Topfield 5800t "blue light" does this machine use up Alot of Electricity ?

Manic MinerManic Miner Posts: 1,316
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Okay I got my 5800t and at first did not like it very much compared to my hummy (no" movie "search ?!!) even with mystuff and was going to return it. However have got to
like it more now (Usb) but one query I have is about it's energy use.

My model has a permanent blue light large when on, minimised but still very much on when in standby and am a bit concerned this machine will be costly when my electric bill comes in, especially in comparison to the hummy. Am I right to be concerned?

Comments

• grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Okay I got my 5800t and at first did not like it very much compared to my hummy (no" movie "search ?!!) even with mystuff and was going to return it. However have got to
    like it more now (Usb) but one query I have is about it's energy use.

My model has a permanent blue light large when on, minimised but still very much on when in standby and am a bit concerned this machine will be costly when my electric bill comes in, especially in comparison to the hummy. Am I right to be concerned?

A blue led takes about 10mA at 5V so consumes about about 0.05W. Left on for 24H/day for 12 months that less than 0.5units (so say about 7P). The light is not significant but the electronics are a different matter the sby power consumtion of a 9200 is about 11W compared to the 5800's 14W. If the two were left on sby for 16H/day for 12months the Toppy will use about 17 units/annum more than a 9200 so will cost about £2.38 extra to run.

THe latest pvrs though including the Humax 9150, 9300 and the Freesat Foxsat-hdr consume less than 1W in sby
  • radioredcatradioredcat Posts: 1,943
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bought my toppy last year and i have not noticed any rise in electricity consumption.

I have noticed a rise since getting a LCD tv 170W last month to replace my old CRT set 60W.

ANDY
  • Manic MinerManic Miner Posts: 1,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A blue led takes about 10mA at 5V so consumes about about 0.05W. Left on for 24H/day for 12 months that less than 0.5units (so say about 7P). The light is not significant but the electronics are a different matter the sby power consumtion of a 9200 is about 11W compared to the 5800's 14W. If the two were left on sby for 16H/day for 12months the Toppy will use about 17 units/annum more than a 9200 so will cost about £2.38 extra to run.

THe latest pvrs though including the Humax 9150, 9300 and the Freesat Foxsat-hdr consume less than 1W in sby

Thanks Graham just what I wanted to know. Thats not too bad is it The Hummy I have is a 9300 so going by your calculations I suppose the Toppy is approx £10 a year extra to run (going by your conditions, again very roughly)

:cool:
  • russellellyrussellelly Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Remember that the Toppy\s power consumption will vary a lot on firmware version. The TF5800PVRt will come with a Freeview+ firmware which never goes into 'proper' standby (since it's always waiting for an 'accurate record' signal). Thankfully, you can easily change to the more stable and less power-hungry version by using the latest Toppy.org.uk Recommended Firmware.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,611
    Forum Member
    Isn't there a TAP that reduces the brightness of the blue light? Or am I confusing that with something else?
  • grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks Graham just what I wanted to know. Thats not too bad is it The Hummy I have is a 9300 so going by your calculations I suppose the Toppy is approx £10 a year extra to run (going by your conditions, again very roughly)

:cool:

9300 using 0.75W 16H/day for 12 months = 4 units about 56p

5800 using 11W 16H/day for 12 months = 64 units about
    = £9.60

So about £9.00 a year if your unit cost is 14p
    Forum Member
    How do the sums change if you use the recommened firrmware (13.65T) with proper standby?
  • wgmorgwgmorg Posts: 5,020
    Forum Member
    An individual's saving is unimportant ... ;)

It's the total saving that everyone contributes to that's important ... :)
    gomezz wrote: »
    How do the sums change if you use the recommened firrmware (13.65T) with proper standby?
    Forum Member
    wgmorg wrote: »
    An
    It
    individual's
    is
    saving
    to
    is
    the
    unimportant ... ;)
    individual.
  • Manic MinerManic Miner Posts: 1,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    9300 using 0.75W 16H/day for 12 months = 4 units about 56p

5800 using 11W 16H/day for 12 months = 64 units about
    = £9.60

So about £9.00 a year if your unit cost is 14p

I was close

The Government should give OAPs Hummys
    Forum Member
    But then the old dears would have to spend extra on their heating. ;)