Derek Grant Gets 6yrs For Fatally Stabbing Mugger, after Hes Stabbed In the Eye

GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,021
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-29015072

Guess it was because he armed himself with a knife, and went looking for him.

Comments

• dee123dee123 Posts: 46,258
    Forum Member
    It's just a phone. I can see why he was angry, but now he's robbed of time with his family.
  • JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    What an idiot. He not only went out looking for this man armed with a knife, but he also took his two teenage sons with him! I've not much sympathy for him really.
  • SchmiznurfSchmiznurf Posts: 4,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If this was an on the spot thing I would have sympathy but he was after straight up revenge and deserves what he gets.
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Can't say I consider this "justice" really.

The guy was simply attempting to get his property returned when he was attacked and defended himself.

The fact that people have so little faith in the police's ability to successfully resolve situations like this is a damning indictment of our society and the police and the courts should consider themselves at least partially responsible for this situation.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member
    The mugger would have only got a light sentence and a fine and told not to do it again so the real victim in all this is his victim who took matters into his own hands.
    Clint Eastwood's Dirty Harry and Charles Bronson's character in the Death Wish films had the right idea.
    If we had police like Judge Dredd on the streets I'd feel a lot safer. I'd sack the soft judges and name and shame them, make the do-gooders who cry offenders' rights take the offenders' places in prison or make them share a cell with them.
    If the judges gave out tougher sentences and prisons were harsher there wouldn't be as much need for vigilanties.
  • idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    Si_Crewe wrote: »

Me neither. Grant should have known not to try and confront anybody he knew was armed with a knife, and as such has a life-changing injury, not to mention a criminal conviction and a prison sentence. But right up to the actual physical assault, can it be said that he initiated this man's death? The mugger had the chance to hand back the property, and instead stabbed Grant, who acted in self-defence in my opinion.
  • ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
    Forum Member
    Good riddance to the mugger.

I hope Mr Grant's time in prison goes as well as it can, and that he's released at the soonest opportunity.
    Forum Member
    I also think that had I been Grant, I may have pleaded not guilty so that the argument could have been put to a jury of my peers, who I think may well have been more sympathetic to the circumstances.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,692
    Forum Member
    motsy wrote: »
    The mugger would have only got a light sentence and a fine and told not to do it again so the real victim in all this is his victim who took matters into his own hands.
    Clint Eastwood's Dirty Harry and Charles Bronson's character in the Death Wish films had the right idea.
    If we had police like Judge Dredd on the streets I'd feel a lot safer. I'd sack the soft judges and name and shame them, make the do-gooders who cry offenders' rights take the offenders' places in prison or make them share a cell with them.
    If the judges gave out tougher sentences and prisons were harsher there wouldn't be as much need for vigilanties.

He killed the Giggler, man. HE KILLED THE GIGGLER!
  • jesayajesaya Posts: 35,597
    Forum Member
    He took justice into his own hands and, instead of calling the police, went looking for the mugger. His conviction and sentence was correct in my view - trying to go round the law caused injury to the man himself and cost the life of someone else.
  • Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »

The guy was simply attempting to get his property returned when he was attacked and defended himself.
    You left out "Armed with a lethal weapon and got his three sons involved in a murder".
  • TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    idlewilde wrote: »
    Me neither. Grant should have known not to try and confront anybody he knew was armed with a knife, and as such has a life-changing injury, not to mention a criminal conviction and a prison sentence.

Did he know that Bradley had a knife though? The article doesn't mention that Bradley was armed until he was confronted and attacked Grant, so the knife (presumably) was only there for self-defence and to encourage Bradley to return the phone.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You left out "Armed with a lethal weapon and got his three sons involved in a murder".

Except it wasn't a murder.
    Forum Member
    Did he know that Bradley had a knife though? The article doesn't mention that Bradley was armed until he was confronted and attacked Grant, so the knife (presumably) was only there for self-defence and to encourage Bradley to return the phone.

I think he had good reason to expect he would be
    At the High Court in Livingston judge Lord Boyd noted that Bradley "was a man of violence" and had "10 convictions for assault" prior to his death.

He told Grant: "But you, of course you did not know that. What you did know was that earlier that night Patrick Bradley had robbed your son of his mobile phone at knifepoint.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^^^ Ah, I read only that his son was robbed, not that he was robbed at knifepoint. I only skim-read the article.

Kind of changes things really. Rather stupid going after someone with a knife. I'm not sure what he expected Bradley to do - simply hand over the phone when confronted??
  • claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Appropriate justice for stealing an iPhone is not stabbing someone to death. Anyone who thinks it is probably needs to be locked up for the safety of others because that reaction is entirely disproportionate. What kind of nutcase decides that picking up a knife and going after the man is the right thing to do? He's not a justice warrior, he's a stupid vigilante and deserves his prison sentence.
    Forum Member
    ^^^ Ah, I read only that his son was robbed, not that he was robbed at knifepoint. That info came later in the article (which I only skim-read).

Kind of changes things really. Rather stupid going after someone with a knife. I'm not sure what he expected Bradley to do - simply hand over the phone when confronted??

Yeah, pretty reckless to go after somebody you know will be tooled up, which is why he did the same, to even things up. But I also understand his wish to reclaim his son's stolen property. Unfortunately things went bad, but there is nothing to suggest he initiated the actual fateful exchange.
    Forum Member
    claire2281 wrote: »
    Appropriate justice for stealing an iPhone is not stabbing someone to death. Anyone who thinks it is probably needs to be locked up for the safety of others because that reaction is entirely disproportionate. What kind of nutcase decides that picking up a knife and going after the man is the right thing to do? He's not a justice warrior, he's a stupid vigilante and deserves his prison sentence.

He didn't stab him for stealing the iphone, he stabbed him when he was himself being stabbed in the eye.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    claire2281 wrote: »

BiB - can you direct me to the posts where people are stating that Bradley deserved to die or that it's acceptable him being fatally stabbed for stealing an iPhone? I think you may be creating your very own strawman here.

Bearing in mind that Grant wasn't convicted of murder but culpable homicide, do you understand that Bradley died due to initiating the attack, rather than Grant killing him in a premeditated attack?
  • pianofortepianoforte Posts: 630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The mugger had 10 previous convictions for assault.
    Says a lot about justice in this country that those convictions meant nothing to him when he stole a phone and stabbed someone in the eye.
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    idlewilde wrote: »
    He didn't stab him for stealing the iphone, he stabbed him when he was himself being stabbed in the eye.

He went looking for the mugger brandishing a lethal weapon. What did the moron think would happen? That they would sit down to tea and the mugger would apologise?

I have no sympathy for the idiot.
  • nobodyherenobodyhere Posts: 1,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Purposely seeking out the mugger was just plain reckless, and bringing his sons along put their lives at risk as well as his own, hes very lucky to have just lost an eye
    Forum Member
    He went looking for the mugger brandishing a lethal weapon. What did the moron think would happen? That they would sit down to tea and the mugger would apologise?

I have no sympathy for the idiot.

Yeah it was pretty dumb really. He was correct in his assumption that Bradley might try to stab him however.
  • bitchboybluebitchboyblue Posts: 2,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I originally read the title and thought the mugger had mugged him, stabbed him in the eye and he had managed to wrestle the knife on him and stabbed him to death. If this had been the case, I would have had a lot of sympathy and dont think he would have been jailed.

As it is, the man was bloody stupid and now he is paying the price, deservedly so.
    Forum Member
    I originally read the title and thought the mugger had mugged him, stabbed him in the eye and he had managed to wrestle the knife on him and stabbed him to death. If this had been the case, I would have had a lot of sympathy and dont think he would have been jailed.

As it is, the man was bloody stupid and now he is paying the price, deservedly so.

Yes, the whole conviction seems to hang on the fact that he used his own knife, and not the mugger's. Same result, but at which the outcome may have been very different for him.