Alan Henning killed

clinchclinch Posts: 11,574
Forum Member
✭✭
Very sad.
Isis militants have released a video purporting to show the beheading of British aid volunteer Alan Henning.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/alan-henning-beheading-isis-video-appears-to-show-murder-of-british-aid-worker-9774009.html

Comments

• CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bastards. Poor guy.
  • Pat_SmithPat_Smith Posts: 2,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't even see the logic. If it's a Britain or an American, there's no ransom money. The ransom isn't unpaid, with the killing as a warning to pay or else face the consequences. There's nothing for them to gain.
  • Tony RichardsTony Richards Posts: 5,742
    Forum Member
    Disgusting and it will continue while the western world pussy foots around and follows the old rules. When will any real action against these evil people begin?
  • Net NutNet Nut Posts: 10,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Disgusting and it will continue while the western world pussy foots around and follows the old rules. When will any real action against these evil people begin?

Proper war?
  • Cheetah666Cheetah666 Posts: 16,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Poor man. And he only went out there as an aid worker to try and help refugees.
  • AndyCopenAndyCopen Posts: 2,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No point trying to feed a crocodile. It usually ends in tears.
  • redcherryredcherry Posts: 12,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Condolences to his family. Shocking news. Very upsetting
  • LateralthinkingLateralthinking Posts: 8,027
    Forum Member
    Awful.

I do think the words of some British Muslim leaders about changing the name of Islamic State need to be seriously considered. I would prefer that they were referred to as bandits, or similar, inside Syria and Iraq.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 215
    Forum Member
    It's just barbaric. Ok, they might argue that it's all down to US (or The West's) intervention in their region, but ultimately, that doesn't excuse murdering innocent people. (And yes, you could argue that we do the same by bombing, bit really, we're not targetting civilians.)
    I can't argue against military action continuing as I can't see any other way of stopping this.
  • OLD HIPPY GUYOLD HIPPY GUY Posts: 28,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think you will find it's these barbaric murdering bastards who "follow the old rules" we fortunately are 'civilised' (it says here) and it's because we find the "old rules" so utterly vile that there is such outrage about the behaviour and actions of these dark age primitives with guns and and tanks, (because that's exactly what they are)

IF we adopted the same ruthless brutality towards anyone not of "our religion" as these butchers use, then, we would soon not be quite so 'offended and outraged' at their actions, because we would be doing exactly the same thing to them,

What I am saying is, aren't we supposed to be "the good guys"? the civilised ones? what are we if become the thing we hate and the thing that hates us?
    Would they not have won?
    I despise these religious extremist bigots as much as anyone else, I just don't want to us becoming what they are.
    We have the weapons the technology and the will, to defeat this filth without the need to resort to beheading defenceless unarmed civilians and videoing it.
    It might take a long time and cost a lot of money but if we (the wast and other nations who are against this scum) stay determined and united, they really have no chance of getting their way.
  • Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Utter scum. My thoughts are with the family of an ordinary man who just wanted to make the world a better place. In a world of shallow icons he was truly inspirational. I just hope that those that carried out this barbaric act one day face justice for what they did.
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pat_Smith wrote: »
    I don't even see the logic. If it's a Britain or an American, there's no ransom money. The ransom isn't unpaid, with the killing as a warning to pay or else face the consequences. There's nothing for them to gain.

They hope to cause fear and division , they also want a ground war as they said on a video, they are goading the alliance who are bombing them and if they react with a ground war they then hope they will get sympathy for their cause from worlwide Muslims who they now claim to be the people they should all answer to.
  • steves lasssteves lass Posts: 475
    Forum Member
    I am appalled, not only by the fact that this good man has been murdered but moreso by the fact that the wimpy BBC saw fit to have this morning's 06.00 "Prayer for Today" delivered by a Muslim cleric. I realise that the vast majority of the Islamic world are condemning IS but I still feel it was a bit insensitive. What do you think?
  • MeepersMeepers Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member
    I am appalled, not only by the fact that this good man has been murdered but moreso by the fact that the wimpy BBC saw fit to have this morning's 06.00 "Prayer for Today" delivered by a Muslim cleric. I realise that the vast majority of the Islamic world are condemning IS but I still feel it was a bit insensitive. What do you think?
    Not in the slightest. The Muslim world has been equally if not even more appalled by the whole event. Why should the religion on prayer for today be of even the slightest consequence to anyone? Unless you want religious division?
  • jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,546
    Forum Member

I think we should avoid blaming Muslims generally for Mr Henning's death. The BBC did nothing wrong.
  • AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

If you mean Thought for the Day on R4, I heard it and thought it was perfectly acceptable.

It made me think.
  • GTR DavoGTR Davo Posts: 4,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Net Nut wrote: »
    Proper war?

a Nuclear bomb or 5 would be nice!!
  • glasshalffullglasshalffull Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I wonder if poor Mr Henning would agree with you...I suspect he would not since he clearly rose above matters of race/religion to see what really mattered in this world...doing more than his "bit" for others born out of common humanity.
  • jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,546
    Forum Member

What kind of action are you suggesting?
  • Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jjwales wrote: »
    What kind of action are you suggesting?
    "Boots on the ground" presumably.
  • tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    I think we should avoid blaming Muslims generally for Mr Henning's death. The BBC did nothing wrong.
    I agree 100%
  • Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We should stop referring to IS in any terms that links them to Islam except as an enemy of Islam. Using words like "Jihad" implies that they have a Just Cause.

Put in a theological context IS are "quoting scripture". They are the Devil, the Subtle Serpent.
  • tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    Pat_Smith wrote: »

What the uk and usa governments say in public is one thing, but do deals with terrorist all the time
  • angarrackangarrack Posts: 5,493
    Forum Member
    Ethel_Fred wrote: »
    We should stop referring to IS in any terms that links them to Islam except as an enemy of Islam. Using words like "Jihad" implies that they have a Just Cause.

I'm having difficulty thinking of a "just cause" which would warrant a holy war. Have you any examples?
  • DJGAVTDJGAVT Posts: 197
    Forum Member
    You can't talk with ISIS as they don't really want anything. They are just a bunch of idiots that are doing this because they get off on it. It's nothing to do with religion or politics like other terrosit causes.