Options

Open University 2007

QuickfadeQuickfade Posts: 5,998
Forum Member
Anyone else starting an Open University course in February?

I'm doing a 60 pointer for the first time and am starting to panic at the hours per week I'll need to spend on it. We've just got this huge project at work and I know it'll mean a lot of late nights and early starts.

So far I've got 60 points through a 30 point and several 10 point short courses. They were enough work, believe me!!

Anyone else feeling like this at the thought of starting a course next year?

:cry:

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    how many points do you need for a degree? 120?

not doing an OU course, but I know how much effort my masters course is!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    how many points do you need for a degree? 120?

not doing an OU course, but I know how much effort my masters course is!
    360!! :eek:
  • Options
    lemonbunlemonbun Posts: 5,371
    Forum Member
    Quickfade wrote:

I'm doing a 60 pointer for the first time and am starting to panic at the hours per week I'll need to spend on it. We've just got this huge project at work and I know it'll mean a lot of late nights and early starts.

So far I've got 60 points through a 30 point and several 10 point short courses. They were enough work, believe me!!

I did a 60 point computer course with the OU when I was also working for a start-up company, often from 7 am to 10 pm. It was very hard work, but I managed to get 6 (out of 7) assignments with high marks. My tutor was very good at extending deadlines for me. Unfortunately, the job had to take absolute priority and I didn't do the final assignment or the exam (I had a work presentation with a major client that day). Luckily, I was doing the course for the knowledge rather than the qualification.
  • Options
    eunicelouise658eunicelouise658 Posts: 1,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quickfade wrote:

I am starting a 60 pointer in FEB it's a Health and Social care one, on Care, Welfare and Community. I have previously done a 30 pointer. I am fortunate enough to have computer access at work in the evenings when I am doing a late shift. How many TMAS are their in your course. I think I have 7. I think it is vital to plan study time and try to avoid putting things off.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quickfade wrote:
    360!! :eek:

ouch! still I suppose it's how it works in normal university, you have to do 360 credits for a bachelors, and 180 credits for a masters.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68
    Forum Member
    Just completed a BSc Life Sciences with the Open University. I really recomend that you study at least one residential school just to see what some of the tutors get up to! ;)
  • Options
    malaikahmalaikah Posts: 20,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just started a 30 pointer, first academic work for about fifteen years! :eek:

But, so far so good. First assignment nearly finished. :)
  • Options
    magnificentmagnificent Posts: 2,976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep I am. I'm doing the law W100 - 60points. Cant wait. Its something I've wanted to do but never did for whatever reason........Its a bit embarrassing because my own daughter is at uni doing law so im a proper mature student!! lol
  • Options
    Vite.dfeemtoonVite.dfeemtoon Posts: 5,397
    Forum Member
    My advice would be if you've got the study materials already to make a start and get ahead. The study calendars are useful, but on a course I did, I got the flu and got way behind. Try and get a week or two ahead and you'll be laughing.

Best of luck!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did 4 OU modules some years' ago. I've just been accepted to tutor with them for next year....yay!!!!! :)

I love the OU - very structured and fab up to date material.

Couldn't recommend the OU highly enough.
  • Options
    lemonbunlemonbun Posts: 5,371
    Forum Member
    One thing that pissed me off about the OU was the attitude of some students on the OU board - they complained about the slightest thing.

I'm a senior lecturer at one of the top group of universities and I know the teaching materials from the OU are far better than ours.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 128
    Forum Member
    I started studying with the OU in Feb 2005 and now have three courses under my belt; absolutely love it and starting a law course in February.

It depends on what level you are studying at as to how much time/energy you need to devote to the course but I echo the other's comments; if you get the materials early enough, start work. It pays to get a few weeks headstart in case something else crops up later on.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lemonbun wrote:
    One thing that pissed me off about the OU was the attitude of some students on the OU board - they complained about the slightest thing.

I'm a senior lecturer at one of the top group of universities and I know the teaching materials from the OU are far better than ours.

I'd agree; I've studied with 4 unviversities over the years (one would be considered in the top group) and the OU's materials were better in comparison - even down to the polish of the presentation.
  • Options
    eunicelouise658eunicelouise658 Posts: 1,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was about 3 years ago I last studied with the OU and oh boy, have the materials improved. It was good 3 years ago but now everything seems very well organised. I got my study materials last week and ordered my set book online which I am already reading through. I plan to do alot of pre reading before my start date just to get my study head on.
  • Options
    lauriebrettlauriebrett Posts: 108
    Forum Member
    i took a course in how to spit game and i graduated with honors and now i roll down the streets and people scream my name like it aint no thang.
  • Options
    malaikahmalaikah Posts: 20,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i took a course in how to spit game and i graduated with honors and now i roll down the streets and people scream my name like it aint no thang.
    :confused: What?
  • Options
    nethwennethwen Posts: 23,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    poobrain wrote: »
    Just completed a BSc Life Sciences with the Open University. I really recomend that you study at least one residential school just to see what some of the tutors get up to! ;)

I have and I know. :D Residential school is no longer compulsory...at least for my subject anyway. I went to Stirling Uni a number of years ago and I had a great time. :)

Are there any OU students still around? I know this thread is old now but I thought I'd resurrect it once more. It would be nice to chat with fellow OUers. :) I'm studying A200 this year and am hoping to achieve a history degree. I also should be doing a TMA right now but am here instead. I submitted my last assignment 12 minutes before the cut off time. :eek:
  • Options
    jojo01jojo01 Posts: 12,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've often thought about doing an OU course but have never got round to it, mainly because I can never make up my mind about which course to do!

I know you have to start with the basic courses (at least I think you do!) so could I do one or two of them before making up my mind which 'direction' I want to take?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The level 1 courses often are general introductionary courses to a whole discpline, for example A103 covers the whole sphere of "humanities" from history to art to literature, architecture et cetera. Therefore you can do that and then find the bit that interests you the most and pursue that to a higher level.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jojo01 wrote: »
    I've often thought about doing an OU course but have never got round to it, mainly because I can never make up my mind about which course to do!

I know you have to start with the basic courses (at least I think you do!) so could I do one or two of them before making up my mind which 'direction' I want to take?

OU courses are really worthwhile jojo. Like Chris said above A103 is one discipline you could go for. Are you interested in arts or science? Once you have an idea of the direction you'd like to follow there are a wide range of courses you could take. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nethwen wrote: »
    OU courses are really worthwhile jojo. Like Chris said above A103 is one discipline you could go for. Are you interested in arts or science? Once you have an idea of the direction you'd like to follow there are a wide range of courses you could take. :)

I'm probably more arty than scientific! Ad the course that Chis mentions does sound like it could be interesting.

In terms of me knowing what direction I want to follow, it could take some time....I'm 40 in a couple of months and still don't know what I want to do when I grow up! :D

Thanks for the info, I really must take some time to look into it properly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm probably more arty than scientific! Ad the course that Chis mentions does sound like it could be interesting.

In terms of me knowing what direction I want to follow, it could take some time....I'm 40 in a couple of months and still don't know what I want to do when I grow up! :D

I prefer the arts too. :) If you didn't want to concentrate on a specific subject you could do a Humanities degree where you could take various subjects. You could also do taster courses to begin with... they are usually 10 pointers. Also if you didn't want to do a degree you could go for a certificate or diploma.

Don't worry about age - I've returned to studying this year after taking a break for many years. :p

All the best in whatever you decide to do. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Best bet maybe is to call their course guidance advisers and they could discuss it with you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks both, I will set aside some time at the weekend to look into it properly :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ooh I forgot about this thread!

Well, 5 months in to the course now and still just about keeping up. Anyone else having a hard time with procrastination? My housemates always know when an assignment is due in as the house suddenly gets very very clean! :o