Anyone else hate this mild weather now

Comments

• TissyTissy Posts: 45,747
    Forum Member
    Achtung! wrote: »
    It's too damp and murky, I prefer higher pressure weather which means it is dry, clear and cold.

Me too - hate the damp - makes me ache even more.

Perfect weather is when you don`t notice it - not too hot, too cold or too wet.
  • david16david16 Posts: 14,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kaz159 wrote: »
    It's only +2 here so hardly warm.

I'm one who doesn't like it too hot or too cold, anything around 16C suits me fine.

+16C in the summer is superb. We may get our wish this summer, if it's dry and sunny for long periods this time around.

+17C with rain from the southwest in summer is the equivalent to +11C with rain in the winter. Horrible.
  • Kaz159Kaz159 Posts: 11,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dean wells wrote: »
    most of you dont have games consoles,tv etc that had extra heat to the room you must all sit there doing crosswords all day ,i mean this in good spirit not a moan so sorry if it seem that way ;)

TV and laptop have been on since first thing - does that count?
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    david16 wrote: »
    Regular +10C's, +11C's and +12C's even in Scotland and seeing no sun for days and weeks on end 2006/7 winter was horrific.

Might have been horrific for you, but I loved it. I remember going for a walk one Saturday night in January 2007, when the temperature was 14C at 10pm ~ bliss !!!
  • Kaz159Kaz159 Posts: 11,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    solarflare wrote: »
    I sense you may be losing the crowd here.

That made me :D:D
  • dean wellsdean wells Posts: 930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If this was June then fair enough its summer time it should be hot but its December for christ sake it should be freezing till March i hate all these mild snaps in winter ,Look when it was cold before xmas atleast it was sunny, What would you rather have Cold and sunny or wet/cloudy drizzly stuff like it is now ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »
    Might have been horrific for you, but I loved it. I remember going for a walk one Saturday night in January 2007, when the temperature was 14C at 10pm ~ bliss !!!

For arthritis and asthma sufferers it's a real nightmare.

It ought not really be +14C day or night in January though. Such a temperature is far too high. The overprolonged nature of the moist atlantic air was the only thing that made it possible.
  • ĐironaĐirona Posts: 15,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For arthritis and asthma sufferers it's a real nightmare.

It ought not really be +14C day or night in January though. Such a temperature is far too high. The overprolonged nature of the moist atlantic air was the only thing that made it possible.

so that's why son's suddenly getting asthmatic again?!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dean wells wrote: »
    If this was June then fair enough its summer time it should be hot but its December for christ sake it should be freezing till March i hate all these mild snaps in winter ,Look when it was cold before xmas atleast it was sunny, What would you rather have Cold and sunny or wet/cloudy drizzly stuff like it is now ?

Indeed there was the snow, but it wasn't exactly snowing for days and weeks on end the way the seemingly never ending atlantic stuff bringing rain for days and weeks on end usually does.

The rest of Europe welcome snow, yet we seem to blame he snow and not the authorities for all the gridlock and non running rail services etc. The modern trains that don't run whenever the mercury on the thermometer drops falls below zero plus snowfall were really built for the mediterranean climate we were lead to believe we had already approached, unlike the retired old trains that used to handle superbly even harsher weather than we've just experienced. Rail companies acted on government and MET office advice after all. The fat lady was clearing her throat too re: this now proven never to be subtropical climate in the UK.

In the winter months not too many years ago, constant yucky yellows and yellowish greens on the temperature map, arrow symbols much of the time reading 25, 35, 40, 45, 60 or even 70 with the arrows showing winds coming from the southwest west or south almost all the time, widespread rain and black cloud symbols almost every single day, widespread temperature symbols showing 10, 11, 12 and 13 each and every day for days and weeks on end, and constant tightly packed isobars on the pressure charts, yet people thought it was wonderful that we were so mild, but really it was horrific, so poor for so many people's health.

The much harsher weather in the past than this winter, last winter plus February 2009 never used to cause so much drisruption, gridlock, panic and utter chaos the way it does now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seems rather unfair that we are the odd man out 50 to 60 degrees away from the equator in the winter months receiving mild snaps well above freezing weather while everywhere else the same distatnce from the equator are well as much below freezing as we are above freeezing and they probably not cloudy and snowing all the time the way we are cloudy and raining all the time when we are the odd man out so ridiculously mild.

Seems rather weird that some parts of the UK are still receiving the same sort of temperatures in this mild snap we would normally expect in the middle of a prolonged mild wet spell even though the atlantic sea temperatures are much colder than normal, and we have just came out of a recent bitter spell as well.

North atlantic, hurry up and cool down to mirror the north pacific, south pacific and south atlantic sea temperatures from 30 degrees west of each continent at 40 degrees north.
  • big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I get what you mean op. I've been feeling sticky all day today. Oh and I hate being able to see my front garden . At least when it snows everyones garden look the same. Wish the cold would come back
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,803
    Forum Member
    Seems rather unfair that we are the odd man out50 to 60 degrees away from the equator in the winter months receiving mild snaps well above freezing weather while everywhere else the same distatnce from the equator are well as much below freezing as we are above freeezing and they probably not cloudy and snowing all the time the way we are cloudy and raining all the time when we are the odd man out so mild.

Seems rather weird that some parts of the UK are still receiving the same sort of temperatures in this mild snap we would normally expect in the middle of a prolonged mild wet spell even though the atlantic sea temperatures are much colder than normal, and we have just came out of a recent bitter spell as well.

Hardly unfair David, the weather is what it is, we have no right to anything it's out of our control.

And I beg to differ, we have just had one the coldest months ever. Newfoundland has been much milder than us this past month, they haven't even had any real snow yet this winter!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Worst "I have a PS3" thread ever
  • merlinsmummerlinsmum Posts: 3,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It really is grey and murky now. Plus the garden looks awful and very muddy. Not good with two dogs, who have been having a whale of a time playing chase around it in the snow! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Indeed there was the snow, but it wasn't exactly snowing for days and weeks on end the way the seemingly never ending atlantic stuff bringing rain for days and weeks on end usually does.

The rest of Europe welcome snow, yet we seem to blame he snow and not the authorities for all the gridlock and non running rail services etc. The modern trains that don't run whenever the mercury on the thermometer drops falls below zero plus snowfall were really built for the mediterranean climate we were lead to believe we had already approached, unlike the retired old trains that used to handle superbly even harsher weather than we've just experienced. Rail companies acted on government and MET office advice after all. The fat lady was clearing her throat too re: this now proven never to be subtropical climate in the UK.

In the winter months not too many years ago, constant yucky yellows and yellowish greens on the temperature map, arrow symbols much of the time reading 25, 35, 40, 45, 60 or even 70 with the arrows showing winds coming from the southwest west or south almost all the time, widespread rain and black cloud symbols almost every single day, widespread temperature symbols showing 10, 11, 12 and 13 each and every day for days and weeks on end, and constant tightly packed isobars on the pressure charts, yet people thought it was wonderful that we were so mild, but really it was horrific, so poor for so many people's health.

The much harsher weather in the past than this winter, last winter plus February 2009 never used to cause so much drisruption, gridlock, panic and utter chaos the way it does now.

They can usually get the trains started. It's the points that freeze, and always have done. That's nothing new.

Plus iced up pantographs where lines have overhead electrification.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    merlinsmum wrote: »
    It really is grey and murky now. Plus the garden looks awful and very muddy. Not good with two dogs, who have been having a whale of a time playing chase around it in the snow! :D

Yes, I've just been out into my back garden. It looks horrendous. Just a few months ago, it looked fantastic.
  • queenshaksqueenshaks Posts: 10,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At least all the pissing snow has melted!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Worst "I have a PS3" thread ever

Go and finish your crossword!
  • whackyracerwhackyracer Posts: 15,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dont like this drizzly, gloomy weather, it's depressing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seems rather unfair that we are the odd man out 50 to 60 degrees away from the equator in the winter months receiving mild snaps well above freezing weather while everywhere else the same distatnce from the equator are well as much below freezing as we are above freeezing and they probably not cloudy and snowing all the time the way we are cloudy and raining all the time when we are the odd man out so ridiculously mild.

We're not totally the odd man out. Iceland is interesting. They can vary between two extremes. If they are in a South Westerly Winter airflow, they might get 6C. In a Ma they could be -6C or lower. Not as cold as you would think their Northerly elevation, where the North part of their island juts into the Arctic circle, would merit.

Reykjavik temperatures

I don't think they are. I said a few days ago that some places in the South West might scrape an 11C and that is just what is happening, with about 2C to 7C elsewhere. Normally, we might reasonably expect 13C in the South West and 9 to 10 elsewhere.
    North atlantic, hurry up and cool down to mirror the north pacific, south pacific and south atlantic sea temperatures from 30 degrees west of each continent at 40 degrees north.

If you're that desperate for cold weather, David, why not emigrate to somewhere like Winnipeg in Canada. There you could indulge prolonged hyper sub zero conditions and plenty of snow, to your heart's content.

Winnipeg temperatures
  • ClairebeeClairebee Posts: 746
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hate mild weather too.
    come back snow all is forgiven! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mist is another thing I hate.

Mist is horrid, damp, dank, murky and clammy, and usually pouring with rain with it. At least with fog at least it's usually dry and cold under high pressure.

High presure is better when it's to the north of us over Greenland and Scandinavia or over us rather than when it's to the south of us over France, Spain and Portugal coupled with a seemingly never moving icelandic low and azores high, and a stationery 920mb or lower polar vortex low pressure system over Greenland.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Clairebee wrote: »
    I hate mild weather too.
    come back snow all is forgiven! :D

Don't you dare!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Couldn't you buy a portable aircon unit? A bit noisy maybe but with some headphones on you could still play on your PS3
  • ClairebeeClairebee Posts: 746
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    queenshaks wrote: »
    Don't you dare!

Sorry, but it looks so beautiful when it's newly laid snow, all white and twinkley.

Ok so not 1 foot of snow, but perhaps 6cm maybe!?
This discussion has been closed.