Options

Gym thread

AdsAds Posts: 37,060
Forum Member
Thought it might be nice to start a thread to all of us who go to the gym. It is the worst time of the year at the moment to go to the gym as they always seem to get rammed in January with people who join as a new years resolution, but often bail out by Feb!

I would appreciate a bit of advice as well, I have always been naturally slim and am trying to get more toned. I have noticed a fair bit of improvement since joining the gym, but are those protein shakes worth taking? Am a bit worried that they might end up making me put on weight, rather than bulking up muscle!

Comments

• Options
    KindaKinda Posts: 4,288
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In my opinion, protein shakes and bars are just good old marketing ploys to get people to think they're eating/drinking healthy! Check out the calories on those things...a protein bar has more sugar in it than an old fashioned pick me upper like chocolate!

So saying I do eat this one particular protein bar...but only for it's taste...got hooked on it thru a friend and now I eat it like candy :o
  • Options
    Red OkktoberRed Okktober Posts: 10,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shouldn't this be in the gay forum?
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭

lol why? Do only Gays go to the gym now?!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting factoid: Gym membership (where I live anyway!), peaks in January and drops off by more than 50% after Valentine's day :D

Edited to add: where is the gay forum???
  • Options
    malaikahmalaikah Posts: 20,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Protein shakes are about speeding muscle recovery after training. If you are wanting to increase muscle mass (which will increase your weight, don't forget - an increase in either fat or muscle mass results in an overall weight increase) you firstly need to be pushing your muscles as far as they can go so essentially they are damaged. It is the recovery from this damage that increases the muscle mass. Protein shakes speed this process, by optimising protein uptake. The speeding of this process also depends on the protein being consumed within a particular time window.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I haven't noticed the gym getting too busy yet but I have been away this week so have probably missed the peak.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kinda wrote: »

There isn't one. There's a Gay thread in chatter though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FluffyEgg wrote: »
    There isn't one. There's a Gay thread in chatter though.

Thanks!
    malaikah wrote: »
    Protein shakes are about speeding muscle recovery after training. If you are wanting to increase muscle mass (which will increase your weight, don't forget - an increase in either fat or muscle mass results in an overall weight increase) you firstly need to be pushing your muscles as far as they can go so essentially they are damaged. It is the recovery from this damage that increases the muscle mass. Protein shakes speed this process, by optimising protein uptake. The speeding of this process also depends on the protein being consumed within a particular time window.

Hi Malaikah, I guess I understand that time window thing, but could you elaborate on the optimizing thing? I mean, wouldn't protein absorption be similar to calcium absorption...so does drinking a protein shake make other protein absorption faster or is it drunk for the protein in it?
  • Options
    BatPieBatPie Posts: 656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Protein shakes are good for muscle recovery, imo you can feel the difference in recovery if you do or dont use them, but you need to be working out hard enough to break muscle for it to be worthwhile or youre just drinking unnecessary calories.

You can always get protein from your diet, lean chicken, red meat, tuna are great sources and plenty of foods have protein in anyway, best if you can time your protein heavy foods after a workout. Theres nothing to stop you having half a protein shake as a smaller boost either imo.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 292
    Forum Member
    In my opinion, protein shakes and bars are just good old marketing ploys to get people to think they're eating/drinking healthy! Check out the calories on those things...a protein bar has more sugar in it than an old fashioned pick me upper like chocolate!

So saying I do eat this one particular protein bar...but only for it's taste...got hooked on it thru a friend and now I eat it like candy :o
    Well the idea of protein shakes and bars is to provide an easier, more convenient way to take in protein throughout the day between more conventional sources (fish, meat, dairy). They are not necessarily aimed at those looking to loose fat, rather they are targeted to those wanting to pack on a bit of muscle - for which calories are vital. I like to take in at least 180g daily so always have some protein powder in the cupboard for use straight after a workout.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    so does drinking a protein shake make other protein absorption faster or is it drunk for the protein in it?
    A protein shake means consuming high quality protein which is easily and quickly digestible. Some sources of protein are of a lesser quality that others, meaning gram for gram your body can use less/more of the protein than from other sources. Chicken is good quality, but protein shakes are made from whey of which 100% (I think, or near enough) of the protein is taken up and used by the body. Otherwise, it passes through the system before it can be utilised/digested.

'Optimum time window' means that the sooner after exercise you consume your protein, the quicker it can be taken to the muscles and used fully. As time after exercise progresses (15 mins in fact) the uptake and delivery time slows. So protein shakes are beneficial as they are: easily taken and digested (eating a chicken salad right after training is not always convenient or agreeable to the system, and the stomach must work and take time to digest!) and they are made up of the highest quality protein source.
  • Options
    trevalyantrevalyan Posts: 7,705
    Forum Member

er, all of it i think :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bonzo88 wrote: »
    Well the idea of protein shakes and bars is to provide an easier, more convenient way to take in protein throughout the day between more conventional sources (fish, meat, dairy). They are not necessarily aimed at those looking to loose fat, rather they are targeted to those wanting to pack on a bit of muscle - for which calories are vital. I like to take in at least 180g daily so always have some protein powder in the cupboard for use straight after a workout.

Makes sense, I just wonder about all that sugar in them tho..
    malaikah wrote: »
    A protein shake means consuming high quality protein which is easily and quickly digestible. Some sources of protein are of a lesser quality that others, meaning gram for gram your body can use less/more of the protein than from other sources. Chicken is good quality, but protein shakes are made from whey of which 100% (I think, or near enough) of the protein is taken up and used by the body. Otherwise, it passes through the system before it can be utilised/digested.

'Optimum time window' means that the sooner after exercise you consume your protein, the quicker it can be taken to the muscles and used fully. As time after exercise progresses (15 mins in fact) the uptake and delivery time slows. So protein shakes are beneficial as they are: easily taken and digested (eating a chicken salad right after training is not always convenient or agreeable to the system, and the stomach must work and take time to digest!) and they are made up of the highest quality protein source.

Thank you, that was very well explained and helpful :)

p.s. I will not feel guilt anymore with my protein bars intake!
    trevalyan wrote: »
    er, all of it i think :D

Find your inner woman Trevalyan...you know you want to :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,146
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i love going for a good work out - bit of cardio followed by muscle work (back, shoulders, chest, arms & legs split over 3 sessions) followed by a sauna to relax.

i usually go straight after work as its near my companys office - a great way to end the day....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

WTF! :confused:

Anyway, I'm determined to get fit this year, had enough of looking at people's figures and thinking "I want that", soon it's going to be "I have that" :D
  • Options
    minorityminority Posts: 625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You need to decide what your goal is...is it to tone up or increase muscle size and strength.

To tone up at the gym cardio for the fat burn, you maybe slim but technically if you can't see that six pack then you have a fat store above 10/11% reducing this can increase muscle definition. You will also have to do muscle training where you concentrate on high reps on lower weights.

To bulk up on muscle and strength I am afraid you will put on weight since muscle is lean. To do this have cardio to burn off excess fat but do alot more low rep heavy weights.

I would suggest doing compound exercises as these will train your main big muscle groups while also using your biceps and triceps.

here a link http://www.criticalbench.com/compound-exercises.htm

This is basically what I follow and I have seen increase in both my appearance even though I have put on weight my waist is still about the same my stomach is leaner and nearly have my fat down to about 10% although xmas has kind of knocked it a bit.

I use PHD Synergy as it is a all round supplement it makes sure I get all essential vitimans ,amino acids, protein and cretane that is required to help with building muscle. I take it under the advise of my ex personal trainer who pretty much said it was required to be able to make my goals because it pretty damn hard to take in all the requirement to increase weight and strength cleanly. it also has a carb content which replenishes your energy stores once you have finished or your body has a tendouncy to start to eat muscle to fix itself.

Diet is all important scrap the processed meats, bread and rice and eat complex carbs and lots of protein rich foods.

Currently I am eating alot of protein in with only carbs for breakfast (porridge) and my shakes for my energy store everything else is protein or veg as i am trying hard to reduce body fat down to a six pack (my ultimate goal)

Hope this helps....if I am wrong in anything sorry.

On the January thing, it a pain in the butt my local gym is at max capacity at moment with most machine full and they still showing people about can't wait for mid feb for all the people who can't hack it to drop out ( I am like an ex smoker I can;t see why people find it hard to loose weight I dropped 5st from being obese to athletic build through dedication and learning what is required to reach my goals and maintain it).

Luckly I don't need the assisted weight machines as they don't work the body enough and I don't always need the bench as I know enough exercises now that as long as I can get my hands on a bar or dumbells I am ok.....but still need the pull up bar which sadly there is only one of but it at least one thing the new people don't go near.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 77
    Forum Member
    I recently joined the Gym group in Manchester city centre as its just accross from my work and only £15p/m however I miss having a sauna and am considering going back to my old gym and paying the additional £20p/m for the added frills.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here's a bit of info about protein. :D

1) How much protein per day?
    Other than what type, this is the number one question when dealing with protein. Honestly there are no 100% accurate answers all are guidelines. This will try to review them all providing you with information to select what is good for your goals.

Method 1: 1gram per 1 lbs of lean muscle weight.
    Let’s take an example of a typical 150lbs man with 10% body fat. His lean mass is 150 – 15 (10% of 150) = 135 lbs. Therefore this man would require 135gram of protein per day using this method. The lean is only referring to the body fat. It does not take into account, bones, or other non muscles structures in the body.

Method 2: 1gram per 1 lbs of weight.
    To remove the limitation of trying to determine the body fat, people simplify the statement to remove the “lean muscle” portion making the number easier to calculate. Therefore the 150lbs man would target 150grams of protein per day.

Method 3: 0.5 gram per 1 lbs of weight.
    This number/formula is routinely given to people that are seriously obese as the 1gram per 1 lbs of weight will give a number that can be unmanageable as well as overwhelming. The BF% calculation from Method 1 would be to inaccurate and time consuming to accurately measure.
    Using the 150 man again the number would be 75 grams of protein per day.

Method 4: 1.5 to 2 gram per 1 lbs of weight.
    This number/formula is given out to people that are looking to increase their muscle mass. Typically the sources of this formula are other bodybuilders, protein supplement manufactures, friends bulking up etc... It does not take into account the %BF.
    The number for the 150lbs man wanting 1.5 gram per lbs is 225grams of protein per day.

My caloric approach.
    The above approaches provide a varying number based on weight and all have proof they work; However the weight to gram ratio leaves much too inaccuracies. Therefore I base it off the caloric needs, rather than looking at weight of the person.

For this example I chose 2000 calories, which is an average for an adult man doing no activity. The general nutritional guideline for a healthy adult male is to get their daily calories as 30-40% protein, 40-50% carbs and less than 20% from fat.

For the formula I use 40% protein, 50% carbs and 10% fat.
    2000 (calories) x 0.30 (percent of protein) / 4 (calories per gram of protein) = 150 grams of protein
    2000 (calories) x 0.40 (percent of protein) / 4 (calories per gram of protein) = 200 grams of protein

So 40% of 2000 is 800. This represents how many calories daily should come from protein. Since 1 gram of protein is 4 calories, 800 calories is 200 grams of protein. At 30% it is 150 grams of protein per day. This translates into 150 to 200 grams of protein required per day to meet the caloric need of 2000 calories.
    If the person does not consume the listed amount of protein, then in order to meet the target caloric needs the person would need to eat more carbs and/or more fat.

As the person needs more or less calories the formula self adjusted.
    Person needing 2500 calories:
    2500 (calories) x 0.30 (percent of protein) / 4 (calories per gram of protein) = 188 grams of protein
    2500 (calories) x 0.40 (percent of protein) / 4 (calories per gram of protein) = 250 grams of protein

My recommendation to the new health conscience person is:
    Honestly each approach has its benefits and drawbacks. My canned recommendation for a general health conscience person, not referring to the uber bodybuilder or one that has been controlling their nutrition for some time, is the simplest formulas: 1gram per 1 lbs of weight. This is a recommendation one can choose any or none of the methods above.

2a) Too much protein? Or What happens if you eat more protein than the body needs/requires?
    First we need to understand that the human body cannot store protein as protein. If you eat more calories than you need the body will convert most excess calories into fat and the rest as waste. The sources does not matter, be them from carbs, protein or fat calories. Protein requires a few extra steps then carbs and fat to be converted but in the end they will either be in the waste or converted to fat and stored.

Some argue that they don’t get converted to fat my response is why does the food industry give protein a caloric? because it is a food energy source as well as muscle building blocks. The lower caloric value per gram takes into account the fact that protein is harder to process/convert to fat or energy.

2b) Why not replace all fat calories with protein?
    Humans cannot live off protein alone as it does not contain all nutrients we require. If you have ever taken any survival courses one of the first thing taught is that wild game in the temperate climate zones may not have any fat in their meat (venison and rabbit to name 2). If one must live off these food sources they have to be careful. They are encouraged to eat the bone marrow and organs to get fat nutrients into the diet. Put simpler human being require carbs and fat to get all their nutrients. There are several minerals and vitamins that are only fat soluble. Carbs are the best source of food energy to keep your body moving. DO NOT CUT OUT CARBS!!!!

3) Are protein powders right for me?
    This question will not deal with the type of powders but the protein powders in general. As stated for this explanation a protein powder is a powder that contains a protein source and may include flavouring and/or digestive enzymes.
    First you need to calculate how much protein you are getting from whole foods during the day. Sites like www.nutritiondata.com are great source of information for raw ingredients and the nutrition labels found on other food items will have the protein easily listed.
    If your total grams of protein is lower then you want, you have the options of eating more whole foods or using protein powders. The powders are a quick way to get the protein into your system without the whole food meal and without any extra calories that may impede your goals.
    Many, me included, refer to the protein powder as a meal replacement, especially when mixed with low fat milk and/or fruit. They are quick and easy but that comes at a dollar value cost.

4a) How many meals should I replace?
    I never recommend all your meals be replaced with protein powders.
    ONE – Human cannot live on protein alone.
    TWO - If you are under the age of 22 your body is still growing and needs more then protein to grow to its full potential. Replacing all the meals with protein powder will require extra effort and vitamins supplements to get all your daily vitamins, minerals and nutrients. This can be very challenging to maintain and control. IMO the health risks of miss calculating far out weight any benefits.
    THREE - Your body is not designed to live on a liquid only diet. Your stomach and bowels need something to do and most protein powders today are very fast absorption. So much so that even though you met your caloric need you will always feel hungry. To avoid the mad hunger you need whole foods.
    Fodder or roughage is a requirement giving your stomach and bowels a workout to get the needed nutrients from the food source. Vegetables, fruit, whole grains, even lean meats, eggs and dairy will help fill you while they provide the other nutrients you need as well as please the digestion system.

4b) Should/can I add protein powder to every meal if I’m not reaching my protein goals?
    As before I would prefer you try getting the protein from whole foods that have all the required nutrients you need, but I know this can be difficult and maintain a caloric intake that does not destroy the mid section.
    If your meal is short protein, say your oatmeal in the morning, you can add a protein powder to the mix (let it cool a bit before mixing to prevent clumping) or added to your drink (milk or water). This way you can have a balanced meal and add protein without busting the caloric bank.

4c) If I take protein powders can I take them every day?
    If you have read all the above points and are sensible in your whole food consumption it is safe for an adult to consume protein powders every day. For teens I STRONGLY recommend whole foods for all the other benefits to your growing body. If you have too many calories the cut down on fat and carb (simple sugars) allowing more protein intake. Your LAST RESORT should be protein powders.

5a) When to consume protein?
    The simple answer is take your daily protein need, however you calculated it, and divide it by the number of meals you will have in a day.

If the 150lbs man stated earlier wants 150 grams of protein daily and he consume 6 meals a day each meal should contain 25grams of protein. If he did 3 meals he would need 50grams a meal to reach his target. One meal can have less and another more that is not a problem. It is easier if it’s evenly split allowing your muscles access to the protein as a building block.

6) How many grams of protein per meal?
    There are a lot of information out on the interweb on this topic also. I will simplify it drastically for this FAQ. A person consuming whole foods that is at a fitness level of beginning to intermediate will not require more than 50 grams a meal. 50 grams is an average of the data I have collected and most state after 50grams the protein will simply pass to waste. Put the flame guns down a minute and listen.
    The body can only digest food for a period of time; it must keep moving the food to make room for fresh food. At some point the body cannot squeeze every calorie from the food (law of diminishing return) and moves on to the next meal in the stomach. By the time the body has processed 50 grams of protein the food is almost out of the digestive tract into the waste management tract.
    Protein manufacturers do state much higher numbers because they state their protein recipe is easier and faster to absorb. This may be true but having small well spaced out meals does not require a large doze nor would I want more protein in my body then 40% of my daily calories.
    Now this is where the question of 5-6 meals a day comes into context. As previously stated the body cannot store protein as protein. It can store protein as fat but muscles cannot repair from fat nutrients efficiently. To help your muscles repair / regenerate / grow while weight training they require a steady supply of protein and their corresponding nutrients. Spacing the meals at 3 a day is acceptable for a beginner but at some point a plateau will be reached as protein is not readily available(it’s in the waste system) to help rebuild the muscles, hence the 5-6 small balanced meals will allow the small doses of protein to be available more efficiently. The plateau will take years to occur and you may reach your goals before the plateau.
    As teenager living at home the 3 meals a day will not negatively impact you. Once you are on your own and buying your food you will have more than enough opportunity to change to the 5-6 meals a day and meet your goals.
    Remember this is a guide not a recipe, pick and choose what you want leave the rest. If you want to prove me wrong please find the medical study done that I have not found.

7) I am using powders but want to get the most out of them, when should I take them?
    Pre-workout
    Most bodybuilders will state your body needs the protein pre and post work out and it cannot wait for the food protein to be digested. I agree with this in theory but not completely. First if you have a meal 30 minutes before your workout (pre workout meal) you will get nice food energy from the carbs and the protein will be in a digestion process ready to be called upon. So for me pre-workout out I have a whole food meal about 45 minutes before.

Post-workout.
    As I stated I like a pre-workout meal instead of a protein shake. Post work out is another story. After your energy stores are wiped out hydration is required and your muscles are aching. A good protein shake with a fruit hits the spot and gives the muscles what they require to start the repairing.
    There is no reason you could not have a whole food meal just remember you will be drained so you may want to have the meal ready to eat before you start your work out.

Bedtime
    I’m sure you have heard not to eat before going to bed as the food will turn to fat. There are truths to this but it is really dependent on the type of food and quantity not the time. The fact that the next meal is so far away (8+ hours) you need to give your digestion something and your muscles are still rebuilding hence requiring protein.
    You do not what anything with lots of sugars as this may impede your sleeping much like caffeine can. You also want to avoid something too heavy(a meal with lots of fat or carbs fall into this category) as the body will keep you awake as it digests, preventing a good night rest. You want something that is slow to digest but light about 30 minutes before you go to bed.

This is where protein can help the most. Protein from whole foods are slow to digest and will offer your system access to the protein much into the night. The proteins that are herald for this are from casein. Casein is naturally found in dairy products such as milk, yogourt, cottage cheese, etc.. (Remember to go for the low fat versions). Instead of paying extra for protein casein powder I simply mix my protein powder with low fat milk or go for the cottage cheese and black pepper, very tasty.

8 ) What is the difference between concentrate, isolate, etc?
    This is dealing further with the protein powder but is still a generic question asked often.

Concentrate
    Any protein listed as concentrate will contain anywhere from 70 to 85% protein source. This is not 70 to 85% of the powder in the container is protein, this is the protein raw ingredient is 70 to 85% before mixed with the other ingredients. The protein will still contain traces of fats, carbs and sugars from its source ingredient.
    For example whey protein concentrate still contains milk fats and lactose. The protein concentrate is by far the least expensive protein, this does not mean it is bad for you simply that is does contain more than protein and the process is so well known it is inexpensive to do.
    Many prefer concentrate for the cost as well as a more complete meal replacement due to the traces of fats and carbs. Typically it is the slowest of the powders to digest, great before bed.

Isolate
    Isolate is further refined from concentrate to increase how much protein is contained while decreasing the other trace fats and carbs. The protein of this type will have 90% or more protein from the raw ingredient.
    This type of protein refinement removes almost all traces of fat, carbs and makes the protein easier and faster to absorb into the body. Those that are lactose intolerant can usually tolerate whey protein as it contains little to no lactose. This protein process adds 50 to 100% more cost then compared to the concentrate. Many prefer this type post work out.
    Many popular brands contain a mix of concentrate and isolate to get the benefits of each type. To know how much of each check the manufacturer’s website but remember the ingredients are listed in order of the most to least in the product. So one listing isolate before concentrate has more isolate then concentrate. It could be as little at 1% more.

Micro filter, cold filtered, hydrolyzed etc...
    These are typically of the whey protein but can be seen on some new protein sources. These processes further refine isolate and may be manufacture patented or specific processes that are trademarked. All are trying to get to the 100% protein from source number and make the protein faster absorbing or remove all traces of non protein compounds.
    Since it is more processed than isolate the cost is also inflated accordingly, in some cases 100% or more than isolate.
    Too be honest there are very few people that will benefit from these types. Those that find the other types hard on their digestion (bloating, gas, cramps, etc) or those that are striving for peak muscle mass after many years of training. The average person wanting good health and considerable physique will do very well from whole foods, concentrate or isolate protein powder for many years.
  • Options
    AdsAds Posts: 37,060
    Forum Member
    Thanks for all the information. Ideally what I'd like to do is be reasonably toned without worrying about having to take protein shakes/bars etc. I know I won't get a body like Ronaldo doing this (I suspect I would have to work out far more than 2-3 times a week as well to look like that!), but I might see how much my body has come on in a couple of months, then decide if I need to try taking on extra protein. I enjoy eating out etc and don't really want to have to change my diet if I don't need to.

I've only started making an effort at goiong to the gym 2-3 times a week for the last couple of months and I have noticed some improvement, and I seem to have put on about 3kg as well, which is muscle, rather than fat.

As for cardio I don't really bother doing the cardio machines in the gym, I play football twice a week which is a lot more enjoyable for me than those sweaty machines!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have been going to the gym for around 3 years, in that time i have lost nearly 3 stone, to be honest its changed my life completely, I used to spend around 15 hours a week working out but since i have lost the bulk of my weight i have dropped that to 9 hours.

I'm asthmatic and i have almost had no problems since i have been working out.

I notice a huge rise in people in the gym usually the first 2 weeks of January but as you say they are normally gone in a few weeks, its good to see people trying tho.

As for the protein shakes/ bars i have never bothered and i dont really see the point. I usually drink water during my work out and have something rich in protein after my workout.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I get my stuff from myprotein.com usually, always have good prices.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,252
    Forum Member
    So what do we talk about in the gym thread? :p

I am an active gym user. I don't know how people can cope without regular exersize.

I usually go 5 times a week I do gym, swim and classes. I also hate the gym in january. It is far too busy and full of people who you just know wont be back!
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I get my stuff from myprotein.com usually, always have good prices.

I love MP's Instant Oats, usually have it with Phd's Chocolate Pharma-Whey first thing in the morning and post workout. Delicious.

Not a fan of their Bedtime Extreme, still good stuff though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HollyG wrote: »
    So what do we talk about in the gym thread? :p
    Don't know really :p I'm training for a fight at the end of February, so down the gym 5 x nights a week 'til I puke :o:D
  • Options
    Turnbull2000Turnbull2000 Posts: 7,588
    Forum Member
    I'm currently working in Edinburgh, and the gym I'm using recently installed two wall hung punch bags. Other than occasional boxersise down during beach training last summer, I hadn't really done any combat training. I was shocked at just how demanding it is. The cardio workout is just immense! I'm now breaking up my gym sessions with 15 minutes of intense punches and kicks. It's really livened up what often feels like a dull winter training routine. I can't recommend punch bags enough!