'This Old Thing' Channel 4

2»

Comments

• daisydeedaisydee Posts: 39,615
    Forum Member
    Loz Kernow wrote: »
    This programme made me rummage right to the very back of my wardrobe and try on a floral dress that's been gathering dust. I'd forgotten about it.

It's by French Connection and I remember buying it in London before I moved to Jersey in 1978 :D

Thinking about giving it a wash (carefully) and wearing it again. It still fits! :)

Anyone else got vintage clothes lurking somewhere?

I have something from every era from the 1950s onwards - just can't throw anything away, even though i know i will never wear it again. Brings back lots of good memories just looking at them though. :)
  • J.RJ.R Posts: 2,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    via_487 wrote: »
    And many smaller ladies don't have waists at all!
    I'm a size 8....but because I'm short bodied, my waist is a size 10 at least (takes in the top of my hips or the bottom of my rib cage!).
    The problem with dress sizes is that every woman has something different about her and, unless we have clothes specially made, we are all walking around in something which doesn't quite fit. :)

I sometimes sell vintage clothing (mainly 60s - 80s) and 60s sizes may have forgotten about waists, but they are still very tiny.
    Coats are much smaller across the back and shoulders; sleeve lengths are usually shorter; waists (as well as being a little smaller) are usually a little higher; and a 60s size 10 hip size would probably best fit a today's size 6!

Basically, if buying vintage you need to measure everything and still be prepared to do some alterations. :)

I missed this program. shame. I probably would have enjoyed it.

If you see this in time it's on 4seven ( freeview 47, sky 140) tonight at 8. I just noticed it and came on here to see what it was like. Think I shall have a look.
  • meechyemoomeechyemoo Posts: 659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Janet43 wrote: »
    even buying throw-away fashion you have to measure everything. Apart from there not really being standard proportions, one company's size 12 is another's size 14.

I remember M & S used to sell a "easy fit", which basically meant it was the next size up.

And I don't get the current passion for clothes being skin tight. When I did my City & Guilds in Pattern Cutting and Dressmaking back in the late 1960s, the rule was you allow 2 inches extra around bust, waist and hips for movement. Now some look as if the seams will split any minute.

my mum used to sew for a well known chain. they used to sew so many of every size and when they got an order for size 12s for example, they would sew a 12 label into any stock they had.
  • lady_xanaxlady_xanax Posts: 5,662
    Forum Member
    It's very annoying if you're pear-shaped.

Dawn O'Porter annoys me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 77
    Forum Member
    The woman on tonight's show looks loads better in the vintage stuff. She looks like Mrs Scrap Metal Dealer in the "clubbing" stuff she normally wears.

She didn't want to look 'old' but the stuff she went for was very 'old' in my opinion. Strange.

What planet is Dawn 'O'Porter' from? Why doesn't she ever tell people that they can always, of course, WASH the 2nd hand (vintage) stuff they buy??
    Does she never wash her own clothes?
    She seems to think people are weird for thinking about smelliness etc. and that they should just 'think about the clothes' (whatever that means) and ignore any smell/hygiene issues.
    She did kind of concede and tell 'classy woman' last night that she could 'always get it dry cleaned'. Huh???
    Don't know about you, Dawn, but I wear 'vintage' and 2nd hand clothes most of the time - I ALWAYS WASH them before the first wear though!
    Maybe Dawn has never had to wash anything and just gets her people to dry clean for her or something.
    In my book, pretty much ANYTHING can be carefully handwashed in lukewarm water, especially vintage synthetics, so anyone who would recommend dry-cleaning as a 1st option is clearly from lala land!
  • China GirlChina Girl Posts: 2,755
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can a knowledgeable person on this thread help me out please?

I have a Winter padded waterproof jacket, I've had it for years, it's lovely and warm and comes out every year when the weather turns cold.
    Early this year I caught the back on a sharp nail that was sticking out of a door.
    There is a 4 inch slash across the back. I tried to hand sew it best I could, but the stitching was too obvious and I had to unpick it again.
    I don't want to throw the coat out, even though it's old now.
    Does anyone know what I could do to repair it?
    Thanks in advance ;-)
  • GetMeOuttaHereGetMeOuttaHere Posts: 17,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    China Girl wrote: »

I have a Winter padded waterproof jacket, I've had it for years, it's lovely and warm and comes out every year when the weather turns cold.
    Early this year I caught the back on a sharp nail that was sticking out of a door.
    There is a 4 inch slash across the back. I tried to hand sew it best I could, but the stitching was too obvious and I had to unpick it again.
    Thanks in advance ;-)

Chances are now the outer fabric has been damaged the jacket will no longer be totally waterproof. Can you provide a photograph of the jacket and damage done. Good ideas are a forte of DS members.
  • kampffenhoffkampffenhoff Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    According to my dictionary the word sewer has 3 meanings:
    A conduit for carrying off rainwater or sewage.
    A medieval servant who supervised the serving of meals.
    One that sews.

So it's correct to say I am a bit of a sewer, although I admit it might sound a bit weird. Anyhow, the program was interesting, especially to a person like me who can't sew.
  • Janet43Janet43 Posts: 8,008
    Forum Member

Thanks in advance ;-)
    I'd try a decorative patch - a bought patch, possibly embroidered - stick it on and then spray it with Scotchguard or another waterproofing spray. Might not work, but you'll only lose the cost of materials.
  • cavallicavalli Posts: 18,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lady_xanax wrote: »
    It's very annoying if you're pear-shaped.

Dawn O'Porter annoys me.

Dawn, daft name, daft hair, O'Porter, is the reason I'm just reading the thread and not watching the show...I have an irrational hatred of her :blush:
    Forum Member
    Chances are now the outer fabric has been damaged the jacket will no longer be totally waterproof. Can you provide a photograph of the jacket and damage done. Good ideas are a forte of DS members .

In that case (off topic, I know :blush: )
    But has anyone any idea how to disguise a brush with bleach. I have a favourite black jacket that now has a ginger coloured patch about 3ins square around hip level, after I leaned against a sink that had evidently just been cleaned. :(
    Forum Member
    daisydee wrote: »
    But has anyone any idea how to disguise a brush with bleach. I have a favourite black jacket that now has a ginger coloured patch about 3ins square around hip level, after I leaned against a sink that had evidently just been cleaned. :(
    If it's a real favourite, if it's not synthetic and if it's washable, I'd wash it to make sure there's no bleach left in the fabric, then re-dye it black with either hot or cold water dye depending on which is most suitable for any other fabric in it. Means all fabric in it will take up some of the dye, and maybe even trim and buttons - so remove them first.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I once had bleach speckles on a black skirt, I coloured them in with black permanent marker pen, it worked a treat,
    Not sure it would work on a larger area though.
  • GetMeOuttaHereGetMeOuttaHere Posts: 17,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

If it's cotton or linen you can dye it. If not, you could bleach the entire jacket.
    I once had bleach speckles on a black skirt, I coloured them in with black permanent marker pen, it worked a treat,

I've done that before, brilliant for small marks.

Loving the dresses in this weeks show.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That black dress with the jewels stuck on looked fabulous.
    Forum Member

Ha! I tried that - didn't work too well, the patch is still noticeable in daylight. I did wonder about doing a 'patch dye' I have the dye but haven't had the courage to do it yet. I have never had any success with dying clothes. I once had a coat dyed at the cleaners and it turned out kind of soft and floppy. I never wore it again.
  • HarkAtHerHarkAtHer Posts: 2,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I record this for something to watch when I can't sleep. Seriously! I love any programme about clothes and this is nice and undemanding. Wasn't sure about Dawn but I'm getting used to her, and she can be refreshingly sharp-tongued. But:

- Why does every 'vintage virgin' say the same thing - that the most important thing to them is to look unique, different from everybody else? Besides being an unlikely thing to say, have they ever looked in a mirror?

- When the sewing experts are given old clothes to revive, why do they make them look more high street - for example, by adding a peter pan collar, chopping the hemline, embellishing a neckline with crystals, narrowing trousers... I thought the point was to embrace vintage style :confused:

- Dawn is young, pretty, chirpy, has achieved model-like proportions and has high-maintenance hair and make-up. Bravo Dawn! But I put it to the court that this is the only way to look cool wearing vintage clothes. And even she can't rock yellow flares and a brown cowl neck.
    Forum Member
    HarkAtHer wrote: »
    I record this for something to watch when I can't sleep. Seriously! I love any programme about clothes and this is nice and undemanding. Wasn't sure about Dawn but I'm getting used to her, and she can be refreshingly sharp-tongued. But:

- Why does every 'vintage virgin' say the same thing - that the most important thing to them is to look unique, different from everybody else? Besides being an unlikely thing to say, have they ever looked in a mirror?

- When the sewing experts are given old clothes to revive, why do they make them look more high street - for example, by adding a peter pan collar, chopping the hemline, embellishing a neckline with crystals, narrowing trousers... I thought the point was to embrace vintage style :confused:

- Dawn is young, pretty, chirpy, has achieved model-like proportions and has high-maintenance hair and make-up. Bravo Dawn! But I put it to the court that this is the only way to look cool wearing vintage clothes. And even she can't rock yellow flares and a brown cowl neck.
    I think she looks every bit the 1960s trendy girl in that outfit with her almost Mary Quant hairdo to go with the outfit.

I agree about altering the vintage clothes and giving them a High Street look - it just means the fabric is vintage and not the style.

As someone born in 1943, I've seen all the styles (bit too late for the New Look) and used to copy the clothes of the pop stars of the day. I looked every inch Brenda Lee, Connie Francis, Dusty Springfield, Cilla Black ....... That was in the days when you could pick up short lengths of fabrics from the market very cheaply, and I could run them up in an evening.

Some of Dawn's clothes fit into certain eras, but some are just classic - like the shift, which can fit into modern fashion as well.

And the programme is getting a bit "samey" - a couple of people have clothes which they don't quite like and they get altered; someone hates the idea of vintage clothes but loves them by the end of the programme.
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,548
    Forum Member
    Only seen a couple of these and what a pile of crap. No way are those 'old' dresses/clothes their mothers >:( They look brand new.