Options

Going on a "spoiler" diet. (STRICTLY SPOILER FREE)

Comments

• Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It suggests a likely direction - but nothing's certain where Moffat's concerned. Like I've said before, he's a tricky bleeder (and I love him for it :))

very true:), i just feel a bit peeved with myself because i looked at it because it was an official bbc release so i thought it would be okay....:(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never take the tripe I read on the internet seriously, so if somebody says something like "the Doctor and Amy are the secret lovechilds of Rory and River and the Ood are all clones of his half-brother" I don't take it seriously.

In watching the latest episode it was pretty obvious to me what was going on as soon as it happened--the scene where something Tardisy is transferred to Idris and she comes to life is quite clear.

Had I heard of the concept that the TARDIS could be human-like? Yes, and I even visited the Wikipedia page on the TARDIS and then changed my "Services" profile to "Type 102 time capsule", a reference to a form of TARDIS that can take humanoid form, which appears in a spin-off novel.

But I don't think my fun was spoiled. In fact I was delighted to find that the rumour was true.

My wife, on the other hand, is so averse to spoilers that she will not watch the teasers that are broadcast during the closing episode credits on BBC.

Why do I not care so much about spoilers? Let me try to explain.

I don't watch Doctor Who to find out what happens. I know it's all fictional, they're lying to me. And that's okay. I expect to be lied to in fiction, it's pretty much the point of fiction. There is no Doctor, there is no Amy. There is no junk yard in 1963. There are no daleks, there are no cybermen.

I don't believe in Time Lords either. Doctor Who is your amazingly clever and slightly geeky uncle.

So why do I still watch this show that I first watched with my long-dead father over 47 years ago? Because of the TARDIS, certainly. Because of the memory of that moment when as a small child I sat with a beloved parent and saw people enter a small blue box to be changed.

I admire this as a bit of storytelling. The important thing about a good story is not what happens (the three bears come home, the Princess learns true love and the little tree sings again), it's how you get there.

I know what happens. Doctor Who (hello kids that's what I've called him for most of my life, before regeneration, before the Time Lords) will be there for us, throughout space and time. Doctor Who and hisTARDIS will turn up in the fictional interstices of major events.

And that's fun to do. It's fun to see what an actor will make of a role. It's fun to see how a situation will be resolved. But honestly if somebody tells you that at some point Amy will, to save the universe, be forced to stuff a large melon up the Doctor's nose, would you treat that as a spoiler or would you say it sounds silly?

SPOILERS!
  • Options
    DoctorQuiDoctorQui Posts: 6,428
    Forum Member
    I never take the tripe I read on the internet seriously, so if somebody says something like "the Doctor and Amy are the secret lovechilds of Rory and River and the Ood are all clones of his half-brother" I don't take it seriously.

In watching the latest episode it was pretty obvious to me what was going on as soon as it happened--the scene where something Tardisy is transferred to Idris and she comes to life is quite clear.

Had I heard of the concept that the TARDIS could be human-like? Yes, and I even visited the Wikipedia page on the TARDIS and then changed my "Services" profile to "Type 102 time capsule", a reference to a form of TARDIS that can take humanoid form, which appears in a spin-off novel.

But I don't think my fun was spoiled. In fact I was delighted to find that the rumour was true.

My wife, on the other hand, is so averse to spoilers that she will not watch the teasers that are broadcast during the closing episode credits on BBC.

Why do I not care so much about spoilers? Let me try to explain.

I don't watch Doctor Who to find out what happens. I know it's all fictional, they're lying to me. And that's okay. I expect to be lied to in fiction, it's pretty much the point of fiction. There is no Doctor, there is no Amy. There is no junk yard in 1963. There are no daleks, there are no cybermen.

I don't believe in Time Lords either. Doctor Who is your amazingly clever and slightly geeky uncle.

So why do I still watch this show that I first watched with my long-dead father over 47 years ago? Because of the TARDIS, certainly. Because of the memory of that moment when as a small child I sat with a beloved parent and saw people enter a small blue box to be changed.

I admire this as a bit of storytelling. The important thing about a good story is not what happens (the three bears come home, the Princess learns true love and the little tree sings again), it's how you get there.

I know what happens. Doctor Who (hello kids that's what I've called him for most of my life, before regeneration, before the Time Lords) will be there for us, throughout space and time. Doctor Who and hisTARDIS will turn up in the fictional interstices of major events.

And that's fun to do. It's fun to see what an actor will make of a role. It's fun to see how a situation will be resolved. But honestly if somebody tells you that at some point Amy will, to save the universe, be forced to stuff a large melon up the Doctor's nose, would you treat that as a spoiler or would you say it sounds silly?

SPOILERS!

I enjoyed reading that:)

You are right, there are mostly daft "spoilers" around and like most people, I have indulged in them from time to time. However, many of the theories now being banded about are from knowledgable people and are quite plausible outcomes to a wonderful story in which anything can happen, it doesn't always mean a happy ending.
  • Options
    PaparazzoPaparazzo Posts: 6,155
    Forum Member
    I've gone into this episode almost spoilre-free! :)
  • Options
    MinkytheDogMinkytheDog Posts: 5,658
    Forum Member
    "the Doctor and Amy are the secret lovechilds of Rory and River and the Ood are all clones of his half-brother"

Too late - there's already been twelve threads suggesting that ending.

It does get a bit LIfe of Brian at times...

"Follow the gourd"

"No! - The sandal is the sign"

"Blasphemer!!!
    "
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm still finding it hard to resist spoilers. I am tempted to read the preview thread. And to read the press release in spite of Muttley's kindly warning. But I won't.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm still finding it hard to resist spoilers. I am tempted to read the preview thread. And to read the press release in spite of Muttley's kindly warning. But I won't.

Don't break G'Mac, you'll only regret it.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Don't do it.

I'll plant some clues throughout the forum - BBC style - to make it more fun.

If you check any Doctor who threads, the truth is will be in one that's been going a year or less.
  • Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    a word of warning: there are apparently some fairly major spoilers about tonights episode in some of the papers today!
  • Options
    Lady of TrakenLady of Traken Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well its been a little tough but ive got through the week without reading any spoilers. Was tempted to read the press release for a" Good man goes to War" but opted to eat a doughnut instead! Thanks for the tips on the papers :-) will avoid until 6.45pm
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    a word of warning: there are apparently some fairly major spoilers about tonights episode in some of the papers today!

Cheers for the tip off Muttley
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well its been a little tough but ive got through the week without reading any spoilers. Was tempted to read the press release for a" Good man goes to War" but opted to eat a doughnut instead! Thanks for the tips on the papers :-) will avoid until 6.45pm

I think we can pat ourselves on the back Lady T, I also have resisted this week.
  • Options
    Lady of TrakenLady of Traken Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DoctorQui wrote: »
    I think we can pat ourselves on the back Lady T, I also have resisted this week.
    Well done to you too D Q - its NOT easy to resist :-) im excited though its another new episode tonight hurray !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've managed to resist, too. Can I have a pat on the back as well? :)
  • Options
    nebogipfelnebogipfel Posts: 8,375
    Forum Member

*gives Granny hearty pat on the back. Stoops to retrieve gnashers from floor and gives them back.*

I'm almost completely spoiler free too. "Next Time" trailer and that was it. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No - but you can have an extra cake tomorrow.
  • Options
    outsideoutside Posts: 5,610
    Forum Member
    nebogipfel wrote: »
    *gives Granny hearty pat on the back. Stoops to retrieve gnashers from floor and gives them back.*

*snigger*

:)
  • Options
    Forum Member

Of course you can *pats G'Mac on the back*, this spoiler avoidance is seriously hard work.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Do not click the link in the "complaints about moffat" thread . Thanks to minky for the warming.

Edit : i meant warning. minky has not yet been quite that kind.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    outside wrote: »
    *snigger*

*awaits retribution*
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You forgot to pick up my glass eye! :mad:
    outside wrote: »
    *snigger*

:p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Do not click the link in the "complaints about moffat" thread . Thanks to minky for the warming.

Edit : i meant warning. minky has not yet been quite that kind.

Oops, were there spoilers. I just got the feel of the thread and left a post, didn't read the detail:o
  • Options
    UrMyStarUrMyStar Posts: 1,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I knew nothing about tonight's episode until I opened up the sun today :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    UrMyStar wrote: »
    I knew nothing about tonight's episode until I opened up the sun today :(

Thanks to Muttley I never made that mistake...not that I read the Sun of course:p
  • Options
    UrMyStarUrMyStar Posts: 1,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DoctorQui wrote: »
    Thanks to Muttley I never made that mistake...not that I read the Sun of course:p

Was sooooo gutted. My own fault in a way but wasn't expecting it.