Anyone excited about the Dark Tower movies and TV crossovers?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 83
Forum Member
Sounds interesting, not sure if it will work .... what do you all think?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,440
    Forum Member
    Any links?

I have no idea what Dark Towers is and what all this croosovers stuff is all about.
  • makomako Posts: 214
    Forum Member
    Dark Towers?

That was a cool, rather spooky story that was shown weekly in segments on 70's kids educational show "Look and Read". You watched the chapter at school, then went back to class from the TV room to read it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    is it a Stephen King thing?

or i'm i totally off the mark?
  • purplelinuspurplelinus Posts: 1,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tis the Stephen King books, really looking foward to it! They are going to have to put all the stops out to make it really work though
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 83
    Forum Member
    Any links?

I have no idea what Dark Towers is and what all this croosovers stuff is all about.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/news/a275072/kings-dark-tower-to-be-film-tv-series.html

Sorry should have put link in original thread ...
    Forum Member
    Mr Obseen wrote: »
    is it a Stephen King thing?

or i'm i totally off the mark?

No your right ... link - http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/news/a275072/kings-dark-tower-to-be-film-tv-series.html
    Forum Member
    Tis the Stephen King books, really looking foward to it! They are going to have to put all the stops out to make it really work though

Totally agree, going to so hard putting the 7 books on screen .... hope they don't mess it up
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,751
    Forum Member
    it was going to be done by Sam Pechinpah years ago as a sort of Western but it never happened, not sure if this was because Sam died or moved onto another project.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved those books, well, the first four in particular. I just can't imagine a film or TV series doing them justice.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36
    Forum Member
    I love the series of books but i really cant see the story working on screen. I think the story is to big and the whole switching between different worlds and times could be hugely confusing for anybody who has'nt read the books.

As a fan of the books i really DONT want to see this on screen.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36
    Forum Member
    I love the series of books but i really cant see the story working on screen. I think the story is to big and the whole switching between different worlds and times could be hugely confusing for anybody who has'nt read the books.

Forum Member

Thanks for the link. I should have remembered it was an Strephen King thing I've seen the covers of some of the books. I haven't read them.

If the idea of the crossover is some of it is on TV and some in the cinema it's going to be one terrible mess and won't work.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,472
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never read the dark tower,is this the book that the turtle and the other are in?
  • AnachronyAnachrony Posts: 2,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stephen King adaptations have been hit or miss at best, and this series is perhaps his most bizarre. I'll definitely check out the first movie or TV episode unless it gets horrible reviews, but I'm highly skeptical that they'll manage to pull it off successfully.
    Forum Member
    Never having read the books I know nohing about them obvioulsy but the whole concept of doing crossovers on TV and cinema sounds terrible.
    How can it be guaranteed that the TV series will be shown to coincide with the film.
    The TV channels will show it as and when they like and at whichever time they like. They may sit on it waitng for the next film to come out then show it which is great if you manage to see it all before the film comes out, if you don't you miss seeing it in the ciinema and have to see the film on DVD. If it's on ITV it could get pulled at any time to make way for some football match. If the ratings are bad it could get axed completely or get switched to a death slot.
    What is an smaller channel like Scyfy or Bravo get it? People may not be able to get access to see the series and so when the next film comes along they won't have a clue, unless they just read spoilers and hope they don't find out anything that happens after this second film.
    What is no channel in a countty takes the series but the films are shown in that country?

It may be possible to o crossovers but it does sound like it could cause more problems for people than it's worth.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am a bit nervous about this to be honest - I love the books but it is going to be one hell of a project to get this on screen. I really don't think it should be a movie at all though, just a mini-series.

I would love for Guy Pearce to play The Gunslinger though :)
    Forum Member
    Hazeltree wrote: »
    I am a bit nervous about this to be honest - I love the books but it is going to be one hell of a project to get this on screen. I really don't think it should be a movie at all though, just a mini-series.

I would love for Guy Pearce to play The Gunslinger though :)

I really hope the first movie hits the mark as anything
    less with kill the move onto the small screen for book two
    which is probably the best book in the series.

Not sure about who should be cast, though I do see
    the guy from Firefly (Nathan Fillion) hope I've spelt it
    correctly - might be good as Roland. Any thoughts on this?
    Forum Member

I'm a little worried that it's just too big a story to get on the
    big/small screen too.
  • metanoiametanoia Posts: 635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was discussing casting of this with a friend who's currently reading the last book.

Clint Eastwood was who Stephen King based Roland on, obviously Clint is a bit too old, or is he?

Aaron Paul should play Eddie Dean (Jesse from Breaking bad)
    Forum Member
    metanoia wrote: »
    I was discussing casting of this with a friend who's currently reading the last book.

Clint Eastwood was who Stephen King based Roland on, obviously Clint is a bit too old, or is he?

Aaron Paul should play Eddie Dean (Jesse from Breaking bad)

I was thinking Johhny Depp as Eddie .....

Yeah Clint is way old now lol
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    From Stephen King's website:
    Dark Tower Casting News
    Posted on: April 1st, 2011 8:30:00 am

Preliminary casting choices are in for the roles of Eddie, Susannah, Jake and The Crimson King.

The role of Eddie Dean has been offered to Emmy Award-winning actor Ray Romano.

The role of Susannah Dean/Odetta Walker has been offered to Oscar-nominated actress Oprah Winfrey.

The role of Jake Chambers has been offered to Grammy Award-nominated musician/actor Justin Bieber.

The role of The Crimson King has been offered to Emmy, SAG and BAFTA Award-nominated actor Gary Oldman.

We will post more info on whether or not the roles are accepted as soon as decisions have been made.

I trust the Bieber news in an April Fool.

http://www.stephenking.com/index.html