Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 443
    Forum Member
    Deleted message - sending private message instead
  • marieofromaniamarieofromania Posts: 651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My thoughts on tonight:

Bertie de Rougemont (really?) had borrowed his eyebrows from one of last week's clowns.

Richard Wilson is not a "legendary" actor. He is "moderately well known".

Jackie's peanut sauce appeared to have been vomited onto the plate - possibly by a vegan who had been contaminated by a meaty pork ball.
  • BorefestBorefest Posts: 9,557
    Forum Member
    My thoughts on tonight:

Bertie de Rougemont (really?) had borrowed his eyebrows from one of last week's clowns.

Jackie's peanut sauce appeared to have been vomited onto the plate - possibly by a vegan who had been contaminated by a meaty pork ball.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
  • Mrs SprattMrs Spratt Posts: 4,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My thoughts on tonight:

EXACTLY what I thought! His brows looked completely drawn on!

Yup.

Also what was all that *****cks about 'They are just doing the last take - they will be here any minute!!!!'
  • Gemo52Gemo52 Posts: 128,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Windy999 wrote: »
    Excellent Gemo!

I don't say it often but I really appreciate your summaries!
    Castanet wrote: »
    Yes, indeed, so do I. :)

Thank you, Windy and Castanet. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    I hate masterchef. It used to be a guilty pleasure. The invention test was at least some kind of leveller. And we had some entertainment a few nights a week. This series is more than dreadfully awful. Cheap rip-off of Aussie masterchef (worse than a rub-down in nettles already) plus wanky z-list celeb prep school. Not good enough. Never watching again.
  • MrsMRMrsMR Posts: 243
    Forum Member
    RFS wrote: »
    That peanut sauce looks ... Umm like an accident!

Won't say exactly what Hubby shouted out but we have a Standard Poodle who gets Colitis - need I say more :eek:

Was a bit worried when Tom said rabbit "nose to tail" they may be getting Rabbit's a~#s !!

Loved Gregg's comment about Tim being on the "edge of lunacy" - spot on

Good episode tonight. Thought there would be a 2nd person going at end after last week so was surprised. Roll on next week with the delectable MRJ - think I must be first in line :):)
  • ladygardenerladygardener Posts: 2,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having read all your comments, I won't even bother to watch last night's episode, which I recorded. Sounds as though Jacky was her usual annoying self.
  • owlloverowllover Posts: 7,980
    Forum Member
    MrsMR wrote: »
    Roll on next week with the delectable MRJ - think I must be first in line :):)

Think again :D:D:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,196
    Forum Member
    This years MasterChef has been really disappointing! Its become a parody of itself and taken too much from X-Factor and the rest of the talent shows!

Plus Jackie is doing my t*ts in with her wild-eyed expressions and over-exaggeration of practically everything that she bangs on about!

And I almost killed myself laughing so much at that kn*b Brian Whats-his-face when he was talking about Tims cake thing "....uh...I dont really get the Sah-moh-réééééééééé...."

Its "Smore" you poncy git! SMORES!!!! :mad:
  • RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, that's me out. I gave it a fair go, but after tonight's fiasco of a programme, enough is enough.
    They keep Tim after he produced that pile of inedible crap..just because he came up with an amusing sorbet on the side ? I assume he harbours pretentions of becoming another Heston Blumenthal..but one of those is more than enough surely ?
    Anyway. that's a side issue. I'm just not enjoying Masterchef any more, sad after all the pleasure previous series have given me.
    I'm sincerely glad some of the old fans are still enjoying the current series, at least the forum posts remain good fun.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    viewaskew wrote: »
    And I almost killed myself laughing so much at that kn*b Brian Whats-his-face when he was talking about Tims cake thing "....uh...I dont really get the Sah-moh-réééééééééé...."

Its "Smore" you poncy git! SMORES!!!! :mad:

That would be Bertie whats-his-face :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,196
    Forum Member
    DFI wrote: »
    That would be Bertie whats-his-face :D

See..! Thats how much I didnt value his opinion..! I couldnt even be bothered remembering or looking up his name cos he was such a massive twunt!

I agree that Tim is trying to be another Heston too...and he's already halfway there with the liquid nitrogen and the dodgy spectacles!! :o
  • mindyannmindyann Posts: 20,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rorschach wrote: »
    "Even I wasn't sure about vanilla and fish..."

He really does just make it up on the spot :D

It's not an unknown combo though is it?
    Seen reciepes for it before,
    Ah well.

Jackie once again shows how good she is at taking critisicm and how well she can play in a group :cool:

Did Tim's pud in round one remind anyone else of Emily's campfire dessert from a couple of years ago?
  • Mrs SprattMrs Spratt Posts: 4,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They keep Tim after he produced that pile of inedible crap..just because he came up with an amusing sorbet on the side ?

I really cannot understand how, out of everyone in that test and on her general performance, Alice was the one chosen to go simply because Bertie de Boomdeeay thought it was 'very nineties'.

Very disappointing episode, there is simply no point to me in showing these tasks at length when nobody is going at the end of it and they take no notice of performance on tasks in deciding who should stay and who sh

Presumably the theme was 'catering' as they had Bertie, who is a posh caterer, as a judge and they catered a party, but other than that I simply could not see why RIchard Wilson's party was chosen as a task.
  • apaulapaul Posts: 9,846
    Forum Member
    I think Alice going was fair enough. She said she felt out of her depth and according to Toad none of her three desserts was spot-on. Can't wait to see the back of Jackie and Sara. Both are limited cooks and incredibly annoying.
  • MR. MacavityMR. Macavity Posts: 3,876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deadful, just dreadful.

Whilst the the programme is becoming more watchable as a bit of telly, as we are now essentially in the tried and tested 'semi-final' stage of previous series, the actual competition is just totally random, with seemingly made up on the spot eliminations that the series as a whole doesn't justify. So for instance Alice who was in the top 2 in the previous task, is now all of a sudden the worst out of the 7, just because some wierd franglais guy with bushy eyebrows thought her desert was a bit 'nineddies'?

And the whole thing is just so contrived - I mean I know its a reality show but the editorial standards would embarrass a kid's show.

Last night when they turned up at the Merlin set and Shrek said 'tonight there's going to be magic' and then we get a shot of Jackie with her mouth wide open, and Tim staring into the middle-distance with a look of puzzlement (no doubt wondering how on earth he's still in the competition)........terrible, really terrible. Crackerjack had higher standards than this.

And on the subject of Tim, he just takes the p**s. Just when was it that someone decided that if you just throw random ingredients onto a plate that don't even slightly go together that your are suddenly an exciting 'experimental' cook - you're not. It just means you can't cook. I can't remember anyone else ever getting through to the last 6 of Masterchef without producing one complete, coherent and appetising plate of food. I almost think that at some point he just going to bung a tog turd on plate and Toad is going to shake his head in disbelief 'You know what - that ACTUALLY works!'.

Amazingly there seems to be quite a bit of support for him on this thread - can I ask anyone who likes Tim whether this is because you like his 'I'm like, so out there personality' or because you think you would love to try his food? He is basically the Wagner / Jedward contestant of Masterchef. No discernible talent but may appeal to a certain niche audience because of that.

On a lighter note I loved James' 'It doesn't get tougher than this' quip at Shrek - made me feel quite nostalgic!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 95
    Forum Member
    Gemo52 wrote: »
    [highlight]Masterchef 2011. Day 8.[/highlight]

Jackie, 40, Research Analyst
    James, 24, Carpenter
    Annie, 39, Part-Time Administrator
    Alice, 24, Part-Time Model
    Tom, 30, Account Director
    Sara, 40, Intensive Care Sister
    Tim, 26, Food Buyer

One and a half hours to prepare an extraordinary plate of food.

Bertie de Rougement joins John and Gregg to judge the food.
    Annie (safe options): partridge cooked two ways with chestnuts, celeriac and savoy cabbage and a Madiera reduction. Legs not braised for long enough, elegant and sophisticated.
    Tom (messy): rabbit nose to tail – ballotine, sausage, purée and toast. Attractive dish and delicious according to Bertie, Gregg liked it too.
    Tim (inventive): samora, millefoils and campfire sorbet. Inelegant, sorbet really good.
    Alice (faulty combinations): assiette of chocolate. Looks homemade and mumsy, tried to do too much in the time.
    Sara (Italian that misses the mark): red deer fillet velouté with pancetta, lentil salad, chocolate and red wine jus. Pretty dish, Gregg likes it, venison cooked beautifully.
    Jackie (annoying vegetarian): smokey tempée satay sticks with green beans and chili cashews. A good balance of flavours, not a barnstormer for Bertie thought it was like home-cooked food.
    James (skills developing): marble cake with rosé sorbet and sable biscuits. Dated presentation but food well made, textures don’t work.

Alice is sent home.

Cooking for cast and crew of Merlin with Richard Wilson hosting a wrap party.

Three hours to prepare two dishes each
    Tim, Tom and Sara in one kitchen – a very messy kitchen.
    Sara: seafood risotto; potato and fontina cheese ravioli with white truffles.
    Tim: yellow tailed tuna with miso, parsnip dauphinoise; seaweed salad.
    Tom: venison wellington; herb crusted roasted rack of lamb with potatoes, glazed carrots and cabbage

Annie, Jackie and James in the other kitchen.
    James: duck breast ballotines with beetroot purée; lion’s mane pork balls.
    Annie: salted chocolate tarts; spicy custard pots with cardamom shortbread.
    Jackie: vegan sushi; stuffed dates in filo pastry.

Tom did well, so did Sara. Tim’s tuna was good. James didn’t make enough duck and his balls weren’t special. Annie’s custard didn’t work. Jackie’s food didn’t go down well.

The bold bit made me :D - thanks for the summary of the show!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    firstly can I say Wooooooooooooo Hoooooooooooo for MRJ next week:D:D:D:D:D:D

Secondly, and reading back through some of the thread, I'm glad that I'm not the only one who got irritated by Jackie last night.

I lol'd at James's buffet comment about the cheese and pineapple on sticks. I think he's probably my favourite (although I don't think he'll win) as he comes out with some great oneliners.

Has Sara cooked anything yet which wasn't Italian? Not that there's anything wrong with Itailan food, love it, but she's not exactly showing a lot of range.
  • Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    Ah well, I enjoyed last night, the chaos in the kitchen was highly amusing, the one let down was Jackie not going at the end, was sure her time was up (and I've never seen more washed out, boring looking sushi in my life)
    Amazingly there seems to be quite a bit of support for him on this thread - can I ask anyone who likes Tim whether this is because you like his 'I'm like, so out there personality' or because you think you would love to try his food?

Oh I like Tim and yes, I do like his bonkersness, but I would like to try his food, not all of it mind you, but some sounds really interesting, I thought the tuna dish with vanilla and miso (sp) sounded really nice, but the smores based dish looked and sounded too sweet for me, but equally the sorbet sounded, and apparently tasted, divine.

Speaking of divine - Mr Roux Jnr next week :D:D:D
  • britchick_99702britchick_99702 Posts: 371
    Forum Member
    Hmm, what can I say about last nights episode? It would seem that Jackie got through the first round purely because of a few cashew nuts that happened to be on the plate. Whatever I thought of Bertie initially, he went up in my estimation when he dared say he wasn't impressed with her food. Not sure why she is still in to be honest. By the looks of the preview of next weeks show, she doesn't work well with others either and as for having a go at the carpenter bloke and his balls, well, it would have made me want to do it even more.
    Can't wait to see Monsieur Roux Jr next week. I bet Toady hates him coming on the show with all his Michelin stars and French charm. Oooooo, I luurrvvveee him:o
  • RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Amazingly there seems to be quite a bit of support for him on this thread - can I ask anyone who likes Tim whether this is because you like his 'I'm like, so out there personality' or because you think you would love to try his food? He is basically the Wagner / Jedward contestant of Masterchef. No discernible talent but may appeal to a certain niche audience because of that.
    Actually remembering the forum from the early episodes there was a lot of dislike for Tim purely on the basis that he was an American (how terrible :o).

Then as the episodes went on I'd say his "popularity" as you see is is down to one of two things.

1. A belief that he can't actually cook but somehow stumbles his way to a finished dish that actually tastes nice (this has been stated by several posters). This amazes and amuses people.

2. The fact that everyone is far too busy moaning about Jackie to spend any time attacking Tim. Once people finally get their wish and she leaves (if indeed she ever does) then they will have time to be more critical of others.
  • RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mindyann wrote: »
    It's not an unknown combo though is it?
    Seen reciepes for it before,
    Ah well.
    My point wasn't that it wasn't a valid combination, but that his comment seemed to imply he didn;t know if it was or not. That he hadn't actually tried the dish before, and therefore knew it worked, he had just come up with it the night before and was just waiting to see if it was actually edible :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I was disappointed over all last night but I didn't think it was that bad.

Alice going was fair enough. It wasn't just because her dish looked 'a bit nineties', there were issues with her food as well. Tim got away with it a bit this week and I can only assume that the sorbet was pretty damn good! James also struggled in the episode and, unless he raises his game next week, I suspect he might be next out the door.

I enjoyed the Merlin segment. Lol at the 'legendary actor' bit though! He actually does come across as grumpy in real life as old Victor!

The fact that both segments were so rigidly half an hour each, it made me think that the producers stuck what may have originlly been intended as 2 episodes together and this could explain why the elimination happened in the middle of the show and not the end. I think had the second segment (cooking for the Merlin crew) been shown as a seperate episode it may have been better.

Jackie still as annoying as ever! I'm sure she's probably very nice off screen really, but I wish she could just tone it down a bit on it!
This discussion has been closed.