Options

HDR1000S Lost recordings + no On-Demand

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 110
Forum Member
Only had the box about four weeks, decided to update my old FreeSat Humax for the new box to gain the full on demand services.

Tonight we settled down to watch On-Demand 5, all that shows is a prompt saying "on demand is loading" but it never does, turned off, left it on again still the same, and on top of that upon looking at the recordings we had stored they have all gone!

Disc is there to see, and 6% used (about correct) and still have the recording schedule in the list.

Most frustrating as the old box gave great service for years.

Comments

• Options
    ClemClem Posts: 1,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had similar disc-related issues on a new Humax Freeview box. Turned-out that the disc controller on the motherboard was duff, and the unit had to be replaced. As for the lack of on-demand, you don't say how you've connected the unit to your home network, so this issue may/may not be box related.

You could try a factory reset (as I did), but I think that you have a duff box. I'd get it replaced.

Clem
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 110
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the info, after a few minutes unplugged and then restarted we got all the recordings back and it loaded on demand without problem, although we had been using it with the Humax wifi dongle as a temporary measure it seemed to work fine, but now have hard wired into our network and certainly Channel 5 seems to load faster and with far less "hiccups", our web connection is always around 30mb so happy it is not that.

I will keep a close eye on the recordings...
  • Options
    ClemClem Posts: 1,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had the same issues regarding recordings. If I power-cycled the box the recordings would come back for a while, but then new timer events would fail because the hard srive had disappeared again. I strongly suggest getting it replaced sooner rather than later, which was the advice given to me by Humax ...

Clem
  • Options
    CuriousmindCuriousmind Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    My Humax Freesat 1010s also lost recordings, no On Demand and will not pause live TV. There could be a cost effective solution but there's a Catch 22.

If you have this problem with a Humax Freesat 1000s or 1010s box, please read this post BEFORE you try any DIY fix that involves opening up the box.

After digging around various forums, I eventually found this notice on the freesat web page http://www.freesat.co.uk/help/got-freesat/fix-a-problem/box-problems

Loss of hard drive and recordings

We are aware that some customers have experienced issues with their box failing to connect to their hard drive, meaning recording functionality, including live pause/rewind, and stored recordings are unavailable. We have been working with Humax to identify the root cause and Humax are now able to provide a resolution for affected customers.

If you have experienced this issue, you will need to contact the Humax customer care centre for further information and details of how it can be resolved.

Humax customer care centre: 0344 318 8800

I called Humax on this number. Apparently a blown capacitor could be causing the problem, and that can be fixed. For a fee of £26, Humax will collect the box and if the problem is the capacitor they’ll repair it. However, if they find that the hard drive has failed, they won’t repair that. So in order to decide whether it is worth paying the £26 to have my box collected for repair, I need to know if the hard drive is working or not. How can I do that? The obvious answer is to open the Freesat box, remove the hard drive and test it. My box is out of warranty, so opening the box won’t invalidate the warranty.

But there’s a problem. Humax now tell me that if I have opened the box, they will not repair it. So that little strip that says that the warranty is void if you open the box is misleading people into thinking that it is OK to open the box if they do not intend to rely on the warranty. In fact it seems that Humax regard opening the box as “tampering” with it >:(. Anyone who has changed a hard drive on one of these boxes knows that it is a very straightforward operation to disconnect, remove and replace the hard drive. It does not involve “tampering” with the motherboard.

Just wanted you all to know about this in case I can save anyone else from having the same problem.