What are you reading at the moment? (Part 4)

Comments

• miss_astridmiss_astrid Posts: 1,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just finished reading The Death House by Sarah Pinborough - couldn't put it down, first book in a while that's been like that for me. Thoroughly recommend it, although the ending did not pan out as I wanted it to. :(

Just started reading After Anna by Alex Lake - only a few chapters in at the moment so can't really comment on it yet.

Also waiting for the book The Queen's Speech: An Intimate Portrait of the Queen in Her Own Words by Ingrid Seward, on order from the local library. Think that will be quite an interesting read. :)
  • moonlilymoonlily Posts: 7,874
    Forum Member
    The Wrath of Angels by John Connolly- seems promising.
  • luckylilaluckylila Posts: 3,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just finished reading The Death House by Sarah Pinborough - couldn't put it down, first book in a while that's been like that for me. Thoroughly recommend it, although the ending did not pan out as I wanted it to. :(

Just started reading After Anna by Alex Lake - only a few chapters in at the moment so can't really comment on it yet.

Also waiting for the book The Queen's Speech: An Intimate Portrait of the Queen in Her Own Words by Ingrid Seward, on order from the local library. Think that will be quite an interesting read. :)

Not heart of this before but I've just checked it out and like the sound of it, so added it to my list. Thanks for posting. :)
  • wildholliewildhollie Posts: 3,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    moonlily wrote: »
    The Wrath of Angels by John Connolly- seems promising.

Love his books, I just re-read the Charlie Parker series recently on my kindle. Have you read any of the others ?
  • d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Lies we Told - Diane Chamberlain. Her books are always enjoyable and easy reads,
  • dosanjh1dosanjh1 Posts: 8,727
    Forum Member
    Disclaimer by Renee Knight.

The recent fad of female protagonists with memory 'disruptions' etc led me to this book. It starts of slow but i'm about 20% through now and it's starting to kick off and becoming the page turner I was looking for.

She's a good writer but the narrative is not as tight as I would of wished for.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/books/11506207/Being-likened-to-Gone-Girl-is-a-great-thing-but-no-ones-bought-my-book-yet.html
  • nethwennethwen Posts: 23,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've finished reading The Secret Adversary by Agatha Christie.

Also The Thirty-Nine Steps by John Buchan.
  • ChristmasCakeChristmasCake Posts: 26,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm currently reading Stormbird from Conn Iggulden's War of the Roses series. Because I'm a genius, I read Trinity first, which is the sequel to Stormbird..
  • ReddybookReddybook Posts: 281
    Forum Member
    Us - David Nicholls
    Not sure about this. Brilliant observations, heartbreaking and maddening moments, with dull passages inbetween
  • AnnieJayAnnieJay Posts: 2,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Angels - Marian Keyes
  • bbclassicsbbclassics Posts: 7,806
    Forum Member
    nethwen wrote: »
    Also The Thirty-Nine Steps by John Buchan.

Really like this one, the shortness of it also makes it a good book to re-read.

I'm currently reading Murder in the Mews by Agatha Christie
  • RyJaRyJa Posts: 900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Finished two books on holiday

The Lady of Misrule - a book about Lady Jane Grey's imprisonment which I did enjoy but was a little slow I some places

The Girl on the Train - which I finished in just over a day. Loved the book.
  • NickelbackNickelback Posts: 23,764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Claimed - Evangeline Anderson
  • ACUACU Posts: 9,104
    Forum Member
    Undone by Karin Slaughter
  • ReddybookReddybook Posts: 281
    Forum Member
    The Summons - John Grisham
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,916
    Forum Member
    I've reserved "Dark Places" by Gillian Flynn at my local library. I'm picking it up on Monday. :)
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have downloaded about 10 golden age sf collections on to my nook reader, 46p each, and dipping in and out of these. Fantastic.
  • clm2071clm2071 Posts: 6,637
    Forum Member
    Eagles at War by Ben Kane

Roman novel set in 9AD Germania.
  • Beautiful_HarvBeautiful_Harv Posts: 9,144
    Forum Member
    Lissa Evans - Crooked Heart
  • ToriabelleToriabelle Posts: 315
    Forum Member
    I'm currently re-reading Jane Austen's Pride & Prejudice.
  • PuckyPucky Posts: 4,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've started reading the Tiffany Aching series from Sir Terry Pratchett in readiness to reading his final Discworld novel The Shepherd's Crown. I've read Wee Free Men and am now on A Hatful of Sky.
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,315
    Forum Member
    Just finished Kolymsky Heights by Lionel Davidson.

Entertaining enough thriller, but not up to its reputation. A bit too drawn out
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,916
    Forum Member
    It turns out that three other people have reserved "Dark Places" before me meaning that I could be waiting for nearly three months before reading it.

I've just bought it on Amazon instead.
  • Sue_CSue_C Posts: 1,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've put the Thorn Birds to one side for the time being because my husband has bought me Terry Pratchett's final Discworld novel. The Shepherd's Crown features Tiffany Aching and I'm about half way through. I've always enjoyed the witches books best, this one gets off to rather a sad start and it feels as though it was intended to be the last book in the series. There have been appearances from some of Discworld' s most well known characters and it looks as though there are more to follow.
  • Patti-AnnPatti-Ann Posts: 22,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Other Queen - Phillipa Gregory