Continuity a five year old could spot

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
Forum Member
Just have to share this. Watching the show tonight when The Doctor lights a torch with his sonic screwdriver. Quick as a flash, our five year old son turns to us and states "It doesnt do wood!"

Gotta love him, how he remembered that from earlier in the series is beyond me :D

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    slaneuk wrote: »
    Just have to share this. Watching the show tonight when The Doctor lights a torch with his sonic screwdriver. Quick as a flash, our five year old son turns to us and states "It doesnt do wood!"

Gotta love him, how he remembered that from earlier in the series is beyond me :D

haha thats ace :D

the worst thing is i can bet a few older people missed that one
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 50
    Forum Member
    Well this is a first, being outdone by a 5 year old :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 483
    Forum Member
    These type of lamps did tend to be soaked in oil and such like so technically its not the wood he's lighting, :D
  • breppobreppo Posts: 2,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't now if it was mentioned in other theads, but there was another glaring mistake. The Romans did not have saddles with stirrups. At least not at at the time they were still in Britain.
    I've got to stop playing Rome Total War. :rolleyes:
  • TribecTribec Posts: 9,330
    Forum Member
    My only question and this may sound really daft. With the re-generation, we saw a new Tardis, which the doctor said was a newer version, and of course his sonic screwdriver is different to that of the previous doctor. Could it be that this different sonic, can work wood?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    It fails against a wooden door in the Vampires episode.
  • BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    breppo wrote: »
    I don't now if it was mentioned in other theads, but there was another glaring mistake. The Romans did not have saddles with stirrups. At least not at at the time they were still in Britain.

Its not a mistake really when you consider that the Romans are supposedly a product of Amy's imagination ;)
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

To be fair though thats a very common error in historical dramas. I guess becouse modern actors don't know how to ride stirrupless without falling off:)
  • breppobreppo Posts: 2,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ber wrote: »
    Its not a mistake really when you consider that the Romans are supposedly a product of Amy's imagination ;)

O no, now I will have a restless night figuring this one out!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 365
    Forum Member

Ah, but maybe the Romans in Amy's inaccurate picture book did;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe that's what happens when it doesn't work, sets fire to stuff. :S
    Forum Member
    on the stirrup thing... just thought about it. The doc prob hasn't ridden a horse in a while, and now he's going to be stuck in that chair thing in the Pandorica for, apparently
    several hundred years

So if they're playing this realistically, he's going to be bloody stiff when he gets out! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 463
    Forum Member
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned Amy's magic dissapearing, reappearing glove. When she is with Rory just before he shoots her she reaches out and touches his cheek clearly wearing a glove, yet when the camera is on her just prior to that she is clearly not wearing one.

Seems like a lot of these this season.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    siohmy wrote: »
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned Amy's magic dissapearing, reappearing glove. When she is with Rory just before he shoots her she reaches out and touches his cheek clearly wearing a glove, yet when the camera is on her just prior to that she is clearly not wearing one.

Seems like a lot of these this season.

Wasn't she wearing fingerless gloves? I remember admiring them in one scene, and wishing it was Winter so I could buy some. :o
  • sertonserton Posts: 730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought it was just that it couldn't do wood, as in manipulate it. Maybe setting it on fire though is a different matter. I'm sure the doctor doesn't want to set every wooden door on fire though...
  • mikkyhmikkyh Posts: 1,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmm...but in The Eleventh Hour, he locks 2 wooden doors: the one with the perception filter when he's chained to the radiator and once when he's walking out of the house with Amy - he locks the wooden front door.

Or is it because the locks are actually made out of metal ? But then they'd be made out of metal in Silence in the Library and Vampires of Venice right ? :/
    Forum Member
    The burning bit on the torches wasn't made of wood, it was fuel soaked fibre in a metal container
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 43
    Forum Member
    Shrike wrote: »
    To be fair though thats a very common error in historical dramas. I guess becouse modern actors don't know how to ride stirrupless without falling off:)

I can ride without stirrups......can even ride without a saddle...very happy to stunt double for any decent show :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It can't open wood, that doesn't mean it can't light a fire.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36
    Forum Member
    Have we really resorted to ganging up and correcting a 5yo???;)

Good spot that i haven't seen mentioned elsewhere!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know I've already replied to this but I'm doing so again purely so I can say that the sonic screwdriver can torch wood. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,173
    Forum Member
    which episode is it where the doctor says it doesn't do wood? i can't remember it
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,173
    Forum Member
    Dizx wrote: »
    I know I've already replied to this but I'm doing so again purely so I can say that the sonic screwdriver can torch wood. :D

haha. nice :D:p
  • TEDRTEDR Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sib69 wrote: »
    which episode is it where the doctor says it doesn't do wood? i can't remember it

Both Silence in the Library and one or other of the Silurian ones earlier this year. But in both cases (I think?) he tries to resonate non-wood molecules to have an effect on the wood.

The only other thing I'm aware of is that it can't triplicate the flamibility of port.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh yeah. when River finds the pandorica book, one shot sheis holding it from the bottom and the next she is holding it from the top.

But people are right about more of these errors. I know when we watch victory of the daleks now i list all the shots where none of the daleks are talking but they are. What i mean is, no lights are flashing but they are talking. That really bugs me :D