ITV's Jekyll and Hyde gets 800 complaints

Terry NTerry N Posts: 5,262
Forum Member
Just take a look at this. :blush:

ITV’s Jekyll and Hyde is facing an investigation after the teatime show attracted hundreds of complaints over violent scenes.

Broadcast watchdog Ofcom said it had received a total of 459 complaints about the show, which aired at 6:30pm on Sunday and is scheduled for the 7pm slot from this weekend. Including complaints made to ITV, the total is now more than 800.

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/oct/29/itv-jekyll-and-hyde-investigation-complaints-ofcom

Comments

• Chiltons CaneChiltons Cane Posts: 23,674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Those 800 people are probably all parents who need to get out more....
  • Terry NTerry N Posts: 5,262
    Forum Member
    Was it on early because of the rugby? :confused:
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,549
    Forum Member
    Terry N wrote: »

I am sure it said 8pm when I first looked on the schedule and was shocked it was on so early so wonder if you are right.

If I had young children I would not be that happy if they saw it. I never heard the warning that some have said was on so how is a young children meant to understand a warning verbal or visual?.

I am not surprised there were complaints.
  • niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No worse than Doctor Who or Merlin or many other family dramas. We can't have wall to wall Peppa Pig until the watershed.

For a gothic horror tale, it was very tame.
  • planetsplanets Posts: 47,784
    Forum Member
    Are they complaining it was a bit shit?
  • Dan RDan R Posts: 2,201
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When else would they have put it? X Factor occupies most of the night,
  • jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No that's the slot ITV decided for it. 7pm from this week onwards. It can't go at 8pm due to X Factor, or 9pm due to Downton.
  • JordyDJordyD Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tuesdays @ 8 need something.
  • Jane_Lee3Jane_Lee3 Posts: 1,164
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bet people are complaining just because other people have complained now, even though they didn't actually watch it!

Like with that Russell Brand and Jonathan Ross fiasco with Andrew Sachs's grandaughter.

Some people need to get a life.
  • richie4evarichie4eva Posts: 217,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    800 people who need to get a life

What part of the "This programme may/will contain scenes unsuitable for younger children" warning did these saddos not understand :confused:
  • davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably Daily Mail viewers who have not seen the programme but are incensed because the DM is incensed. Although they are probably more incensed that the show wasn't on BBC1 at that time, then they really would have gone to town with this story.
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Probably Daily Mail viewers who have not seen the programme but are incensed because the DM is incensed. Although they are probably more incensed that the show wasn't on BBC1 at that time, then they really would have gone to town with this story.

I've tried asking this question before but nobody answered me, so I'll try again. Who reported about the number of complaints in the first place?
  • oathyoathy Posts: 32,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    its the same Mob who ruined BB on Channel 4 and the show never recovered.
    Harry potter on Sky movies most of them don't need a pin and the level of "violence" and scary bits is almost identical.

Personally I think its got that timeslot because of Xfactor. I would actually rather it on later because its not doing the show justice. Its a well produced original show long overdue on ITV.
  • revolver44revolver44 Posts: 22,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sad acts. Wtf did they expect? The clue is in the title, it's not going to be Terry & June is it? It would be like watching Dracula and complaining that some dude is biting people's necks.
  • simon_vale1simon_vale1 Posts: 627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JordyD wrote: »
    Tuesdays @ 8 need something.

Wednesday's at 8pm on BBC One need something as well.

The complainers are probably afraid of their own shadow, it's nonsense to complain over it.
  • Cestrian18Cestrian18 Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    Wednesday's at 8pm on BBC One need something as well.

The complainers are probably afraid of their own shadow, it's nonsense to complain over it.

While I agree that it's nonsense to complain about it, I kinda understand why, there were some distinctly adult themes in the show (including quite a bit of suggested sexual assault from hyde, which while it would have gone over younger kids heads, isn't really suitable for Sunday tea time) Equally, It was pretty violent, as when adapting a mainly horror story would suggest and it was therefore caught in a weird no man's land where I think had it been allowed to skew a little darker, would have been a very adult show indeed
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    revolver44 wrote: »
    Sad acts. Wtf did they expect? The clue is in the title, it's not going to be Terry & June is it? It would be like watching Dracula and complaining that some dude is biting people's necks.

There was a children's television show called 'Young Dracula' so maybe some thought that this might have been geared towards a younger audience as well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    oathy wrote: »
    its the same Mob who ruined BB on Channel 4 and the show never recovered.
    Harry potter on Sky movies most of them don't need a pin and the level of "violence" and scary bits is almost identical.

Personally I think its got that timeslot because of Xfactor. I would actually rather it on later because its not doing the show justice. Its a well produced original show long overdue on ITV.

I very much doubt it. It will be a completely different set of people with different motivations. With those reality shows many of the complaints may come from fans of certain contestants who don't like some other contestant and want to cause problems for them.

With J&H I think it's quite plausible that many complaints actually did come from concerned parents. I doubt that the complaints are coming from 'fans' of anybody.
  • niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Actually he didn't. It was a politicians apology.

"I’m sorry that anyone got upset by it."

not

"I’m sorry I upset anyone."
  • burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I finally caught up with the first episode on catch-up because, like many other adults, I am too busy on a Saturday at 6.30 pm to sit down for an hour to watch tv. I thought it was excellent and very well made, but wholly unsuitable for children. What are ITV thinking? Even dr who is on at 8pm.
  • donna255donna255 Posts: 10,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be honest because of the complaints you can bet ITV will not renew. They will pull their horns in and go off and take the ball with them.

I and number of others were disappointed it was on so early we wanted 9pm and more gore. If they did put it on at that time, kids would be watching and no complaints from mummy and daddy.:D

I was breastfeeding my 6 month old and this came on. My baby started screaming. :p:p Bet Daily Fail would go with this complaint. Rolls eyes and Yawns
  • H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    donna255 wrote: »
    To be honest because of the complaints you can bet ITV will not renew. They will pull their horns in and go off and take the ball with them.

I and number of others were disappointed it was on so early we wanted 9pm and more gore. If they did put it on at that time, kids would be watching and no complaints from mummy and daddy.:D

I was breastfeeding my 6 month old and this came on. My baby started screaming. :p:p Bet Daily Fail would go with this complaint. Rolls eyes and Yawns

If they were that bothered by the complaints, why have they refused to move it? The only reason why ITV might cancel is because a) nobody bothers to watch it live or at all (the 1st ep got only 3.4m) and b) because the oversea sales aren't strong enough. Not because a hand full of viewrs have complained.
  • burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If they were that bothered by the complaints, why have they refused to move it? The only reason why ITV might cancel is because a) nobody bothers to watch it live or at all (the 1st e got only 3.4m) and b) because the oversea sales aren't strong enough. Not because a hand full of viewrs have complained.

the 1st e got only 3.4m

This is because it was broadcast at a ridiculous time in the late afternoon when hardly anyone, except kids, watch TV.

I bet if it was broadcast at the same sort of times that Merlin, Dr Who, Atlantis (all inferior shows in my opinion) were on, it would get a higher rating.
  • A.D.PA.D.P Posts: 10,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To continue showing this that slot, will make the sanction far worse for ITV and they should move this show now from the early slot. What makes it worse, is it is on Sunday, in the early evening Religious time area.

Very bad planning.