3D question

Hi,
I have a Panasonic 3D blu ray player. I wanted a Pansonic 3D tv (out of stock) but the same size 42" LG is £150 cheaper. (both passive)
Is there any real disadvantage in not having the same make pairing or would there not be any problems? They both would be from John Lewis so have a 5yr guarantee.
I suspect they would be ok but a bit of reassurance would be welcome.
Thanks

Comments

• Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,330
    Forum Member
    No problems, both should be CEC and the remotes will work each other.

However, the reason the Panasonic is £150 more is that it's more than £150 better made!.

As long as you're happy that it 'might' be less reliable, and that you have a five year guarantee, then go for it.
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like the LG player automatically turning on the LG TV and selecting the correct input via Simplink. That probably won't happen if they're not the same make.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,330
    Forum Member
    ironjade wrote: »
    I like the LG player automatically turning on the LG TV and selecting the correct input via Simplink. That probably won't happen if they're not the same make.

Refer to line #1 of my previous post - it's CEC that makes that happen, but rather stupidly manufacturers give it different silly names - obviously LG must use 'SimpLink', and Panasonic use 'VieraLink', but it's all the same thing.
  • robbrarobbra Posts: 524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the replies.
    Advice as I suspected so now I have to make up my mind:eek:
  • evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    I had a look at the J Lewis site and I think the TVs you are choosing between are the Panasonic Viera TX-L42ET5B and the LG 42LM620T To help you I looked up the Which? reviews for these two. (Just out of interest as well, this LG scored better than the more expensive LG 670T.)

The LG is a Best Buy, scores 68% and they say:

'HD pictures are crisp with natural colours, just the thing to bring your favourite Blu-ray films to life. Non-HD isn't quite as good, where colours vary and the image can look dull and gloomy, but it's watchable.

That's balanced excellent 3D - LG's passive 3D techn creates a great impression of depth, with minimal ghosting around people or objects. The glasses are light and fit well. Add the excellent, wide viewing angles, and this is a great TV for watching movies in any living room.

The sound still isn't perfect. Some distortion still creeps in on female speech and some kinds of music, and the treble can sound a bit too bright. Bass doesn't sound as tight as it should. Yet there's good detail and clarity elsewhere, and enough energy to bring blockbusters to life. We've heard better TVs, but it's a damn sight better than it was before LG fixed the problems from our original test.

Pros: Good 2D and HD pictures, bundled glasses, respectable sound, strong Smart TV line-up.
    Cons: TV and Smart 3D features should be easier to use, slow browsing, longwinded PVR controls.'

The Panasonic scored 64% and here's what they say:

'While the TX-L42ET5B can't match the 3D performance of the company's best active sets, it still delivers good 3D pictures with a real sense of depth and a minimum of interference. It was one of the strongest 3D sets in this group of TVs that we tested at the Which? Labs.

Panasonic's 3D experience shows in the ease with which you can change from 2D to 3D, while adjusting settings isn't difficult. However, the 2D to 3D conversion feature doesn't really work that effectively.

Were it not for one thing, this Viera would be no slouch in the 2D stakes either. SD pictures generally look good, while HD pictures offer reasonable colours and plenty of detail. Unfortunately Panasonic has implemented a dynamic backlight feature that you can't switch off, and this has a nasty habit of constantly adjusting the brightness levels in darker scenes. This made certain sequences virtually unwatchable.

Audio performance is also a little disappointing. Bass has a boxy, thudding quality, while the mid range is thin and processed sounding, producing chesty voices and a nasal tone. At the high end there's detail, but the sound is over-sibilant and bright. Our testers also found the presentation unnatural, with the sound appearing to come from an area far behind the speakers, and not really projecting into the room.

Pros: Detailed HD pictures, good accessibility features, strong internet features, good 3D with four pairs of glasses.
    Cons: Constant backlight variation a menace in dark scenes, unimpressive sound.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Spot on EC,
    I had a price match (Selfridges) agreed with JL for the Pana down to £699 but by the time I got the agreement out of stock. Went to their shop in Poole yesterday to see the LG. They couldn't do a proper 3D demo as not set up "but if you take it home and don't like it, bring it back" 50 mile round trip.
    Ok I'll have it, got to the till, out of stock, 6 days before we get one but in stock on website. Not impressed
    I'm going to demo in the local Pana shop today, £50 more with 6yr guarantee but still £200 more than the LG which will probably win the race and of course the 5 yr guarantee.
    Is there anyone else out there with 5yr guarantee on the LG at this price?(not Richer Sounds)
    Thanks again.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Went to the Pana shop in Dorchester. Four or five active tvs for full demo but no passive and wasn't interested in hooking up to a blu ray player. Was going to buy on a good demo but...lost a sale.
    What's the matter with these places, isn't it in their interest to actually sell products?
    Looks like JL might get my order and they have offered £10 voucher.
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    robbra wrote: »
    Went to the Pana shop in Dorchester. Four or five active tvs for full demo but no passive and wasn't interested in hooking up to a blu ray player. Was going to buy on a good demo but...lost a sale.
    What's the matter with these places, isn't it in their interest to actually sell products?
    Looks like JL might get my order and they have offered £10 voucher.

In my limited experience, retailers mainly demo active shutter and try and steer you away from passive.

No doubt they relish the sale of expensive glasses.

The first time I had experienced passive was when my LG Cinema 3D arrived in my lounge.

Luckily I had read tons of reviews and I know I had made the right decision as soon as I started watching 3D content.

it was so much better than the active shutter 'cardboard cut-out' 3D I had seen in TV stores.
  • fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi,
    I have a Panasonic 3D blu ray player. I wanted a Pansonic 3D tv (out of stock) but the same size 42" LG is £150 cheaper. (both passive)
    Is there any real disadvantage in not having the same make pairing or would there not be any problems? They both would be from John Lewis so have a 5yr guarantee.
    I suspect they would be ok but a bit of reassurance would be welcome.
    Thanks

I urge you to try and get a demo of both TVs and see which 3D system you prefer. They both have advantages and disadvantages.

Passive is more practical and the glasses are cheaper, but Active is widely regarded give better picture quality. ( Derek500 will disagree with that.... He always does ;) )

But, it's your money you're spending, so rather than listen to us PLEASE try them out and get whichever is best for YOU.
  • evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    Looks like JL want your business. You might as well be cheeky and say to them that you'd really like to buy the TV from them, but you'd like a £20 voucher instead. What have you got to lose by asking? Also there was a prog on C4 the other night where this guy gives advice about the best time to buy and how to get cheap prices in retailers, and he said go mid week when they're quiet.
  • iangradiangrad Posts: 813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A few points on this , you will struggle to find a panasonic et5 in any shop as this range has / or is in the process of being replaced by the e & et6 / et60 range . All 2013 Panasonic lcd led are passive . All plasma are active . Regarding the lack of demo , hard for a dealer to turn a new tv into second hand just on the chance that you may buy and them make 15 or 20 pound profit. This may change when the new range is fully available because as I said all will be passive so you seen one you have seen them all !

3d promotion has dropped back on most manufacturs add budgets , read into that what you will .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi iangrad,
    Thing is the Pana shop had the tv on display and running but weren't prepared to connect a Blu ray player, only to demo 2d to 3d from what looked like live tv and because of that they lost a probable sale. There was no question of a new tv becoming s/hand. Obviously can afford to lose business.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi iangrad,
    Thing is the Pana shop had the tv on display and running but weren't prepared to connect a Blu ray player, only to demo 2d to 3d from what looked like live tv and because of that they lost a probable sale. There was no question of a new tv becoming s/hand. Obviously can afford to lose business.

Now that is surprising it would have only been a matter of swapping the hdmi lead over ! especially as they would have been supplied with a free 3d demo disc from pana . The only advice I can offer is don't over pay for a 42et5 as its replacement et6 has much smaller bezel and VASTLY better smart features and aps with home screen -- look on pana website at 42e6 ( non 3d ) which was released 3 weeks back --its superb and makes the offering from sam & GL look poor and dated !
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Couldn't find that model anywhere on the Pana site. Looks likely I'll go for the LG, has pretty good reviews and as the salesman in JL said take it back if I don't like it. I'll give an update when I've had it a week or so.
    Thanks to everyone who has posted.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks Ian but I wanted 3D so have now ordered the LG 42" from JL and coming Friday pm.
    One further question, do I have to buy the LG wi fi dongle. I have a dongle from an old router system I used on a laptop and wondered if it would be ok to try it.
    Thanks again to all
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And the verdict on the new TV is ?

Connect directly to the router is best
    Home plugs to the router is 2nd best
    Wi-fi -- will work but if you try to do anything intensive it will buffer all time , very much the poor mans option .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iangrad wrote: »
    And the verdict on the new TV is ?

Connect directly to the router is best
    Home plugs to the router is 2nd best
    Wi-fi -- will work but if you try to do anything intensive it will buffer all time , very much the poor mans option .

I've got an LG TV and blu-ray both with built in wi-fi and have no problems either watching online content or via DLNA.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So far not impressed and I think a day of tinkering is in prospect.
    Cant pick up the NIT for Freeview HD channels even with near maximum signal and quality. My Tesco box was fine.
    Freeview pictures dismal but through Humax freesat not too bad but not better than my old Toshiba.
    2D-3D is not very different to normal but some depth, it doesn't leap out of the screen even on maximum.
    I am waiting for a 1.4 HDMI lead for 3D blu ray so can't comment yet but will when tested
    Sound is quite good, no complaints there.
    As I said lots to experiment with today.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am waiting for a 1.4 HDMI lead for 3D blu ran't comment yet but will when tested.

I hope you didn't pay a lot for your "1.4" cable. My old HDMI leads from 2008 do the job just fine on all my 3D devices.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am waiting for a 1.4 HDMI lead for 3D blu ray so can't comment yet but will when tested

My LG 3D Blu-ray is fine connected to my LG 3D TV with a Poundland HDMI cable.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So far not impressed and I think a day of tinkering is in prospect.
    Cant pick up the NIT for Freeview HD channels even with near maximum signal and quality. My Tesco box was fine.
    Freeview pictures dismal but through Humax freesat not too bad but not better than my old Toshiba.
    2D-3D is not very different to normal but some depth, it doesn't leap out of the screen even on maximum.
    Sound is quite good, no complaints there.
    As I said lots to experiment with today.

You do get pop out moments with some 3D content but most is depth. 2D to 3D is pants in most cases so don't expect much from that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi,
    I have Hugo as the only 3D disc.
    I tried with two old HDMI leads I have used before but the picture judders and whatever I do there's no change. Tried settings on the tv and player and they have the latest update. Perhaps it's the disc so will buy another today.
    One thing I notice with the tv is that whenever I either switch from freeview to the Humax or switch off some settings revert to default so have to be reset to my preference. Perhaps the LG is too smart for itself or more probably for me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi,
    I have Hugo as the only 3D disc.
    I tried with two old HDMI leads I have used before but the picture judders and whatever I do there's no change. Tried settings on the tv and player and they have the latest update. Perhaps it's the disc so will buy another today.
    One thing I notice with the tv is that whenever I either switch from freeview to the Humax or switch off some settings revert to default so have to be reset to my preference. Perhaps the LG is too smart for itself or more probably for me.

Just one thing to check re: juddering. Make sure your Blu-ray player is set to output movies at 24hz/frames per second. It might help.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Every input (including the built in Freeview and 'smart' content) have their own settings and should stay when switching.