Options

BBC News

SjsyeySjsyey Posts: 295
Forum Member
Anyone turning their TVs on for the BBC news at 10 tonight could be reasonably expected to think that a strike was taking place, with a presenter many viewers will have never seen before, and who is not very good at his job.
Unfortunately what they were actually seeing was the BBC's view that having a presenter on the main news from every possible ethnic minority is more important that having a competent presenter.
I feel sorry for Simon McCoy as the BBC clearly don't want white english men appearing on TV to the extent that he is the ONLY one that now has a slot on either BBC1 news, or even the News Channel (the only men with permanent slots being him Clive Myrie (who rarely turns up and is black) and Gavin Esler (whose Scottish)) and this is out of at least 13 presenters with permanent slots (Being Simon, Clive, Gavin, and (Welsh) Huw Edwards, along with Martine Croxall, Emily Maitlis, Jane Hill, Sophie Raworth, Fiona Bruce, Reeta Chakrabarti, Mishal Husain, Annita Mcveigh and Joanna Gosling

Comments

• Options
    msimmsim Posts: 2,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP, your own words humiliate yourself more than anyone else ever could...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    OK it was probably worded badly but all 4 of the presenters who no longer have regular shifts on the news channel were White Males, which suggests that there is at least an unintentional preference for avoiding them.
    All of the presenters that have appeared on the news channel today are also more qualified than Clive to present the News at 10, Jane Hill has presented it on a number of occasions and seems to be very good at it, Simon McCoy also has substantial experience presenting on both the News Channel and BBC1 and could probably be called the main presenter of the news at 1 at the minute, Joanna Gosling has presented on the news channel for many years, as well as previously presenting weekend bullitins on bbc1 and being the main relief on the Victoria Derbyshire programme, and Julian Worricker has presented a variety of programmes on both TV and Radio for decades. In comparison Cluve has only been a presenter since 2010, and only been a weekday presenter since 2013, and even now is not a daytime presenter on the news channel, who have always been seen as the higher ranking presenters.
  • Options
    JordyDJordyD Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Clive Myrie isn't a great presenter. But he's no worse than Huw Edwards.

However the BBC is renowned for being 'old white men'.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The BBC from the 80's may have been all old white men, which is clearly unacceptable, but it's also an outdated stereotype, which will go away in time, but the way to solve it doesn't involve having no old white men.
    And I disagree with him being no worse than Huw Edwards, who at least seems interested and knowledgable in most of the news, which is as important as reading of the autocue (or Ellie Crisell could present the 10 o clock news).
    Personally I'd like to see a team of Sophie Raworth, Fiona Bruce, Simon McCoy, Jane Hill, and Emily Maitlis present the main bulletins M-F with the same presenters as well as Mishal Husain present at the weekend.
  • Options
    steviemsteviem Posts: 1,524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a tit OP.

I assume that you know what the first "B" stands for in BBC. Nothing to do with being English, Scottish, Welsh, Irish, or being of Asian or African ethnic background for that matter.

Oh, and welcome to 2015.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sjsyey wrote: »
    The BBC from the 80's may have been all old white men, which is clearly unacceptable, but it's also an outdated stereotype, which will go away in time, but the way to solve it doesn't involve having no old white men.
    And I disagree with him being no worse than Huw Edwards, who at least seems interested and knowledgable in most of the news, which is as important as reading of the autocue (or Ellie Crisell could present the 10 o clock news).
    Personally I'd like to see a team of Sophie Raworth, Fiona Bruce, Simon McCoy, Jane Hill, and Emily Maitlis present the main bulletins M-F with the same presenters as well as Mishal Husain present at the weekend.

So the only one in that list that's not white, is relegated to weekends?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    JordyD wrote: »
    So the only one in that list that's not white, is relegated to weekends?

Because she presents the today programme during the week, I don't rate Clive and Reeta Chakrabarti, and there isn't really anyone else. Yes she could leave today but that would be removing diversity from 1 programme to give it to another.
    But weirdly I hadn't though of the presenters race or gender, more their talent, and unfortunately a massive team would be needed to ensure their was complete diversity, which would be a complete waste of resources.
    Also I'd like to see the news be more of a 7 day operation with the same length and quality of programme broadcast 7 days a week, as many recent weekend news bulitins have felt rushed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The people who present should only be the who is best for the job, not because they're ticking boxes.

Its also a preference to have presenters who's face doesn't look like a smacked arse (Huw and Simon McCoy).
  • Options
    popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    Wow.... I have no words! Just wow
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think those producing Newsday need to get a life. They keep banging on about a new studio in Singapore - wow get over yourselves. It looks a like a poor imitation of the London sets - and do you really think your viewers really care? Every show they mention it.
  • Options
    davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pinches himself hard and throws cold water on his face......

no, I haven't woken up in 1972, people really still do have believes like the OP.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sjsyey wrote: »
    Anyone turning their TVs on for the BBC news at 10 tonight could be reasonably expected to think that a strike was taking place, with a presenter many viewers will have never seen before, and who is not very good at his job.
    Unfortunately what they were actually seeing was the BBC's view that having a presenter on the main news from every possible ethnic minority is more important that having a competent presenter.
    I feel sorry for Simon McCoy as the BBC clearly don't want white english men appearing on TV to the extent that he is the ONLY one that now has a slot on either BBC1 news, or even the News Channel (the only men with permanent slots being him Clive Myrie (who rarely turns up and is black) and Gavin Esler (whose Scottish)) and this is out of at least 13 presenters with permanent slots (Being Simon, Clive, Gavin, and (Welsh) Huw Edwards, along with Martine Croxall, Emily Maitlis, Jane Hill, Sophie Raworth, Fiona Bruce, Reeta Chakrabarti, Mishal Husain, Annita Mcveigh and Joanna Gosling
    Words fail me, they really do. :(
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    popeye13 wrote: »
    Wow.... I have no words! Just wow

Well I do. The OP suggested that for a change, someone observed something and was honest enough to say something about it. I have no problem with ethnic presenters - but I do have a problem with over representation of them. The BBC is diverse and that is commendable, but they have got the balance totally wrong. If you cant accept that then fine, but others do.
  • Options
    i4ui4u Posts: 54,990
    Forum Member
    wizzywick wrote: »
    Well I do. The OP suggested that for a change, someone observed something and was honest enough to say something about it. I have no problem with ethnic presenters - but I do have a problem with over representation of them. The BBC is diverse and that is commendable, but they have got the balance totally wrong. If you cant accept that then fine, but others do.

And Sky News?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i4u wrote: »
    And Sky News?

How many ethnic presenters by comparison do Sky News have? And ITV? As I say, ethnic presenters are absolutely fine, but all I would say is just keep your staffing wholly representative to the audience you are trying to reach out too.
  • Options
    CAMERA OBSCURACAMERA OBSCURA Posts: 8,023
    Forum Member

Are they not British these ethnics?

How can Britsh people be over represented

Clive Myrie born in Bolton. He wasnt plucked from the port of Calais last week.

How is the balance of British people wrong exactly? Do you mean too many blacks on the TV?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are they not British these ethnics?

How can Britsh people be over represented

Clive Myrie born in Bolton. He wasnt plucked from the port of Calais last week.

How is the balance of British people wrong exactly? Do you mean too many blacks on the TV?

Yes. You know exactly what I meant so why try and provoke? It matters not whether they're born in Britain. It is about ratio. I dare say you will now use the PC card, the luvvie liberal stance of calling me racist as you try and seek the moral high ground.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes. You know exactly what I meant so why try and provoke? It matters not whether they're bit in Britain. It is about ratio. I dare say you will now use the PC card, the luvvie liberal stance of calling me racist as you try and seek the moral high ground.

Yes I know exactly what you mean.

You say there are too many 'ethnic' people on TV. What are the figures you have to arrive at that conclusion. For example. How is the amount of ethnics (British or not) disproportionate to the amount white people (British or not) on the BBC? How does it measure up to your ratio?

Do you have a firm number of white British presenters compared to non white British presenters?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I know exactly what you mean.

You say there are too many 'ethnic' people on TV. What are the figures you have to arrive at that conclusion. For example. How is the amount of ethnics (British or not) disproportionate to the amount white people (British or not) on the BBC? How does it measure up to your ratio?

Do you have a firm number of white British presenters compared to non white British presenters?

I have eyes and can see it. I dont need figures, just an honest outlook rather than a PC one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How many ethnic presenters by comparison do Sky News have? And ITV? As I say, ethnic presenters are absolutely fine, but all I would say is just keep your staffing wholly representative to the audience you are trying to reach out too.

I like how you say that 'ethnic presenters are absolutely fine', like they're something different to begin with...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I have eyes and can see it. I dont need figures, just an honest outlook rather than a PC one.

So what is the ratio?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JordyD wrote: »
    I like how you say that 'ethnic presenters are absolutely fine', like they're something different to begin with...

Only because of the context of this thread which is about ethnic presenters.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So what is the ratio?

Watch BBC News and you will see. There were 7 ethnics on one day compared to one white. If it was the other way round would that be acceptable?

Although in contrast, there were no ethnics at all during the election coverage. So as I was replying to a poster who pretended to be shocked by the OP.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only because of the context of this thread which is about ethnic presenters.

The only context of this thread is that Clive Myrie is a crap presenter end of. That's all that matters.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Watch BBC News and you will see. There were 7 ethnics on one day compared to one white. If it was the other way round would that be acceptable?

7 ethnics..., in one day. Cripes. Were these 'ethnics' main presenters? Part of BBC world news, reporting from foreign places? And only one white presenter in 24 hours of BBC news....I think you made that up didn't you.

How does this figure in your ratio?

http://tvnewsroom.org/bbc/bbc-news/bbc-national-presenters-4315/

Too many..not enough?

Ive had BBC news on since 8 oclock...not seen one 'ethnic' main presenter.