Kate Bush CBE

Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,794
Forum Member
✭✭✭
A well deserved award for one of our most durable and well liked singer/songwriters. It's nice she's had a CBE rather than an OBE.

Comments

• Littlegreen42Littlegreen42 Posts: 19,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sooooo happy and proud!

I can't wait to see the pics/footage of her getting it!!!!
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sooooo happy and proud!

I can't wait to see the pics/footage of her getting it!!!!

Too right, this lady has waited too long.
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well deserved one of if not the most influential woman in music a true individual and visionary and well over due congrats to her and perhaps one day maybe Dame Kate :)
  • CloudbusterCloudbuster Posts: 688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am so thrilled for Kate. Not before time.

Wonderful
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what's CBE and OBE? (American)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A CBE is just one below a Damehood.
    • Knight Grand Cross or Dame Grand Cross of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire (GBE), see Knight Grand Cross
    • Knight Commander or Dame Commander of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire (KBE or DBE)
    • Commander of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire (CBE)
    • Officer of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire (OBE)
    • Member of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire (MBE)
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    sjp07 wrote: »
    what's CBE and OBE? (American)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_the_British_Empire
  • Madonna38Madonna38 Posts: 2,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well done Kate. Like someone else said, can't wait to see her get it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kate has been in the music business since 1975 and in a 37 year career has had five number one albums, four top ten albums, eight top ten singles( including a no 1) and ten top 20 singles.
  • ashtray88ashtray88 Posts: 1,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well done Kate! She's not only made some great music but influenced so many other great artists too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    Kate has been in the music business since 1975 and in a 37 year career has had five number one albums, four top ten albums, eight top ten singles( including a no 1) and ten top 20 singles.

3 Number 1 albums. But coincidentally she was the first ever femal artist to enter at number 1 on the labum charts and the first ever to achieve a solo number 1 single with a solely written song so no minor achievemnets.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hav_mor91 wrote: »
    3 Number 1 albums. But coincidentally she was the first ever femal artist to enter at number 1 on the labum charts and the first ever to achieve a solo number 1 single with a solely written song so no minor achievemnets.

Prior to Kate, Lynsey de Paul was probably the first singer/songwriter who performed and arranged all her own material and wrote for other people, but she was only really active between 1972 and 1977 and her sales were far less( Sugar Me is probably the song people remember her most for).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Prior to Kate, Lynsey de Paul was probably the first singer/songwriter who performed and arranged all her own material and wrote for other people, but she was only really active between 1972 and 1977 and her sales were far less( Sugar Me is probably the song people remember her most for).

Is she any good and worth a look have never heard of her ? :)
  • CloudbusterCloudbuster Posts: 688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kate has hit Top 10 with all of her albums released- that is 10 in total
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am so so so proud of Kate, one of my favourite artists EVER! And i too cannot wait to see her get it :)
  • SoupietwistSoupietwist Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    While I've found her recent comeback material somewhat underwhelming truth be told, this award is well deserved.
  • 09beyoncefan09beyoncefan Posts: 2,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ooh this is brilliant, so well deserved! Well done Kate, one of our most talented singer-songwriters definitely.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Very 70's soft focus blonde bimbo type but with a sweet very commercial, if rather thin, voice but a great underrated songwriter. Storm in a Teacup, Sugar Me, Won't Somebody Dance With Me and No Honestly were her big hits. When Kate Bush came on the scene Lynsey seemed to very quickly date (and disappear).

Worth checking out here.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jackbell wrote: »
    Very 70's soft focus blonde bimbo type but with a sweet very commercial, if rather thin, voice but a great underrated songwriter. Storm in a Teacup, Sugar Me, Won't Somebody Dance With Me and No Honestly were her big hits. When Kate Bush came on the scene Lynsey seemed to very quickly date (and disappear).

Worth checking out here.

Thanks i will :) interesting that she disappeared after Kate probably filled her niche and surpassed it :)

Also someone mentioned earlier all her albums have hit top ten. In fact all her albums have hit no lower than six something only Madonna has achieved. It's amazing to look back and really shee just how much she has done and how when all is said and done the little recognition she gets for it so this is a victory indeed. I mean she has done just as much as bowie and is never quite as applauded for it.
  • Mr PerksMr Perks Posts: 1,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David Bowie is a much better comparison than Lyndsey De Paul - she merely wrote songs and sang them at the piano in a slightly annoying style whereas Kate Bush integrated music and visuals, like Bowie did, into a complete audovisual experience.
  • 446.09375446.09375 Posts: 961
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow wow wow, unbelievable :)

Well done Kate, about time. I love many of your works, especially
    Constellation of the Heart
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0_DIdJF2OY
  • mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A well deserved award for one of our most durable and well liked singer/songwriters. It's nice she's had a CBE rather than an OBE.

we agree again sir! :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Very good looking, but her music can be an acquired taste. I like Sugar Me and Won't Somebody Dance With Me as they are really classy ballads, but Getting a Drag is woeful and No Honestly is middle of the road( OK though). Also worth a try is Rock Bottom, her 1977 entry for the Eurovision.
  • Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 79,885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Always thought that the great lady would do a Bowie, and turn down an offer of an honour. But I look forward to seeing her receiving her CBE.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,138
    Forum Member
    maybe this time she'll get Queenie's autograph without having that pesky Twiggy there to thwart her plans.:p