"There has always been a sing-off when there are five people left in the competition"

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,279
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Quote from Simon in today's Sun

Ruth Lorenzo....5th placed...left on public votes alone...

Get your facts right Mr Cowell! Some of us don't have the memory of a gold fish!

Comments

• 027huds027huds Posts: 12,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Add to that list Chico (series 2), Hope (series 4) and Lloyd (series 6). There has not always been a sing off at 5th place. At least come up with some half clever bullsh*t, Simon.

Plus the fact is that this explanation doesn't make the evidence just disappear into thin air. We need more than that, especially after Dermot said "your votes and your votes alone".
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    027huds wrote: »
    Add to that list Chico (series 2), Hope (series 4) and Loyd (series 6). There has not always been a sing off at 5th place. At least come up with some half clever bullsh*t, Simon.

Plus the fact is that this explanation doesn't make the evidence just disappear into thin air. We need more than that, especially after Dermot said "your votes and your votes alone".

You may need more than that but it is highly unlikely you are going to get more than that.
  • C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Add to that list Chico (series 2), Hope (series 4) and Loyd (series 6). There has not always been a sing off at 5th place. At least come up with some half clever bullsh*t, Simon.

Dermot says things like that every week. Had he said "your votes and your votes alone will determine who leaves the competition", then you might have a point. Alas, he did not and what he said was something about acts safely progressing.
  • spkxspkx Posts: 14,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

If you're going to quote Dermot quote him in full...

"your votes and your votes alone... determine who safely goes through"

Just like the week before he said

"Your votes alone... guarantee your favourite act through"
  • 027huds027huds Posts: 12,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vidalia wrote: »
    You may need more than that but it is highly unlikely you are going to get more than that.

Of course I know that. There's no way we'll get a reasonable explanation. I just wish in that case they wouldn't bother at all with piss poor excuses like the one Simon has given, which isn't even true.
  • MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    Correction - there never has been a sing off with five acts left. Does Simon think we all have amnesia as well as being stupid?

The absolute misinformation they are coming out with now shows they know the messed up. Problem is most of the public are stupid enough to believe them.

PS Surely Simon hasn’t forgotten last year – when Lloyd went out in the public vote in the last 5 (no sing off) and Olly did his yobbish celebratory cheer when he made it through
  • Nicola37Nicola37 Posts: 2,136
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    Correction - there never has been a sing off with five acts left. Does Simon think we all have amnesia as well as being stupid?

The absolute misinformation they are coming out with now shows they know the messed up. Problem is most of the public are stupid enough to believe them.

PS Surely Simon hasn’t forgotten last year – when Lloyd went out in the public vote in the last 5 (no sing off) and Olly did his yobbish celebratory cheer when he made it through

If I couldn't quite remember exactly what happened previous series, then I certainly remember that moment, it came down to Olly and Lloyd as last man standing on stage (NOT necessarily the bottom 2, in fact Olly was third that night) and Dermot announced Lloyd as the lowest votes. As he then did with Danyl the next week.

Simon must be reliant on the public not remembering things from one week to the next, and he's probably right, the MAJORITY of X Factor fans, not the ones who post on forums, probably when reading that statement, probably will just nod in agreement and go 'oh yeah' without really thinking about it.

I don't ever go in for conspiracy theories and I'm still reluctant to shout 'fix' but why the vagueness and confusion?
    With them never having a semi final sing off, it's reasonable to assume most people thought there wouldn't be one regardless of how many contestants there were, and it's clear from the amount of people posting on the forums at the time that the only time the X Factor made it abundantly clear there was going to be a sing off to the VIEWERS was when Dermot said 'who will sing again in the final showdown'.

I know they can and will do what the like but that left a bad taste in my mouth, it wasn't right, almost like they were deliberately deceptive. It may well have been planned but they certainly didn't make it clear to the viewer
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,667
    Forum Member

There have been, technically - in series 1 & 3, it only went to the public vote when there were four left. (However, in both of these years, there were only two in the final, and the public were in control from the quarter-final onwards.)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes there has. Series 1 there was and series 3 at least
    The absolute misinformation they are coming out with

You can hardly talk...
  • Chisato GeesteChisato Geeste Posts: 20,654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cowell is lying and it is irrelevant anyway.
  • River_TamRiver_Tam Posts: 10,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    well there wasn't a sing off when they'd been whittled down to five the two series that I watched!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The past is irrelevant, they can do more or less what they like within their own rules anyway as long as they don't break any Ofcom regulations which they clearly haven't no matter how people are interpreting it.
  • lovecat86lovecat86 Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member
    spkx wrote: »

You can hardly talk...

Why do people defend Simon so visciously? He said 'ALWAYS' and this is incorrect.
  • RodriguezMan267RodriguezMan267 Posts: 28,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sikon is a complete joke. He doesn't even know his own show! Lunatic!
  • RodriguezMan267RodriguezMan267 Posts: 28,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You can hardly talk...
    Series 1 had 9 acts genius. :p
  • MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member

You can hardly talk...

I am too young to remember series 1 and 3:D

I do remember series 5 and 6 though!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lovecat86 wrote: »
    Why do people defend Simon so visciously? He said 'ALWAYS' and this is incorrect.

Excuse me?:confused:

I'm not talking about Simon at all? :confused:

I was replying to a poster who sid that there had never been a sing off with 5 remaining, that is incorrect.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kyri wrote: »
    Series 1 had 9 acts genius. :p

Series 3 didn't.

However I'm not sure what that matters, this series had 16, so therefore we should expect it to be different, no?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am too young to remember series 1 and 3:D

I do remember series 5 and 6 though!

It was much better back then :p

I remember the one in S1 because Sharon had to choose between her own acts
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was much better back then :p

I remember the one in S1 because Sharon had to choose between her own acts

Tabby and Cassie wasn't it? I remember that too because she had only said in the papers a couple days before if the bottom 2 was Tabby and Cassie then she wasn't going to vote.

I agree it was much better, it was more like Pop Idol and more about the talent, there certainly wasn't over blown productions with cars and skate ramps back then. I think the most people got in terms of production was a choir.

I think the actual talent pool has got better since series 1 I must say but it is overshadowed by the need to be a good TV show now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nicola37 wrote: »
    Tabby and Cassie wasn't it? I remember that too because she had only said in the papers a couple days before if the bottom 2 was Tabby and Cassie then she wasn't going to vote.

I agree it was much better, it was more like Pop Idol and more about the talent, there certainly wasn't over blown productions with cars and skate ramps back then. I think the most people got in terms of production was a choir.

I think the actual talent pool has got better since series 1 I must say but it is overshadowed by the need to be a good TV show now.

You are forgetting Tabby's 'Sweet Child of Mine' with the VT in the background of his child - the worst thing they have ever done I think.
  • lulu glulu g Posts: 52,644
    Forum Member
    If you're going to quote Dermot quote him in full...

"your votes and your votes alone... determine who safely goes through"

Just like the week before he said

"Your votes alone... guarantee your favourite act through"
    So what exactly did Dermot mean by this if not 'The act with the fewest votes will be eliminated and the other four will go through to the final'? If that was not his meaning, they deliberately misled the viewers.
  • ArtyAttackArtyAttack Posts: 67,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Cant believe that Simon thinks the public will accept his pathetic explanation which proves to be false anyway.The judges never decide who gets to the Final in the penultimate show.
  • BillieABillieA Posts: 686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They were always going to go to any lengths to get these four acts into the final. They were the whole point of having a four act final.
    Nicola37 wrote: »
    I think the actual talent pool has got better since series 1

In general, though every series until this one has had a contestant or two who would have stood out in any series. The general standard has taken a dive this year.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lulu g wrote: »
    So what exactly did Dermot mean by this if not 'The act with the fewest votes will be eliminated and the other four will go through to the final'? If that was not his meaning, they deliberately misled the viewers.

Yes he could have added "but don't worry if your act comes bottom, there might still be a chance for the judges to put them through!"

I get all this it was planned in advance blah blah but the issue I have, like others, is the show was deliberately vague, not even at the start of the results show did Dermot mention anything about a sing off. And given there has never been a sing off to decide the final place in the final, it's reasonable to assume the 15 million people watching didn't expect one either. Look at the moment on here Dermot finally said "will sing in the final showdown", it caused uproar, and it will certainly have provoked a bit of a 'huh?' reaction at the least to most people watching.

I have to say I WAS worried on the Saturday, that I didn't notice Dermot doing his usual song and dance about 'the judge's losing their power' and wondered if they were possibly going to sneak a 'sing off' in. I said this on Sunday morning on here but certainly to the casual viewer no one expected a semi final sing off this weekend. Yes X factor can change the rules at any times, I just think it stinks it was not made crystal clear to the viewers at any stage before the lines closed.