David Cameron & Family should live on average wage

2»

Comments

• MajlisMajlis Posts: 31,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd sathe same for any Prime Minister, irrespective of party, labour, conservative, LibDem, any leading party, whoever they may be

fair point - I just wonder why we didn't have these claims when the last administration was in power.

Perhaps it was a coincidence. :)
  • juliancarswelljuliancarswell Posts: 8,896
    Forum Member
    David Cameron & Family should live on average wage [/B

I'm not sure that is doable, but I see no reason why they, and all MP's, can't be made to always use the NHS, always use public transport and always send their kids to state schools.:eek:
  • duvindupainduvindupain Posts: 2,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Majlis wrote: »
    fair point - I just wonder why we didn't have these claims when the last administration was in power.

Perhaps it was a coincidence. :)

I would have said the same then, I probably didn't post on DS in those days, I'm still a newbie here :)
  • duvindupainduvindupain Posts: 2,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David Cameron & Family should live on average wage [/B

I'm not sure that is doable, but I see no reason why they, and all MP's, can't be made to always use the NHS, always use public transport and always send their kids to state schools.:eek:

It is remarkable how Ed Miliband was able to have his nose op scheduled for the MPs holidays, just a window of a few weeks... that's all I'm saying! :p

(now I want to run away as I'm not used to being in the Politics forum and it's scary!)
  • AnniecaAnnieca Posts: 2,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am low paid but would still do the job, to be head of government would in itself be worth ot.
  • AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I reckon David Cameron and his wealthy missus and their children should all live on the average wage (about £28k?? correct me if I'm wrong, I live well below this)

Anything, bill-wise they have coming in during the four years DC is running things from No. 10 will go to charity, say, national charities the Lottery supports - for the sake of argument)

I would like to see how these (the Cameron family and Sam's family wealth too) wealthy people manage on what the average person does. School fee-wise, food-wise, transport to and from work -wise, holiday-wise, buying food-wise, gas and electricity-wise... you name it

And they get no extra help throughout the year, they have to pay it as they use it

Please, can they do this for the next few years?

I believe that the median wage is circa £26 000 per annum.
  • David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shappy wrote: »
    It would be an interesting social experiment if everyone in the Cabinet had to live like that for three months.

I blame reality TV.
  • Rogana JoshRogana Josh Posts: 41,348
    Forum Member
    He has an important job and should be paid above average, however it would be an interesting test, to see how he faired.

I remember they did a programme where MPs were sent to live in tower blocks, their eyes were certainly opened to how the rest of us live.

Ian Duncan Smith was supposed to go but he cr*pped it and did'nt go, what a woose!:mad:
  • Rogana JoshRogana Josh Posts: 41,348
    Forum Member
    It is remarkable how Ed Miliband was able to have his nose op scheduled for the MPs holidays, just a window of a few weeks... that's all I'm saying! :p

(now I want to run away as I'm not used to being in the Politics forum and it's scary!)

Stand up for yourself and have the courage of your convictions, but be prepared to know your facts and you will do well! ;)
  • MartinPMartinP Posts: 31,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Please, can they do this for the next few years?

This is a silly idea. Cameron has (arguably) the most important job in the country and should not have to spend his time worrying about the bills when he should be running the country. You'd then have the daft situation where MPs are paid more than double the PM....

If I were in your shoes I would try and focus on improving my situation rather than thinking about ways to drag down others who earn more than me.
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    Then he should stop saying "we're all in this together", which seems to be his favourite saying.

People who earn more dont necessarily have more disposable income, they tend to have houses with larger mortages so things effect them as well, it all equates. In fact someone on a lower wage may have more disposable income than someone in swanky job with a big house and car.
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Why should they when the rest of us have the choice?
  • mad_dudemad_dude Posts: 10,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Majlis wrote: »
    I think the argument is: if you had the Job as unpaid then only the very rich (like Cameron or Blair) could afford to do it.

Which doesn't seem a very strong argument...:D

The original notion of paying MP's was as a way to stop bribery of politicians. Infact many MP's of the time either lived off family money or made so much from bribes that they became a source of income. Didn't stop bribery though.
  • Net NutNet Nut Posts: 10,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Before anyone is allowed to become a MP they should have to live for a year on the minimum wage, and be watched carefully so they cant cheat in any way.

Only something like this might open some politicians eyes and give them a better social conscience in the way they handle things like tax and spending.

It could be part of a apprenticeship to be a politician, they would gain credibility and respect from ordinary people.

At the moment many people believe the politicians think they are better than them, and only care about them for a short time while they tell their lies during election time.
  • MrstimmyMrstimmy Posts: 1,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Woman on question time to David Davies, have u ever been on a council estate?
    Davies, yeah I grew up on one.
    Woman, well let me tell u....

Are mps that grew up on council Estates or in poorer areas allowed their salaries? Or should they be made to live 'like the rest of us'

I watch every penny I spend and if I can't afford something, I dont have it. I've not had more than 2 days off work in a row in over a year because I can't afford to. My contract hours are a third of the hours I work each week. So just can't afford to only get paid contract hours. But I dont resent those that have worked their way up or been elected to a position.