Options

Possible One Plan SIM-only price drop

Comments

• Options
    Step666Step666 Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    enapace wrote: »
    The problem is the backhaul would probably not survive if they did something like that.
    They don't have the backhaul to offer 50GB for £20 but they have adequate backhaul to offer unlimited for £25?

Not sure I follow your reasoning there.
  • Options
    enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Step666 wrote: »
    They don't have the backhaul to offer 50GB for £20 but they have adequate backhaul to offer unlimited for £25?

Not sure I follow your reasoning there.

It's because it slightly different most people who have unlimited probably use 1-3GB a month. I agree there probably is some people who use 70-100GB a month on it but they are a minority. If they market it as mobile broadband service with a massive 50GB it may over use the backhaul they have as they will likely use more than 1-3GB a month. I think the 15GB one they do is a good amount for a lot of people. I hope that explains it better for you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they market it as mobile broadband service with a massive 50GB it may over use the backhaul they have as they will likely use more than 1-3GB a month.
    This part here contains two massive and presumptive leaps though.

Firstly, no-one mentioned marketing such a theoretical service as mobile broadband - the person you had replied to about backhaul specifically talked about a SIM with calls, texts and ~50GB of data.

Secondly, would the average usage really be higher?
    If the majority of people on tariffs with an unlimited allowance only use a couple of gigs, why would people on a 50GB tariff use more?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This part here contains two massive and presumptive leaps though.

Firstly, no-one mentioned marketing such a theoretical service as mobile broadband - the person you had replied to about backhaul specifically talked about a SIM with calls, texts and ~50GB of data.

Secondly, would the average usage really be higher?
    If the majority of people on tariffs with an unlimited allowance only use a couple of gigs, why would people on a 50GB tariff use more?

True you do have a good point and honestly think they might as they might think it is limited similar to virgins or something similar.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    While I think about it, Three's backhaul seems to be about the most robust anyway.

I tried a 3 PAYG SIM in my S4, got 10Mbps download speeds where I live (wee village north of Edinburgh) and 15-16Mbps in places like Edinburgh, Glasgow and Dundee.
    With my T-Mobile SIM, on the other hand, I get up to 18Mbps at home but struggle to get 2-3Mbps in the likes of Edinburgh or Glasgow.

So, in an entirely unscientific way, it strikes me that Three have ample backhaul in place compared to their biggest competitor.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    While I think about it, Three's backhaul seems to be about the most robust anyway.

I tried a 3 PAYG SIM in my S4, got 10Mbps download speeds where I live (wee village north of Edinburgh) and 15-16Mbps in places like Edinburgh, Glasgow and Dundee.
    With my T-Mobile SIM, on the other hand, I get up to 18Mbps at home but struggle to get 2-3Mbps in the likes of Edinburgh or Glasgow.

So, in an entirely unscientific way, it strikes me that Three have ample backhaul in place compared to their biggest competitor.

Interesting I think Three have come a long way recently and certainly now a proper contender.
  • Options
    morskimorski Posts: 124
    Forum Member
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    Was it the one with 2GB data limit?

No this was the one with the totally unlimited data and tethering. He made a point of saying about the tethering and the unlimited data.

It was 2000 minutes, 5000 texts, 5000 3 to 3, totally unlimited data with tethering for £15 a month on a rolling contract. He also offered to throw in something that I could connect up at home that would solve the signal problems in the house but I forget the name of that now.

I would have stayed but the network around this area really has become next to useless, data throughout the day averaging 200 kbs and almost constant cell breathing problems.
  • Options
    jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    I can confirm that the rumours were true. Went into my local three store and they showed me this:

The One Plan for £15pm on a 12 month agreement and £18pm on a 1 month agreement.
    2000 minutes, 5000 texts, 5000 3 to 3 minutes and unlimited data with tethering. Coupled with their free 4G proposition this is clearly providing the best value on the market for high end users. Unbelievable!

http://db.tt/2M5wtYok
  • Options
    omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Excellent news. I've been thinking about using 3 purely as a broadband connection, as the speeds are fantastic compared to ADSL in my area (13Mb 3G vs. 1.5Mb ADSL). £15 a month for unlimited data and tethering seems unbeatable.

Presumably I could just stick the SIM in a cheap Android phone with wifi tethering, then connect other devices around the house to it?
  • Options
    Chris1973Chris1973 Posts: 670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Three is the only network where I can routinely get 10mbs+ speeds, i've never seen more than 4mbs on T-Mobile and Virgin rarely crawls above 2mbs

Back in 2010, I was on a mobile internet deal from Orange which offered a dongle with 10GB of data for £25 a month, speeds in this area were also around 4mbs and it was good and stable, however Orange scrapped the deal about 3 months after it was introduced, and they have never seemed to offer any decent 3G allowances ever since.

There does seem to be a lack of deals in the 5gb to 25gb range, and its strange that customers who routinely use only 2gb to 3gb a month would pay more for an unlimited or a suggested 50gb deal, when one of the cheaper deals, offering less data would do just as well.

I suppose that paying for the one plan and unlimited data and tethering is good value for money if you download 100gb+ data every month, however its expensive for medium demand subscribers only using 5gb to 50gb a month, and this is where packages for rural customers with poor land line speeds are lacking.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chris1973 wrote: »
    Three is the only network where I can routinely get 10mbs+ speeds, i've never seen more than 4mbs on T-Mobile and Virgin rarely crawls above 2mbs

Back in 2010, I was on a mobile internet deal from Orange which offered a dongle with 10GB of data for £25 a month, speeds in this area were also around 4mbs and it was good and stable, however Orange scrapped the deal about 3 months after it was introduced, and they have never seemed to offer any decent 3G allowances ever since.

There does seem to be a lack of deals in the 5gb to 25gb range, and its strange that customers who routinely use only 2gb to 3gb a month would pay more for an unlimited or a suggested 50gb deal, when one of the cheaper deals, offering less data would do just as well.

I suppose that paying for the one plan and unlimited data and tethering is good value for money if you download 100gb+ data every month, however its expensive for medium demand subscribers only using 5gb to 50gb a month, and this is where packages for rural customers with poor land line speeds are lacking.

Is 18 pound a month really an awful lot for a 10-20MB connection speed these days in rural areas they probably not getting even high that. I think it might be slightly above the average price but not an awful lot more.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is 18 pound a month really an awful lot for a 10-20MB connection speed these days in rural areas they probably not getting even high that. I think it might be slightly above the average price but not an awful lot more.

I only just saw the POS scan which jabbamk1 had linked to after i'd made the above post, and £18 is more like it.

Prior to that, the price reduction was just internet rumour. Happy to see its actually going to happen. Especially as Virgin Mobile have also just announced a July price increase.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I only just saw the POS scan which jabbamk1 had linked to after i'd made the above post, and £18 is more like it.

Prior to that, the price reduction was just internet rumour. Happy to see its actually going to happen. Especially as Virgin Mobile have also just announced a July price increase.

I can see this certainly increasing the amount of Three contract customers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Prior to that, the price reduction was just internet rumour.
    For future reference, if I say something is likely to happen you can pretty much bank on it.
    I wouldn't've started a thread if I wasn't confident it would turn out to be the case.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For future reference, if I say something is likely to happen you can pretty much bank on it.
    I wouldn't've started a thread if I wasn't confident it would turn out to be the case.

you actually used the word rumour in your own opening post
    I heard a rumour today that Three might be reducing the price of their One Plan SIM-only tariffs in July.

rumour was YOUR choice of word, not mine.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Rumour is code word for "truthfact"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rumour is code word for "truthfact"

In which case choosing to use exactly the same word shouldn't have caused any offence
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IS the 12 month one plan actually the same as 30 day and 24month options and truly unlimited now?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    IS the 12 month one plan actually the same as 30 day and 24month options and truly unlimited now?

Yup.

Makes my £12.50pm loyalty deal look insignificant now...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you actually used the word rumour in your own opening post
    I know.
    But there's 'This is almost certainly going to happen, I just don't have anything in my hand that proves it' rumours and there's 'I read on some one man blog about how the royal family are all giant space lizards' rumours.

As I also said, whilst I couldn't prove beyond all doubt it was going to happen, I wouldn't've started the thread at all without good reason.
  • Options
    eljmayeseljmayes Posts: 1,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

In a market one exchange you are paying roughly 18 quid a month for broadband alone. Satellite is obviously significantly more.

This is a great move by Three ahead of the other network's 4G launch.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    eljmayes wrote: »
    In a market one exchange you are paying roughly 18 quid a month for broadband alone. Satellite is obviously significantly more.

This is a great move by Three ahead of the other network's 4G launch.

True and if someone is willing go on the 12 month package they can an extra 3 pound a month specially with 4G going to be free I think Three is going to be the network for people who like sim free phones or want an alternative internet connection.
  • Options
    Zee_BukhariZee_Bukhari Posts: 1,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    this is an amazing deal. I wonder what the other networks reaction will be to this. These are unbeatable deals.
  • Options
    Zee_BukhariZee_Bukhari Posts: 1,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone know if the pay as you go tariffs will get any sort of shake up?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone know if the pay as you go tariffs will get any sort of shake up?
    Yes.

It's going to be a new flat rate set-up instead of bundles.
    It'll be something like 3p per minute, 2p per text and I'm not sure about data.