Richard Wilson "Comes Out"

13»

Comments

• Miss ListerMiss Lister Posts: 289
    Forum Member
    My friend works with Richard Wilson and he said a nicer man you couldn't hope to meet.

I also asked him if he'd ever been tempted to utter the famous catch phrase in his presence and apparently he had never seen any episodes of 'One foot'. Of course I replied, 'I don't ...!' :D
  • Jon RossJon Ross Posts: 3,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BinCat wrote: »
    Some of the youtube comments actually seem to be sticking up for Manning, which is weird. I thought he was universally despised.

Manning didn't become a millionaire by being universally despised.
  • TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
    Forum Member
    i never knew he was gay, good for him for coming out and proud, have never met him, think he is a fantastic actor though
  • katmobilekatmobile Posts: 10,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jon Ross wrote: »
    Manning didn't become a millionaire by being universally despised.

But by the 90s he'd become a bit of a dinosaur in terms of comedy - the alternative comedy scene of the 80s was a reaction to comedians like Manning.
  • Jon RossJon Ross Posts: 3,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    katmobile wrote: »
    But by the 90s he'd become a bit of a dinosaur in terms of comedy - the alternative comedy scene of the 80s was a reaction to comedians like Manning.

Of course it was, but even when he wasn't on TV he was still making a fortune doing his live shows. He wasn't struggling.
  • MissCultureMissCulture Posts: 704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That episode of Mrs Merton with Manning on it, I thought Richard handled the whole cringe-fest very well and I particularly loved him when a lady in the audience behind him called out to get his attention by saying 'Victor' and Richard immediately turn around and said 'yes?'...that he did not correct her or admonish her for calling him by his character name shows what a great sort he is. Great moment that...did anyone else catch it?
  • MissCultureMissCulture Posts: 704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Build-up - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88kzmOUTqfw
    Bust-up - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghGRd1hp8ZE
    Racist - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dL13o8UCMyU

Bernard Manning made a complete fool of himself (as he invariably did)

I love the way Richard's voice goes into Victor-mode at times when he's trying to get a word in:D
    Manning got seriously nasty when his jokes were not going well there...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 304
    Forum Member
    BinCat wrote: »
    Some of the youtube comments actually seem to be sticking up for Manning, which is weird. I thought he was universally despised.

Looking at the comments though, the ones sticking up for Bernard seem like morons tbh, he was a horrible peice of work, wasn't eh:mad:
  • M@nterikM@nterik Posts: 6,982
    Forum Member
    I love the way Richard's voice goes into Victor-mode at times when he's trying to get a word in:D
    Manning got seriously nasty when his jokes were not going well there...

Wilson handled that magnificently. Loved his 'victor' mode.
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jon Ross wrote: »
    Of course it was, but even when he wasn't on TV he was still making a fortune doing his live shows. He wasn't struggling.

Whilst old fashioned un-PC comedy like Manning's disappeared from TV in the 80's the audience for it didn't, they're largely the same kind of people who watch Mrs Brown's Boys today.
  • RadioKnowerRadioKnower Posts: 2,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The difference is, Mrs Brown's Boys isn't malicious. It could be argued it goes after a cheap laugh like Manning.

I think it's without foundation to say all the people who enjoy Mrs Brown's Boys would enjoy Manning's comedy. There is probably some crossover granted, but I think you're just being a comedy snob if the suggestion is Mrs Brown's Boys is just going after the kind of audience who would like Manning's stuff.
  • MadonnaMIXMadonnaMIX Posts: 9,692
    Forum Member
    Good on him :)
  • Laptop LilLaptop Lil Posts: 2,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Always knew that Richard was gay even years ago, but hey seems like a nice guy and a good actor.