Options

Progressive rock appreciation thread

Comments

• Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by Pirate
    I used to listen to a Welsh group Caravan who made a stonkn "concept" album - In the Land of the Grey and Pink.

Caravan are one of the many groups to come out of the 1960s Canterbury scene, not at all Welsh as far as I know. They're still going and still play stuff from In the Land of Grey and Pink live.

One of my favourite 'prog' bands was another Canterbury-related outfit, Gong. Completely beyond categorisation with jazzy noodling and unfathomable time-signatures, synth textures, lyrics about pot-head pixies and "Have a cuppa tea have another one have a cuppa tea..." (repeat as required).

I was amazed to hear one of their tracks - a sort of Japanese flute meditation - used as the loop behind a rap track ("Oochie Wally" by QB's Finest) a few years ago.
  • Options
    Megson1965Megson1965 Posts: 928
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nice thread :) Good to see that Prog Rock is alive and well. A lot of groups mentioned so far and a few surprises too - nice to see that Opeth's Damnation gets a mention; more symphonic than progressive with all those delicious swathes of mellotron. Porcupine Tree too - everyone should own a copy of The Sky Moves Sideways and Signify. Classic albums. The Sky Moves Sideways is like a cross between Pink Floyd and The Ozric Tentacles; it's got to be heard to be believed.

All the old classics have had a mention - Yes, Genesis, ELP, King Crimson, Caravan; have we heard from Camel? If not, they deserve a mention too. Andy Latimer's guitar just sings and the late great Pete Bardens' organ work - well, excuse the sad pun which was not intended, but it is fabulous to behold. May he RIP.

I guess that the likes of Marillion, Pendragon and IQ all qualify as old stagers now too - they all have at least 20 years on the clock. Hard to believe, but it's true.

What about some of the more recent groups. Dream Theater have been mentioned - Falling Into Infinity is not their worst album (or least best ;) ) - I'm afraid that When Dream and Day Unite gets that dubious title. If you don't believe me, just check out their first album. Transatlantic also get a mention, even though they are no more. Here are some that deserve a mention and true proggies will know why - if you don't, you'd better start listening soon. What about The Flower Kings, Spock's Beard, Pineapple Thief, Vulgar Unicorn, The Ozric Tentacles (Ok - I mentioned them earlier), Karnataka, Mostly Autumn and Glass Hammer? That's just the tip of the iceberg for now, but have others heard any of this wonderful stuff?

Also, into the mainstream - Radiohead and Muse both push the envelope (one can do a pretty good Floyd from time to time and the other is Queen#2 I'm sure :cool: ) - arguably more progressive than other progressive (genre rather than style) and symphonic groups. And where does Post Rock come into all this? Godspeed You Black Emperor and Sigur Ros - are they not progressive? The question is not rhetorical, I really don't know. They seem to be labled Post Rock but they sound pretty progressive to me.

Cheers to everyone and thanks for this debate - it brings back a lot of nice memories and is a fair indication that Prog is alive and kicking!

Mart
  • Options
    Nate SeinfeldNate Seinfeld Posts: 2,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm only 18, but like most people with a good feel for rock music, I am a huge fan of Pink Floyd, Genesis and Yes.

I'm listening to Roundabout as I type this!

Shine On You Crazy Diamond is the best prog song of all time.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great post Megson1965 :) I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only person on here who's heard of Opeth! Are you familiar with any of their heavier stuff at all (there's still some great prog influences in there, particularly on Still Life IMO)?
    Re: Dream Theater, Falling... is certainly not a bad album, just not the one I appreciate the most! ;) I've never heard When Dream and Day Unite, would like to hear once just for completisms sake but have heard very bad reports of it before...
    I forgot to mention the Ozrics... I only own two of their many albums, but like them both very much :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by Nate Seinfeld
    I am a huge fan of Pink Floyd, Genesis and Yes.

They are all examples of prog bands that eventually did poppier material as well. Is it the poppier or more progressive stuff that you prefer? For instance do you mean Phil Collins or Peter Gabriel Genesis? Or both?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Originally posted by binty
    Great post Megson1965 :) I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only person on here who's heard of Opeth! Are you familiar with any of their heavier stuff at all (there's still some great prog influences in there, particularly on Still Life IMO)?
    Re: Dream Theater, Falling... is certainly not a bad album, just not the one I appreciate the most! ;) I've never heard When Dream and Day Unite, would like to hear once just for completisms sake but have heard very bad reports of it before...
    I forgot to mention the Ozrics... I only own two of their many albums, but like them both very much :)

Hi there Binty :) - Yes, over the last few months I've familiarised myself with the last four Opeth albums, Still Life, Blackwater Park, Deliverance and Damnation. I agree with you regarding Still Life - this was the first Opeth album I got into big-time. The first track, The Moor, has everything from Death Metal, through prog rock to mellow acoustic. The album is a masterpiece - the range is awesome and Face of Melinda is arguably the best thing they've done. Crikey, I could write a chapter on each track - but I won't for fear of being recognised as a true anorak. I haven't even started on Blackwater Park yet :D .

As for Dream Theater - I think the criticism of When Dream and Day Unite is justified and largely down to misdirected raw talent and poor production. Unfortunately, I bought it shortly after release simply on the fact that the word 'prog' was mentioned in a review. Q magazine gave it 1 star (justified) and I might have been forgiven for being put off Dream Theater for life. Thankfully I wasn't as their second outing was poles apart from their debut - Images and Words is a true classic and firmly set their direction for the future.

Just a quick mention on the latest Dream Theater album - Train of Thought. Anyone expecting another Metropolis Part 2 or 6DOIT will be disappointed. They have gone far heavier - just as clever in my opinion, but it is a change of direction whichever way one looks at it. Personally I like it and for anyone that loves the opener from 6DOIT, The Glass Prison, you're gonna love it!

I love the Ozrics - seen them live a few times too. Great fun to watch on stage. I have all their albums. Some argue that one only needs to buy one Ozrics album as they all sound the same. Take no notice - these people don't truly listen to song structure and development of each track. The Ozrics have their own style like any other group; what I like about them is the way they use a myriad of world music influences and mix it with their modern take on Hawkwind(ish) space rock and prog. I simply love the way they sometimes 'get into a groove' - infectious beats and rhythms - it's impossible to sit still and listen :D .

Cheers,

Mart
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Originally posted by Megson1965
    Hi there Binty :) - Yes, over the last few months I've familiarised myself with the last four Opeth albums, Still Life, Blackwater Park, Deliverance and Damnation. I agree with you regarding Still Life - this was the first Opeth album I got into big-time. The first track, The Moor, has everything from Death Metal, through prog rock to mellow acoustic. The album is a masterpiece - the range is awesome and Face of Melinda is arguably the best thing they've done. Crikey, I could write a chapter on each track - but I won't for fear of being recognised as a true anorak. I haven't even started on Blackwater Park yet :D .

Just a quick mention on the latest Dream Theater album - Train of Thought. Anyone expecting another Metropolis Part 2 or 6DOIT will be disappointed. They have gone far heavier - just as clever in my opinion, but it is a change of direction whichever way one looks at it. Personally I like it and for anyone that loves the opener from 6DOIT, The Glass Prison, you're gonna love it!

Blackwater Park is awsome.... one of my favourite albums ever probably. It was the first Opeth album I bought and I've never looked back since. I was lucky enough to see 'em live last year and would recommend it to anyone...they are a stunning live band. If you've not got them, I would also recommend My Arms, Your Hearse and Morningrise.
    Cheers for the info on the new DT album, I've not been able to buy it yet but had heard that the direction was far heavier... more akin to Awake than anything else... would you say this is a fair comparison? The heavier angle certainly doesn't bother me: my taste is pretty diverse but generally quite heavy (Death/Doom/Stoner/Hardcore, etc)....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes - in terms of all their previous albums, Awake comes closest to Train of Thought. Train of Thought is undoubtedly heavier though with less emphasis on prog. It perhaps could be better compared to the more challenging Metallica material. I'd be interested to hear what others think :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I will be buying Train of Thought on pay day (friday) will post my thoughts when I've had a proper listen :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I will be buying Train of Thought on pay day (friday) will post my thoughts when I've had a proper listen :)

Great stuff - I look forward to reading what you think of it. It's certainly encouraged a lot of debate in other forums - DPRP.net is a fab site for prog rock reviews, news and forums and if you take a peak there, you'll see that Train of Thought even has the reviewers rubbing chins and scratching heads!

In terms of great prog material currently doing the rounds, the Glass Hammer web site is worth a visit as they've got a few free MP3s available for download (including a whole 9 minute track from their latest album).

Cheers,

Mart
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just had a look at the review on DPRP.net and have got to say that I'm a bit concerned about the review drawing comparisons with nu metal/metallica post-And Justice for All... say it ain't so!
    Although how anyone can mention Lars Ulrich and Mike Portnoy in the same review is beyond me! One's possibly the best drummer around today, the other is....erm..... :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just had a look at the review on DPRP.net and have got to say that I'm a bit concerned about the review drawing comparisons with nu metal/metallica post-And Justice for All... say it ain't so!
    Although how anyone can mention Lars Ulrich and Mike Portnoy in the same review is beyond me! One's possibly the best drummer around today, the other is....erm..... :D

Personally, I don't think so. I can understand the comparisons from a 'heavy' perspective, but I simply think that the reviewers were caught off guard and taken by surprise. They were expecting another Metropolis and instead, got a heavy, less progressive album. For me, the playing remains exemplary and for someone who had no expectations other than a new Dream Theater album, I love it. It's as we've mentioned before; reviewers comments are simply that. The thoughts and opinions of one person. When it comes to music taste and opinion, it's very difficult to be anything other than subjective. What I would suggest is that you perhaps sample the CD at a listening post in a High Street store prior to buying if you're unsure, then, if you do decide to buy, I'd check out all the discount online CD sites (Play, CDwow and Splash) first for the best deal.

PS Portnoy is the finest drummer around.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nah, I'm pretty sure I'll like it! A reviewer's opinion is just that - I was a bit surprised thats all! There's heavy and there's heavy..and some kinds of heavy ain't my cup of tea... nu metal being a case in point. I have every confidence that I will love it and have certainly got no objections to the band moving forward and trying new directions :) I'll still be buying on friday, my mind's not been changed one bit :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nah, I'm pretty sure I'll like it! A reviewer's opinion is just that - I was a bit surprised thats all! There's heavy and there's heavy..and some kinds of heavy ain't my cup of tea... nu metal being a case in point. I have every confidence that I will love it and have certainly got no objections to the band moving forward and trying new directions :) I'll still be buying on friday, my mind's not been changed my mind one bit :D

I just happen to be listening to As I Am from this album at the moment and one couldn't get further from Nu-metal :D . It's a great track and I'm simply enjoying the album more and more as I'm listening to it whilst surfing and debating on this site!
  • Options
    SlaneSlane Posts: 1,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here's news of an interesting programme showing tomorrow night on BBC3. It was sent to me by the Steve Hackett news site. Although it says "UK only" it will of course be available to NTL digital subscribers in Ireland too.

"Steve recently participated in a BBC documentary taking a fresh look at the 'progressive' phenomenon - 'Prog Rock: Time Shift'. We've just discovered that it will be broadcast (in the UK only I'm afraid - apologies to our overseas subscribers!) on Monday 19th January at 10pm (and then 12.30am) on BBC Four (Satellite, Cable & Digital/Freeview)."
  • Options
    devo livedevo live Posts: 729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved the first DT album when it came out. I'd say give it a try binty. Yes, the production is poor (but then again, a lot of 'metal' from the 80s sounds poorly produced today). And yes the vocals may not be everyone's cup of tea. But there are some great tracks on there. The Ytse Jam still kicks today. Though it is very much an album of it's time.

And let's face it, I wouldn't have thought the target demographic for Q magazine would be 80s prog metal. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh, and go check out 30 Seconds to Mars. Not pure prog, but commercial rock with prog elements. Capricorn is a good track to start off with.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Originally posted by devo live
    Oh, and go check out 30 Seconds to Mars. Not pure prog, but commercial rock with prog elements. Capricorn is a good track to start off with.

Never heard of 30 Seconds to Mars but I'm willing to give it a try. I love the discovery of new music (new to me that is :) ) so thanks for the tip.

As for your previous post, you're absolutely right about Q magazine ;) . Classic Rock magazine seems to have plugged the metal/prog gap very nicely for now. Mind you, I bought When Dream and Day Unite, irrespective of the Q review and was still somewhat disappointed by it. When compared to 'Pull Me Under' and 'Take the Time' from Images and Words, it simply doesn't compare. I would save my money and purchase one of the many greater albums around at the moment - making the assumption of course that no-one has got both the money to buy and/or the time to listen to absolutely everything ;) . Shadow Gallery, Magellan, Glass Hammer, Spock's Beard, The Flower Kings and Transatlantic albums are all worthy of purchase prior to Dream Theater's debut release, in my honest opinion. Of course, if you have all of these already, go for it :D .

Cheers,

Mart

PS Recommended albums of aforementioned groups:

Tyranny - Shadow Gallery
    Impending Ascension - Magellan
    SMPTe - Transatlantic
    Lex Rex - Glass Hammer
    Day for Night - Spock's Beard
    Back in the World of Adventures - The Flower Kings
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I bought the first (I think) Shadow Gallery album when it came out, and loved that too. And for the life of me, I can't remember what it's called (eponymous maybe?), without checking. I must dig that out and take a listen. If I still has the same effect, I might check out Tyranny as well. I can't really remember why I never did buy anything else by them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Cheers, will check them out :)
    I think When Dream and Day Unite will have to wait, I need Train of Thought first... and many other cds :D There's always something that needs buying, I have a list as long as both arms!

Re: magazines... You might be surprised, but Dream Theater seem to generally get pretty good reviews in the metal press, despite not being one of the heavier bands in existance. I even remember Kerrang giving Marillion a (derserved) cracking review for Brave many years ago.... ;) Although Kerrang is about as useful as Smash Hits these days... :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I bought the first (I think) Shadow Gallery album when it came out, and loved that too. And for the life of me, I can't remember what it's called (eponymous maybe?), without checking. I must dig that out and take a listen. If I still has the same effect, I might check out Tyranny as well. I can't really remember why I never did buy anything else by them.

Probably, like me, you're spoiled for choice if you love music. I simply can't afford to get everything :cry: LOL
  • Options
    barkingboybarkingboy Posts: 325
    Forum Member
    I don't think anyone mentioned it, but there were two interesting programmes on BBC4 last night about Prog Rock - one of which has definitely been on before (rock family trees).

Anyway they were very interesting and are repeated on Wednesday night.

The Rock Family Trees programme focused mainly on "Yes" and "ELP" including interviews with most of the band members.

I hope BBC4 show more the of "Rock Family Trees" series as they were very good when first shown about 5 or so years back.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Originally posted by barkingboy
    I don't think anyone mentioned it, but there were two interesting programmes on BBC4 last night about Prog Rock - one of which has definitely been on before (rock family trees).

Anyway they were very interesting and are repeated on Wednesday night.

The Rock Family Trees programme focused mainly on "Yes" and "ELP" including interviews with most of the band members.

I hope BBC4 show more the of "Rock Family Trees" series as they were very good when first shown about 5 or so years back.

Yes I saw both programmes. Thankfully, someone on these boards pointed them out at the weekend, otherwise I would have missed them (does anyone else find that the more channels there are to choose from, the more chance there is of missing the programmes they would enjoy). Like you, I had seen the Rock Family Trees before, but the Time Shift programme was new and I thought, presented a very balanced perspective of the Prog rock genre.

Funnily enough, talking of the conflict between Prog and Punk, I went to the Canterbury Rock Festival in 2002. What was particularly special about this 3-day gig, was the fact that predominantly, the acts on stage were progressive/Canterbury acts both old and new. Fish, ex-members of King Crimson (21st Century Schizoid Band), Jack Bruce, Arthur Brown, Pretty Things, Ozric Tentacles, Mostly Autumn, Kevin Ayres, Electric Prunes, Man and Karnataka were just some of the acts. But, surprisingly, on the third night, the evening was headlined by The Stranglers with The Damned supporting them. Both played great sets, far removed from their earlier punk days. An acknowledgement no doubt, that they too are now dinosaurs as opposed to anti-establishment and angry youth! More importantly, they were playing to a crowd made up of punks and hippies 20 - 30 years older, wiser and more accepting of each other :) . All in all, a fabulous gig.
  • Options
    metafismetafis Posts: 11,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw that!. very enjoyable programs!.
    In fact they showed a clip of an ELP concert (brain salad surgery time' that I went to!. lol.... I tape recorded it. Alan Freeman introduced them, we used to wear those huge army greatcoats that were good for concealing your cassette recorder:).

Pink Floyd at at the crystal palace bowl and later at Earls court(early seventies), incredible concerts, just awesome.
    many other bands I saw as well, Yes, king crimson, Genisis, Arthur browns 'Kingdom come'..(ever wonder where spinal tap got the idea from to have the band members encased in a persplex shell?...good old Arthur, at a concert one day(chalk farm roundhouse), had a persplex syringe, that he was going to inject himself out of, only it stuck, and a roadie had to come to praise it open).
    All great and very entertaining concerts, a real spectacle :)
    There always seemd to be this guy called 'Jesus' at these concerts in the seventies, (Called jesus cos he wore, err jesus type clothes'). He became a bit of a legend in his own lunchtime, it got to be that almost every concert we went to he was there!. Even small gigs like 'The Marquee' spooky!:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Originally posted by metafis
    I saw that!. very enjoyable programs!.
    In fact they showed a clip of an ELP concert (brain salad surgery time' that I went to!. lol.... I tape recorded it. Alan Freeman introduced them, we used to wear those huge army greatcoats that were good for concealing your cassette recorder:).

Pink Floyd at at the crystal palace bowl and later at Earls court(early seventies), incredible concerts, just awesome.
    many other bands I saw as well, Yes, king crimson, Genisis, Arthur browns 'Kingdom come'..(ever wonder where spinal tap got the idea from to have the band members encased in a persplex shell?...good old Arthur, at a concert one day(chalk farm roundhouse), had a persplex syringe, that he was going to inject himself out of, only it stuck, and a roadie had to come to praise it open).
    All great and very entertaining concerts, a real spectacle :)
    There always seemd to be this guy called 'Jesus' at these concerts in the seventies, (Called jesus cos he wore, err jesus type clothes'). He became a bit of a legend in his own lunchtime, it got to be that almost every concert we went to he was there!. Even small gigs like 'The Marquee' spooky!:)

Thanks for sharing your memories. I wonder if Jesus is still around??! I sense there is going to be an accepted rebirth of Progressive music in general quite soon. It won't happen overnight but will gradually evolve as more and more mainstream acts attempt to push the envelope a bit further. It won't be the retro/copyist or neo prog bands that gain the approval of the press and media as it's all been done before. Don't get me wrong, I love all that stuff but it isn't quite progressive enough in the true sense of the word. Mansun came close a few years back with the album 'Six' - I guess the timing wasn't quite right and it was too great a leap from their debut 'Attack of the Grey Lantern'. Radiohead and Muse are two of the mainstream leaders now (both fabulously talented groups and completely different) - I am also waiting to take delivery of Mars Volta's 'De-Loused in the Comatorium' - I have read so many rave reviews of this album that I have the faith to order it without having heard a note! There's a lot happening in the metal scene too with Opeth, a predominantly death metal outfit, releasing a beautiful, symphonic masterpiece 'Damnation' aided by the production, singing and playing of Porcupine Tree's and No-Man's Steve Wilson. Anathema too lean more toward Pink Floyd than they do Paradise Lost - their latest album ' Natural Disaster' is beautifully melancholic, thought provoking and reflective.

Music is evolving and at quite a rate at the moment. Keep looking outside of the singles charts for the best of the action. True progressive music often needs more than a 3-minute single to sell itself. Radiohead have enough credibility to get away with it - I don't know of many other bands that would have got the airplay that Yorke and company received for Paranoid Android. Fair play to all concerned - there is a God after all and a future for music. But, who would have wanted to miss out on OK Computer? Paranoid Android is great and truly rocks. No Surprises is simply beautiful. But the album as a whole is greater than the sum of it's individual parts and that's what truly great progressive music is all about. This is where the true genius, true musicianship and total excitement lies.

Be happy and keep smiling :D .