Is Humax and Sagemcom now the only boxes that has Freesat+?

AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have noticed that in so many outlets, you can only buy the Humax 1100S for recording from Freesat and Sagemcom for a more basic model.

Have Manhattan stopped manufacturing the recordable version of their basic box and the Bush version is also no longer available in Argos other than the basic version without the Freesat+ facility?

Comments

• Dr.OliverTwichDr.OliverTwich Posts: 1,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like that is the case, currently

http://www.freesat.co.uk/get-freesat/all-boxes

The buying market is fairly small for these PVRs cf Freeview. Many are happy to subscribe to $ky and others don't care / want the freesat epg so buy a free to air satellite recorder... (though that's a smaller still market in the UK).
  • ds_readerds_reader Posts: 10,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have Manhattan withdrawn their commitment to produce Freetime boxes announced by Freesat 2 years ago, following their announcement to produce Freeview Play boxes?

Is this due to the low level of Freesat sales since the Freesat announcement?
  • davemurgatroyddavemurgatroyd Posts: 13,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ds_reader wrote: »
    Have Manhattan withdrawn their commitment to produce Freetime boxes announced by Freesat 2 years ago, following their announcement to produce Freeview Play boxes?

Or is it down to their current box not being able to view iPlayer in the near future.
  • mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looks like that is the case, currently

http://www.freesat.co.uk/get-freesat/all-boxes

The buying market is fairly small for these PVRs cf Freeview. Many are happy to subscribe to $ky and others don't care / want the freesat epg so buy a free to air satellite recorder... (though that's a smaller still market in the UK).

What's even more irritating are the lack of Freesat TVs.

I wanted to buy one on behalf of a grandparent recently - for their bedroom, doesn't need to be anything flashy. It's hard to find a TV that is smaller than 40 inches with Freesat, and even then it seems to be reserved for the higher end models (even if the cheaper ones also have satellite tuners). It's no problem getting Freeview HD in a TV though.

Ended up buying some cheap LG thing that, while it had a satellite tuner, obviously did not have Freesat. Then I had to buy an actual Freesat box (not a PVR) for that.
  • grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    moox wrote: »
    What's even more irritating are the lack of Freesat TVs.

I wanted to buy one on behalf of a grandparent recently - for their bedroom, doesn't need to be anything flashy. It's hard to find a TV that is smaller than 40 inches with Freesat, and even then it seems to be reserved for the higher end models (even if the cheaper ones also have satellite tuners). It's no problem getting Freeview HD in a TV though.

Ended up buying some cheap LG thing that, while it had a satellite tuner, obviously did not have Freesat. Then I had to buy an actual Freesat box (not a PVR) for that.

You could have tuned all the channels on the Freesat epg on the TV and more. You wouldn't get the epg of course, which is all Freesat is.
  • mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You could have tuned all the channels on the Freesat epg on the TV and more. You wouldn't get the epg of course, which is all Freesat is.

I know that, but it's a PITA - you don't get a long EPG and you'd have to rescan and move all the channels around all the time, as channels are added, deleted and changed.

Said grandparent already has a proper Freesat box in the living room so anything to keep things as similar as possible would have been appreciated
  • Mickey_TMickey_T Posts: 4,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    moox wrote: »
    I know that, but it's a PITA - you don't get a long EPG and you'd have to rescan and move all the channels around all the time, as channels are added, deleted and changed.
    I agree, and that's a major drawback to generic satellite tuners when compared to Freesat, which just does everything for the viewer seamlessly.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Or is it down to their current box not being able to view iPlayer in the near future.

When will the Vestel boxes and TVs announced by Freesat 2 years ago get released!?!

Vestel usually release low cost products!
  • ian-dian-d Posts: 3,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ds_reader wrote: »

They have ceased production (too early in my view) of the HDR-S Freesat+ box, in preparation for the launch of their Freetime offerings, which are meant for middle of the year, but wouldn't be surprised if later than that.

I've seen what they look like recently, very nice, but no hands-on just yet.

The market for Freesat/Freetime is now very small, as consumers are not seeing a need to keep upgrading when the tech hasn't changed much.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ian-d wrote: »
    They have ceased production (too early in my view) of the HDR-S Freesat+ box, in preparation for the launch of their Freetime offerings, which are meant for middle of the year, but wouldn't be surprised if later than that.

I've seen what they look like recently, very nice, but no hands-on just yet.

The market for Freesat/Freetime is now very small, as consumers are not seeing a need to keep upgrading when the tech hasn't changed much.

Have you seen the Vestel TVs and boxes?
  • davemurgatroyddavemurgatroyd Posts: 13,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ian-d wrote: »
    They have ceased production (too early in my view) of the HDR-S Freesat+ box, in preparation for the launch of their Freetime offerings, which are meant for middle of the year, but wouldn't be surprised if later than that..
    Hardly - when the box won't allow viewing of iPlayer from September. An outdated box.