed, the majority are legally licence free.

Last I saw they said that nearly one in five people were found to need a TV licence.

Customs stop a lot of people and search their luggage. Is their success rate as good as one in five?
  • kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I did. Well, I didn't exactly invite him in, he asked. I wasn't entirely happy about it but I thought it would put an end to the whole bloody nonsense.

I was wrong.

Nothing changed!! :mad:

So how terrible was the visit? Did they rummage through your undies?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Why would it make LLF people feel uncomfortable?
  • Steve_MiddllingSteve_Middlling Posts: 82
    Forum Member
    Why would it make LLF people feel uncomfortable?

It don't.......... it makes me angry:mad:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It don't.......... it makes me angry:mad:

Really. Wow:eek:
  • tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    If tvl are not happy that people dont have to let them in, then it is for them to get the goverment to change the law simple, people who dont allow tvl in are doing nothing wrong, And if they did come in and found no tv or no tv picking live signals up would that be the end
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tim59 wrote: »
    If tvl are not happy that people dont have to let them in, then it is for them to get the goverment to change the law simple, people who dont allow tvl in are doing nothing wrong, And if they did come in and found no tv or no tv picking live signals up would that be the end

What makes you think they are not happy. It is such a small issue, I can't imagine they care very much. As you rightly say, if they did, I expect they would have tried to do something about it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are one or two posters on this thread whose style of writing is very familiar.
    Forum Member
    DaveBTCC wrote: »
    There are one or two posters on this thread whose style of writing is very familiar.

After doing a little googling I have found suggestion that this forum is infested with stooges that are payed to bang on about "how good the bbc is"
    Forum Member
    What makes you think they are not happy. It is such a small issue, I can't imagine they care very much. As you rightly say, if they did, I expect they would have tried to do something about it.

But if i let them in no tv or no tv picking uo a live signal what has been proved
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But if i let them in no tv or no tv picking uo a live signal what has been proved

Not a lot. I'm not in favour of the current enforcement process (but I am I favour of the tv license). However, I also don't see what the big issue is. If they feel it satisfies their checks, then fine.

I definitely wouldn't be getting angry about it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    After doing a little googling I have found suggestion that this forum is infested with stooges that are payed to bang on about "how good the bbc is"

Yeah, it's funny. When I google my username it appears that I work for the BBC, however when I google my actual name it appears that I don't.

I think I know which one is more accurate.
    Forum Member
    He didn't, you're just making it up.

Really? Well I have the letter plus the cctv footage of him, looking in my windows and posting the damn thing........what do you want me to do? upload it to youtube and post a link here?
    Forum Member
    Not a lot. I'm not in favour of the current enforcement process (but I am I favour of the tv license). However, I also don't see what the big issue is. If they feel it satisfies their checks, then fine.

I definitely wouldn't be getting angry about it.

No i am not getting angry i am just trying to find out what has been proved. which things in the current enforcement process are you not happy with
  • dynamicsdynamics Posts: 905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

If you do a bit more you'll find that a number of banned members re-register under different names and pretended to be naive of the whole TV licencing subject. Their aim is to disrupt the forum and disseminate their anti BBC propaganda through contrived questions.

Some got banned again when they were dumb enough to discuss their deliberate disruption on TVLR forum and the mods checked their IP addresses.:D

;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No i am not getting angry i am just trying to find out what has been proved. which things in the current enforcement process are you not happy with

I think the letters are over aggressive.

I also do not think they have enough powers to enforce.

However, as I have stated several times, as technology moves on it will become irrelevant. Catching evaders will become easier and as it is such a small problem I don't think anyone is too worried.

Ultimately I think tvl will just be part of another tax (maybe council tax) and therefore this whole argument will be mute.