Options

guinea pigs life span ????????

zoepaulpennyzoepaulpenny Posts: 15,951
Forum Member
✭✭
Hi all, does anyone actually know from experiance how long the average life span of a GUINEA PIG is ? we have 2 females
and are about 2-3 years old. thanks.

Comments

• Options
    duffsdadduffsdad Posts: 11,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My Tilly-pig was around four and a half if she was the eight weeks they told us when we got her.

But she lived in the utility room where it was warm with her two other friends.

A lot can depend on conditions and whether they have friends. I'm told outdoor, solo pigs have a shorter outlook.
  • Options
    DevilGirlDevilGirl Posts: 210
    Forum Member
    i have 2 girls which have just turned 5 years old this week and still shout for thier food and dont have any problems at all apart from holly jsut being lazy :p

I have one girl who is 4 years 2 months

I have 2 girls and 1 boy who are 3 years 9 months

I have 4 boys who are 3 years 6 months

One of mine died 2 weeks ago and he was 4 years 2months

I think some can live up to 6,7 years
  • Options
    Forum Member
    duffsdad wrote: »
    My Tilly-pig was around four and a half if she was the eight weeks they told us when we got her.

But she lived in the utility room where it was warm with her two other friends.

A lot can depend on conditions and whether they have friends. I'm told outdoor, solo pigs have a shorter outlook.

mine live outside and as i allready said i have 2 which have just turned 5, mine all live in gorups aprat from one who lives on his own now (he tired to kill one of his little borthers)

2 of the cadges are under a carport and all cadges have hutch huggers cover things on them which i can put down during the day to keep them warm and there can still see outside etc, there have etc covers which go down at night. i also put loades of extra hay in in winter (i buy it be the bale)
  • Options
    xdowxdow Posts: 2,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anything after 5 or 6 years is often referred to as a long lived piggie

they can go on for 8-10 years, depending on breeding, health and how well they are cared for
  • Options
    Forum Member
    xdow wrote: »
    anything after 5 or 6 years is often referred to as a long lived piggie

they can go on for 8-10 years, depending on breeding, health and how well they are cared for

well meggie must have good health as she has had nothing wrong with her she has never been to the vets other then to have her nails cut. and she is one of my 5 year olds. my holly meggies half sister who is 5 as well as only ever had one thing wrong with her and that was an infection in her paw.

but then i have my lily who is 4 years she has given birth to 8 babies, had PND, nearly broke her food (she jumped out of my hand) and at the moment has somthing wrong with her eye.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DevilGirl wrote: »
    well meggie must have good health as she has had nothing wrong with her she has never been to the vets other then to have her nails cut. and she is one of my 5 year olds. my holly meggies half sister who is 5 as well as only ever had one thing wrong with her and that was an infection in her paw.

but then i have my lily who is 4 years she has given birth to 8 babies, had PND, nearly broke her food (she jumped out of my hand) and at the moment has somthing wrong with her eye.

the two we have one comes from a rescue centre and the other one came from my son, both around same age when we had them. they live outside in a 8ft hutch, we buy Timothy hay we think this is the best, we bought some other hay and one of the pigs had a mite infestion around the eye.
    and the fur was soming out, we took her to vets and got cream and antibiotics injection. £45..had to take her back 3 times before all clear, vets said very common is mite's in the hay.
    Over the hutch we keep an old quilt which we pull over during cold spells, and a waterproof thin shower curtain that covers the front in rainy days,
    we also gave them special hay for eating. we like to think they are well cared for.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    some of mine had mites when there was babies one got it and then some of the others got it aswell. so we got them hay from the shops likes pets at home and when there where older we slowly changed them back to the bale hay.
  • Options
    JosquiusJosquius Posts: 1,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had one once who lived until she was 8. She lived in the shed with a rabbit and some other guinea pigs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DevilGirl wrote: »
    some of mine had mites when there was babies one got it and then some of the others got it aswell. so we got them hay from the shops likes pets at home and when there where older we slowly changed them back to the bale hay.

depending on the mite, it's not always the hay, i've always used baled farm hay, never had any mites arise from that

from stress and other influences( mainly that they came with them), yes, but mainly they tend to flare up when the guinea pigs have been under some strain or stress
    i had a first time mum lose all the fur on her back end due to them, she'd scratched herself raw with them, but three weeks of ivermectin drops and bathing her sores saw her back to full health

her sister and pups never developed infesations despite being housed together
  • Options
    Lightning T5Lightning T5 Posts: 844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One of my last ones, Cuddles who was a male lasted for around 7 years, he died in 2008 and I'm sure we got him in around the 2001 mark, what a guy
  • Options
    burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    5 is considered old for a guinea pig, although I've had them live till they're 8.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i suppose they are like all other living creatures, age varies to diet and being looked after..:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I lost one of my two girls last week, she was 5 years and 4 months old. I had them both as tiny babies from PaH. They live indoors but I put them out in a run on warm sunny days. Smudge seems to be doing ok on her own, doesn't noticeably seem to be pining. I won't get any more now, I have had piggies for the last 20 years, used to breed them and had 18 at one time. I lost one little boy when he was only 3, but 5 to 6 seems to be about the average age sadly. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sorry you lost one of your little girls. it must be heart breaking for you. i am not sure the sole survivor, will be happy on it's own, they need to be in pairs, as i am sure you know. being a breeder. would be nice if you could get one at the same age to be her mate. same sex of course.. :D
  • Options
    PlasticGobPlasticGob Posts: 1,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Our Goldmoon is 6. Maggie who passed away last year was also 6 we took her in the previous May after her owner didn't want her anymore. Maggie was living with a rabbit in the bottom of the garden. :( She found true friendship with our Bupu but sadly Bupu died last September and Maggie followed her in the January, she never looked up after Bupu really. :(

I totally agree it depends ont he conditions, all mine are indoors (we run a sanctuary) and changed regularly and fed the right food. It is important to find the right vet too. Our youngest pig Jova has been so ill lately and without the right care he wouldn't be here.

5 is deemed as OAP they have 14 birthdays a year to our 1. :)
  • Options
    missmaisiemissmaisie Posts: 170
    Forum Member
    My piggie Romeo lived until he was 8 and was a right character. He lived outside my kitchen door in an area where he had a free run, so I left his door open all day - he used to come when I called him. He made it quite plain that he didn't want me to shut the cage door at all by squeaking really loudly and head butting the door open when I tried to close it in the evenings - he's been gone for 9 years now and thoughts of him still give me a warm glow, he was fantastic :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    you can get lots of pleasure from pets, and these include small animals as well. look after them and they will thank you for it.. LOVE YOUR PETS..
  • Options
    shoesgirlshoesgirl Posts: 179
    Forum Member
    Our shortest lived one died at 18 months but his brother from the same litter and kept in exactly the same conditions lived to the ripe old age of 7 and a half and out lived four younger ones in the process.

Our current Guineas are 2 years old but in our experience 4-5 years is about average.
  • Options
    JinnyJinxedJinnyJinxed Posts: 878
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I guess I've been very lucky with our piggies. The youngest one that passed away one was 7 months old and a pet shop rescue. All the others have lived into their teens. The oldest we had passed away when she was a week from turning 14yrs old.

I saw the real change in their condition when I changed from pet shop hay, and put them on bale hay straight from the farmer. I also used Carefresh and a thick layer of Hay as the bedding too. And then had a cage as big as I could make it in the space available and had levels to it also. They had lots of floor time and I used to string up veg from the top of the cage so they had to work to get their treats and food. Doing that really seemed to make them very happy little piggies.

Hope yours brings you lots of fun and happiness, and my condolences to those who've lost their fuzzy companions.
  • Options
    mocha-lattemocha-latte Posts: 2,472
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Both kept in side, one lived 6 years the other around 7
    think that's a good age, ..was few years ago but awww still miss them :cry:
  • Options
    PlasticGobPlasticGob Posts: 1,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Our shortest lived piggy was Meep. She was born here after we took her in because someone was breeding back to back and with relation piggys!

She lived for 8 days, legs were at different lengths and she had a deformed back end. She was in no pain and we tried everything to get her to eat, feeding her every couple of hours, even of a night. She did well for a six days then the last two days it was a slow decline and we decided to let her pass. Her mum Glynis had rejected her because of her disability, nature of the wild I guess, her sister Madeleine is still with us she is 1 and a half now. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ah...
    Hubby and I **love** Piggies.
    They are such special little creatures aren't they?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the shortest lived one i was was un-named in the end. he was about three days when he passed
    my peppers first pup, not sure if she rejected him or just didn't know what to do with him. bless him.

we kept him in with his mum & sarah with her recent litter hoping that she might feed him or pepper would catch on, but she never did
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sad when they die so young, so sad..
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We had quite a few guinea pigs when I was a child, and apart from one they all lived past 5 years old...2 of them lived until they were 7 or 8 years old.

They lived outside in a hutch all year round and were out in a run day and night during the summer months. My dad built the hutches and run himself, including a very clever folding "lid" for the top of the run, and some removable insulation for the hutch in winter...It was like a guinea pig hotel :D

The only time they ever came inside was on bonfire night when the were kept in a box in the kitchen covered with a blanket.