Options

Help! Sim card trouble with my new phone

FriendlyGoatFriendlyGoat Posts: 4,814
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi! Sorry if this has been asked/dealt with before, just I didn't know exactly what to search for.

I've just purchased a Sony Ericsson K750i. My old phone is a Nokia 3100. They're both on O2.

I assumed I'd be able to put my old sim card in my new phone, but apparently not- the phone says that it is an inactive simcard.

Is there any way around this, or any way to transfer my old number to my new simcard?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Comments

• Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK, I have the simcard working in my new phone. Whoo!

But is there any way to transfer the number to another simcard?

Sorry for the double post!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In what way transfer the number? You mean you want a different SIM on the same network or you want to change networks?
    If you want to change netwroks you can call the network you're leaving and ask for a PAC code which you give to the network you want to join and they will transfer your number across in a week or two.
    If you want to use a different SIM on the same network then you will not usually be able to do it although it may be worth calling customer services and asking them if they can register your new SIM, they only need a SIM number and it is my impression that you could technically register any SIM to an account.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dominoid wrote:
    In what way transfer the number? You mean you want a different SIM on the same network or you want to change networks?
    If you want to change netwroks you can call the network you're leaving and ask for a PAC code which you give to the network you want to join and they will transfer your number across in a week or two.
    If you want to use a different SIM on the same network then you will not usually be able to do it although it may be worth calling customer services and asking them if they can register your new SIM, they only need a SIM number and it is my impression that you could technically register any SIM to an account.

I'm staying with O2, however with my old simcard I'm not sure if I can use the features on my new phone such as WAP?
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you have a really old SIM from O2 (or cellnet) then it may not function in your new phone.

Best way is to try it and see. If it doesn't work, contact O2 and explain the problem and they should transfer the number to a new SIM that supports all the functions of your new phone.

If O2 are awkward about this (they shouldn't be and do it on contract without problems) then you can port your old number to another network and then port it back to O2, if it is important that you keep the old number.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll try calling them tomorrow.

Essentially I'm trying to transfer my old number to my new sim card- something you would expect to be fairly easy to do, but nothing ever is that simple.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The SIM itself seldom "supports" anything. It's just a EPROM chip for the main part. The features you have available are determined by what is available on your account. You should be able to get the new features you require provisioned on the old SIM in most cases. There are a few exceptions to this of course but if that is the case O2 will know.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't be too sure that O2 will know the cause of the fault.

I had an old O2 (Cellnet) SIM that worked fine in older phones (e.g. 3310, 8210 etc) but failed in more modern phones (e.g. k700i)

O2 first sent me a new, replacement phone, but when that also wouldn't work they sent a replacement SIM. They said they had no idea why the old SIM would be the problem in a new phone, but to try the new one anyway. The new SIM worked in both the old and new phones; the old SIM still only works in older phones.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, I say WILL know, SHOULD know is probably a better choice of phrase. I suppose it depends on how tech savvy the person you speak to is.

From what I know of the technology, that shouldn't happen, a SIM should be electronically compatible with any phone. The only thing I can think of is that the phone is locked to 02 and it doesn't recognise the SIM as being an o2 one or it's unlocked partially to allow SIMs from UK networks and as they aren't a UK network anymore, cellent aren't included.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nope, I don't think that's the cause.

The old sim (at least 8 years old) works without a problem in old phones. The SIM card in question only appears to have 5 contact locations, rather than the 6 that are evident in newer SIMs.

However, insert it in a k700i or a V220 (the V220 is definitely fully unlocked) and the phone fails to recognise it - the screen just says "Insert SIM"

Edit: here's a picture of the the old SIM and a new one
    - the one on the left is the old SIM
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 712
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SIM technology has changed slightly over the years, which means that some older SIMs won't be compatible with newer phones. For example, an old SIM it could be running at a different voltage from a newer one. I believe the old ones were 5V & the newer ones 3V, though I could have that the wrong way round.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for that Mattworld. I didn't know that.
    Does anybody have any links to articles regarding the evolution of SIM architecture? I've tried all the usual places like wikipedia and answers but I can't find anything.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 712
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't know anywhere where you can find about the evolution of SIMs off the top of my head, but if you want to find out where things are headed check out www.gemplus.com .