Thunderbirds are Go

methyl_propylmethyl_propyl Posts: 117
Forum Member
The second half of the first series of the CGI resurrection of the "Thunderbirds" puppet series called "Thunderbiirds are Go" was aired on CITV and ITV on Saturday morning 30 October 2015 after 4-months unexplained break. The program is repeated several times during the week and on catch-up TV.

This series is proving to be equal to the original puppet series and I surmise that the CGI guys put in as much effort as the original puppeteers.

The recent 90-minute documentary "Filmed in Supermarionation" showed how hard the original team worked.

As a diehard Thunderbirds fan I am looking forward to next Saturday.

Am I alone in wondering why this program is not given a peak-viewing slot? It is good and has a multi-generation viewing audience.

Wikipedia article:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thunderbirds_Are_Go_%28TV_series%29

Comments

• rmc57rmc57 Posts: 876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The second half of the first series of the CGI resurrection of the "Thunderbirds" puppet series called "Thunderbiirds are Go" was aired on CITV and ITV on Saturday morning 30 October 2015 after 4-months unexplained break. The program is repeated several times during the week and on catch-up TV.

This series is proving to be equal to the original puppet series and I surmise that the CGI guys put in as much effort as the original puppeteers.

The recent 90-minute documentary "Filmed in Supermarionation" showed how hard the original team worked.

As a diehard Thunderbirds fan I am looking forward to next Saturday.

Am I alone in wondering why this program is not given a peak-viewing slot? It is good and has a multi-generation viewing audience.

Wikipedia article:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thunderbirds_Are_Go_%28TV_series%29

It's certainly not a disaster area and is aimed at a very different audience, but equal?

NO!

The characterisation is wafer thin, the air of suspense destroyed by the lack of a genuine sense of peril. Any problems are too easily overcome. Most importantly it is lacking in wit and charm. These things are superfluous to the 2015 market and I suspect for that current market the show's impact is much reduced. It's a load of overconfident characters making things happen far too easily. I'm sure for many it's just another series of pieces of CGI action, and probably don't even register the name.

For me, and I suspect many others the original fired imagination. To me at the age of 8 it was the most important thing on TV. I'd be fascinated to know how many of the current audience feel the same. It's just a modern ITV - a commodity with little artistic aim or merit.

The CGI makes it watchable and I welcome seeing new Thunderbirds stories but is it equal?

For God's sake NO!
  • methyl_propylmethyl_propyl Posts: 117
    Forum Member
    The characterisation is wafer thin, the air of suspense destroyed by the lack of a genuine sense of peril. Any problems are too easily overcome.

I disagree. Very impressed with the script quality of the new series and the unpredictable nature of the rescues.

I have every definitive work on the original series and await the publication of similar material for the new series in a couple of years time.

Some of the current memorabilia/collectables are high priced tat. Nothing changes.
  • methyl_propylmethyl_propyl Posts: 117
    Forum Member
    The "Search" feature of this forum is a bit hit or miss.
    Balthus started a thread months ago while the CGI series was in its infancy. I am not the first to notice that the CGI series has just restarted.
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2061953&page=23