Options

Kellogg's Corn Flakes

swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,119
Forum Member
✭✭✭✭
Great aren't they......:D

Over the decades there must have been hundreds of breakfast cereals made.......any decent sized shop probably has a couple of dozen varieties........

But no one has ever bettered the simple Corn Flake.........

a bowl of corn flakes with cold milk..........breakfast cereal perfection !

any other fans ?

you can keep all your processed sugary chocolaty cinnamon and honey this and that with an alphabet of additives........just give me corn flakes !

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Must admit thats what I usually eat, no sugar, occasionally banana sliced in them
  • Options
    heskethbangheskethbang Posts: 4,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Every home should have a box.
  • Options
    malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,641
    Forum Member
    They have sugar in them. Second ingredient I believe is sugar.

They're not all that healthy really. They're fortified with vitamins and minerals because the manufacturing process removes all the natural nutrition from the maize.
  • Options
    Hutchy_MuseHutchy_Muse Posts: 7,083
    Forum Member
    I miss Chocolate Corn Flakes, they brought them back recently but they seem to have gone again :(
  • Options
    davordavor Posts: 6,874
    Forum Member
    There's nothing healthy about Corn Flakes and cereal in general. It's a full of sugar and GMO. I don't have a problem with people eating cereals, we all eat and drink many things that we know are bad for our health, myself included.

What I do mind however is when people opt to eat cereals as a healthy option, and they really think it's healthy if they eat cearals for brekkie instead of say fry ups. If you like eating cereals, go ahead but don't fool yourself thinking you are eating healthier 'cause that's not the case. Same goes for low-fat alternatives of various snacks and drinks.
  • Options
    bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    davor wrote: »
    What I do mind however is when people opt to eat cereals as a healthy option, and they really think it's healthy if they eat cearals for brekkie instead of say fry ups. If you like eating cereals, go ahead but don't fool yourself thinking you are eating healthier 'cause that's not the case. Same goes for low-fat alternatives of various snacks and drinks.

It's comparative, processed cereals such as cornflakes often (usually) contain too much sugar though not all of them do. They are still much better though than a greasy fry up but certainly not what you would call healthy.

A much better way to get cereals is with muesli and it is very easy to get muesli without added sugar or even make your own up.

Low fat alternatives as you say also often contain extra sugar though this isn't always the case so read the label.
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    For a few months I did jot down the 'values' of various cereals that I bought

as far as sugar goes......the grams per 100 grams was

Sugar per 100g

28.0g - Fruit and Nut Muesli (Sainsbury)
    20.9g - Cheerios
    10.0g - Rice Crispies
    8.0g - Corn Flakes
    4.4g - Weetabix
    0.7g - Shredded Wheat
    0 - Organic Wheat Bran

note.......these are just the ones I bought, I didn't go around the supermarket checking them
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »

Sugar per 100g

20.9g - Cheerios
    10.0g - Rice Crispies
    8.0g - Corn Flakes
    4.4g - Weetabix
    0.7g - Shredded Wheat
    0 - Organic Wheat Bran

note.......these are just the ones I bought, I didn't go around the supermarket checking them

The sugar in the fruit and nut muesli may be from the dried fruit so is not a problem Many mueslis have added sugar so you need to read the label to find out.
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »

Sugar per 100g

20.9g - Cheerios
    10.0g - Rice Crispies
    8.0g - Corn Flakes
    4.4g - Weetabix
    0.7g - Shredded Wheat
    0 - Organic Wheat Bran

This is what is in the Muesli.

Ingredients

Oats (21%), Sultanas (18%), Toasted Wheat Flakes (18%) (Wheat Flakes), Wheat Flakes, Raisins (6%), Dried Apricot (5%) (Apricots, Rice Flour, Preservative: Sulphur Dioxide), Barley Flakes (5%), Chopped Dates (5%) (Date, Rice Flour), Hazelnuts (3.5%), Almond (3.5%), Sunflower Seeds, Dried Apple (2.5%) (Apples, Preservative: Sulphur Dioxide), Coconut (2%).

I prefer weetabix or Shreddies, ok, I prefer the Sainsburys version of them.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,944
    Forum Member
    bobcar wrote: »
    The sugar in the fruit and nut muesli may be from the dried fruit so is not a problem Many mueslis have added sugar so you need to read the label to find out.

Isn't sugar just sugar?
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't sugar just sugar?

No, the sugar you use at home is processed, it is not natural. Natural sugar while too much is still not good for you, it is believed to be better for you than the stuff you stick on your cornflakes or the stuff they stick on your cornflakes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    noise747 wrote: »
    No, the sugar you use at home is processed, it is not natural. Natural sugar while too much is still not good for you, it is believed to be better for you than the stuff you stick on your cornflakes or the stuff they stick on your cornflakes.

Really? According to who?
  • Options
    farmer bobfarmer bob Posts: 27,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shredded Wheat bite-size are lovely.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really? According to who?

Well according to all the research evidence. There is a world of difference between eating refined sugars and eating sugars from whole foods, the same can be said of oils where taking the oils in say seeds is much preferable to refined from a bottle.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well according to all the research evidence. There is a world of difference between eating refined sugars and eating sugars from whole foods, the same can be said of oils where taking the oils in say seeds is much preferable to refined from a bottle.

I was after a link really.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was after a link really.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24065788

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21621801

There is lots on the internet but you do need to go for proper studies, there is a lot of nonsense particularly on low carb websites where they either don't give a reference or cherry pick a small part of a larger study.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24065788

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21621801

There is lots on the internet but you do need to go for proper studies, there is a lot of nonsense particularly on low carb websites where they either don't give a reference or cherry pick a small part of a larger study.

Thanks for that. Just wanted to check this wasn't another 'aspartame'.
  • Options
    Smithy1204Smithy1204 Posts: 4,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mmmm, Cornflakes. I could quite happily live off Cornflakes!
  • Options
    newda898newda898 Posts: 5,466
    Forum Member
    I miss Chocolate Corn Flakes, they brought them back recently but they seem to have gone again :(

Get yerself down to Asda - they do them under their own label. Result!

They also do something called "chocolate curls" which are just as nice.
  • Options
    Ess_BeeEss_Bee Posts: 7,716
    Forum Member
    Crunchy Nut Cornflakes! When I was having chemotherapy they were the only thing I could eat without wanting to retch. Doused in skimmed milk they more or less kept me going. I still like them but only eat rarely as I know they have a huge amount of sugar in them.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I think they taste like cardboard, but my mum often eats them for breakfast. I think she puts sweetener on hers.
  • Options
    KennedyCKennedyC Posts: 1,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has anyone tried changing to an alternative "brand" of cornflakes? I have tried a couple of times over the years and I always end up changing back. I began to suspect that "K" have added something addictive to their recipe.
  • Options
    ste likes boobsste likes boobs Posts: 677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Love a bowl of soggy cornflakes; haven't had some for ages. As a treat I add a light sprinkling of sugar.

Love soggy Rice Crispies too. Though, I much prefer my Frosties crunchie.
  • Options
    PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Need a bit of sugar with your cereal to get you hyped up ready for a day's work!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    My favorite has always been coco pops!