Scottish independence: let's have an honest debate (P3)

Comments

• James2001James2001 Posts: 73,604
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This Rally for a Revote nonsense and conspiracy theories about MI5 and vote rigging is making the 45% look like crackpots.

And remember- these are the same people who have been flocking to join the SNP en masse. Which isn't likely to do the SNP any favours either, how can they try and be moderate when they've gained 20,000-odd new members who are flat out refusing to accept the result of the referendum?

If the SNP just become a one-issue party demanding more referendums, or declaring independence anyway, who's going to want to vote for them? Being the 3rd biggest party means nothing if people are put off from voting for you.
  • Dave1979Dave1979 Posts: 1,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amazing that they only discovered and reported on this after the referendum! Also none of the oil experts on the No side knew about this or thought to mention it?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-29342142
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dave1979 wrote: »
    Amazing that they only discovered and reported on this after the referendum! Also none of the oil experts on the No side knew about this or thought to mention it?

I don't think you should be so cynical, as it's up to the researchers as to when they release this information.

However, this really could be a vote changer for Scotland. Although it's probably worth waiting a little bit just to check that it really is as effective as they claim.

Then just find a better politician than Salmon who can come up with some credible economic plans, and who doesn't try to alienate anyone who disagrees with him/herself - and off into the sunset Scotland goes (if that's what the majority of Scots want). :)

Edit: the article says: 'Technology boost for Scotland's oil reserves in North Sea
    New gas and water technologies could add decades to the lifespan of oil reserves in the North Sea, according to Edinburgh researchers.....'

• nottinghamcnottinghamc Posts: 11,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brawlad wrote: »
    What part of "it would be up to the Scottish people to decide" do you not understand. They could vote for another referendum or they could not. Who knows. Unless you are suggesting that they are never allowed another referendum. ( Isn't that a bit authoritarian of you )

Erm, no, I'm not, nowhere did I even hint that, so don't try and bring it up. If the SNP do gain a majority and call another referendum it would be effectively saying 'we know you had a referendum, and you voted no, but we're gonna keep calling them until you say yes'. What happens if they lose again? Even the most ardent Yes supporters know that would effectively end any type of scottish independence dead for decades. You can't just keep holding referendums because you don't like the result and expect to be taken seriously.
  • barky99barky99 Posts: 3,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think you should be so cynical, as it's up to the researchers as to when they release this information.

However, this really could be a vote changer for Scotland. Although it's probably worth waiting a little bit just to check that it really is as effective as they claim.

Then just find a better politician than Salmon who can come up with some credible economic plans, and who doesn't try to alienate anyone who disagrees with him/herself - and off into the sunset Scotland goes (if that's what the majority of Scots want). :)

Edit: the article says: 'Technology boost for Scotland's oil reserves in North Sea
    New gas and water technologies could add decades to the lifespan of oil reserves in the North Sea, according to Edinburgh researchers.....'

bbc are way behind the curve on this story, such tech existed for a while now, they've been investing in it for north sea for a while & there are new filelds going on stream now using same/similar tech from day 1
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barky99 wrote: »
    bbc are way behind the curve on this story, such tech existed for a while now, they've been investing in it for north sea for a while & there are new filelds going on stream now using same/similar tech from day 1

Actually, this isn't a clear cut thing. The researchers are actually after more money (investment) from the government, and the oil and gas industry.

"After 40 years of production, the North Sea oil reservoirs are now mature and in rapid decline. Urgent action is needed now.

"The Government and industry must invest in new gas and water technologies, in order to reverse that decline."

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/home-news/researchers-new-technologies-could-add-decades-to-life-span-of-north-sea-oil-reserves.1411552080?utm_source=www.heraldscotland.com&utm_medium=RSS%20Feed&utm_campaign=Home%20News
  • mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    Only to leave the Union. Joining a Union would be a different kettle of fish

apart from the EU of course , that would just be rubber stamped ;-)
  • HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,697
    Forum Member
    James2001 wrote: »
    And remember- these are the same people who have been flocking to join the SNP en masse. Which isn't likely to do the SNP any favours either, how can they try and be moderate when they've gained 20,000-odd new members who are flat out refusing to accept the result of the referendum?

If the SNP just become a one-issue party demanding more referendums, or declaring independence anyway, who's going to want to vote for them? Being the 3rd biggest party means nothing if people are put off from voting for you.

How do you know their the same people flocking to join the SNP on mass?Sounds like a massive generalisation and conjecture to me.
  • *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What part of "it would be up to the Scottish people to decide" do you not understand. They could vote for another referendum or they could not. Who knows. Unless you are suggesting that they are never allowed another referendum. ( Isn't that a bit authoritarian of you )

To an extent. It would be ridiculous to suggest that there can never be another referendum again, ever. However, it's not in the best interests of Scotland to have the threat/promise of another referendum after every election.

The most militant Yessers, who want Independence, regardless of circumstances, may not care. In fact, they might appreciate the insecurity that brings, hoping that it will drive people to vote Yes just for the hope of a settled economy etc. However, most people, including a lot of Yes voters, just want what's best for Scotland, and are open to that being within the union. Having made the collective decision to stay in the Union, a lot of people would like to make a go of it. That needs planning that requires stability.
  • DerekPAgainDerekPAgain Posts: 2,708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barky99 wrote: »

Barky's right - I was helping develop fields which were considering this technology five years ago
  • barky99barky99 Posts: 3,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually, this isn't a clear cut thing. The researchers are actually after more money (investment) from the government, and the oil and gas industry.

"After 40 years of production, the North Sea oil reservoirs are now mature and in rapid decline. Urgent action is needed now.

"The Government and industry must invest in new gas and water technologies, in order to reverse that decline."

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/home-news/researchers-new-technologies-could-add-decades-to-life-span-of-north-sea-oil-reserves.1411552080?utm_source=www.heraldscotland.com&utm_medium=RSS%20Feed&utm_campaign=Home%20News
    the technology exists now & the old tech has I believe only extracted a small amount of the oil present, as little as 10% in some places - investment is going ahead right now at quite a pace (despite the politically manufactured doom/gloom) & would have been further ahead if there hadn't been multiple tax regime changes on industry over last decade -- it's not 'could add years to lifespan' it's 'lifespan already being added'

Think the recently upgraded Schiehallion oilfield has this kind of tech installed & Clair Ridge will have it when on stream
  • Black SheepBlack Sheep Posts: 15,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Why was this not mentioned by thms:D
  • kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Has he been back since the result?
  • CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kidspud wrote: »
    Still locked in a cupboard.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kidspud wrote: »

I saw him on a BBC thread where he stated it should be binned but he hasn't shown his face round here.

Probably sulking as his posts contained the central theme that everything done since 1979 was Scotland manifest destiny to be free and the odd post about Yes winning the referendum by a landslide.

It was pointed out several times to him that these decisions had nothing to do with independence but I think he really really really believed the SNP hype.

I'm sure he will pop up again in time for the GE where he will yet again enlighten us with links from all over the Yes Web.
  • BillyJamesTBillyJamesT Posts: 2,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Both thms and myself posted links to this new technique. It'll be interesting to see how things pan out now, Sturgeon will not accept anything short of the home rule Gordon Brown promised with the backing of the other three parties. This will include the dwindling and volatile oil being devolved. With the support of Scotland behind her like never before, and I'm assuming you'll be lending your weight to the support of home rule and as Brown described it a baw hair away from federalism.
  • BrawladBrawlad Posts: 5,711
    Forum Member
    *Sparkle* wrote: »
    To an extent. It would be ridiculous to suggest that there can never be another referendum again, ever. However, it's not in the best interests of Scotland to have the threat/promise of another referendum after every election.

The most militant Yessers, who want Independence, regardless of circumstances, may not care. In fact, they might appreciate the insecurity that brings, hoping that it will drive people to vote Yes just for the hope of a settled economy etc. However, most people, including a lot of Yes voters, just want what's best for Scotland, and are open to that being within the union. Having made the collective decision to stay in the Union, a lot of people would like to make a go of it. That needs planning that requires stability.

Actually it is. If the threat is there, even in the background, as we have seen, Westminster has to listen to the Scots and has to act. all good for Scotland
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32
    Forum Member
    If Scotland declared unilateral independence, they would not be ratified through the UN and therefore would not be entitled to any sea areas beyond 12 miles. 100% of the oil would therefore belong to rUK (that is beyond the 12 mile mark).
  • BrawladBrawlad Posts: 5,711
    Forum Member
    Squonk2000 wrote: »
    If Scotland declared unilateral independence, they would not be ratified through the UN and therefore would not be entitled to any sea areas beyond 12 miles. 100% of the oil would therefore belong to rUK (that is beyond the 12 mile mark).

Do you have any evidence for that "factoid"
  • onecitizenonecitizen Posts: 5,042
    Forum Member
    Squonk2000 wrote: »

How could a minority of people in Scotland claim UDI ? The majority voted against independence, the referendum wasn't that long ago have people forgotten the result already :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Both thms and myself posted links to this new technique. It'll be interesting to see how things pan out now, Sturgeon will not accept anything short of the home rule Gordon Brown promised with the backing of the other three parties. This will include the dwindling and volatile oil being devolved. With the support of Scotland behind her like never before, and I'm assuming you'll be lending your weight to the support of home rule and as Brown described it a baw hair away from federalism.

The SNP under Sturgeon also have to run the country in the next couple of years and plan for a Scottish ELECTION. I'm not sure their main priority is going to be independence.

That said I'm all for more powers.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    onecitizen wrote: »
    How could a minority of people in Scotland claim UDI ? The majority voted against independence, the referendum wasn't that long ago have people forgotten the result already :)

They can't simply declare UDI and it's becoming like some Month Python movie.
  • BillyJamesTBillyJamesT Posts: 2,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The SNP under Sturgeon also have to run the country in the next couple of years and plan for a Scottish ELECTION. I'm not sure their main priority is going to be independence.

That said I'm all for more powers.

I never mentioned independence! Home rule is what Westminster need to deliver, home rule is what Gordon Brown put on the table with the blessing of the three Westminster parties. Nothing less will be acceptable., as you would no doubt agree.
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    why not this .....

the SNP should change it's name to ..... THE SNP!!!

hear me out

the SCOTTISH NATIONALIST PARTY to the SCOTTISH NATION PARTY!

it would negate the "N" word and purport a better advertisement of the party
  • CoolSharpHarpCoolSharpHarp Posts: 7,565
    Forum Member
    I never mentioned independence! Home rule is what Westminster need to deliver, home rule is what Gordon Brown put on the table with the blessing of the three Westminster parties. Nothing less will be acceptable., as you would no doubt agree.

I wouldn't agree, the three parties vowed more powers, not a modern form of home rule - whatever that means.